- Axes (One and two handed).
- Hammers are being considered.
- Maces (One and two handed).
- Potion launchers.
- Swords/Rapiers (One and two handed).
- 1 Class weapons and armor
- 2 Racial weapons and armor
- 3 Ashes of Creation Apocalypse weapons
- 4 Gear slots
- 5 Guns and gunpowder
- 6 Weapon progression
- 7 Ashes of Creation Apocalypse weapon skills
- 8 Legendary items
- 9 Gear sets
- 10 Gear appearance
- 11 Summoned weapons
- 12 Artwork
- 13 See also
- 14 References
Class weapons and armor
Weapons are intended to be somewhat agnostic in the sense that you can find a way for a weapon to be utilized by different classes. Not just the rogue is going to be able to use daggers. Because if you restrict equipment through that, it makes the economy more difficult to have sustainability across the market of items. – Steven Sharif
Racial weapons and armor
The customization of equipment per race is really focused on Armor sets not Weapon props. Weapon props will, from a model standpoint, will translate pretty one-to-one across the races. – Steven Sharif
Let's say for example you have the Eagle set or something, right: The Eagle set has in art, it has a thematic design that's going to include certain attachments to the armor. It's going to include color palette and theme. It's going to have some aspects to it that define it as the Eagle set, right. When a Elf wears the Eagle set or when an Orc wears the Eagle set, you obviously have two different cultures there; and you don't want to stomp out that culture by assigning a de facto 'This is the Eagle set and this is how it looks on everybody.' What we want to have is cultural influences play a role in showing how that set looks. – Steven Sharif
When you say, what if I'm an Orc but want to look like an Elf and I want my Eagle set to be the Elf representation? Well the issue becomes there that you know Orcs have a different organic model. You know, their body is different than that of the Elf. So, from a scope-creep standpoint, it's one thing to add different influences that represent the cultures that are donning the armor; it's another thing to adapt each influence as a matrix that can be worn pretty much by everything. From a scope perspective, that's a very difficult task for the character artists to kind of tackle. So instead what we've done is, in order to facilitate a variety of cultural representation between the races but allow for the sharing of assets like different armor sets, we give different representations of those armor sets to each race. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse weapons
- Archmage's Companion
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse weapon variants
- Crossbow of Revealing
- Greatsword of Haste
- Grimoire of the Fallen Sky
- Longbow of Miasma
- Paladin's Might
- Rusty Axe
- Rusty Sword
- The Rifter
- The Silencer
- Thundering Mace
- Wand of Light
Alpha-1 weapon rarities
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse weapon skills
|Alacrity||For the duration of this stance, your successful attacks will increase your run speed.
|Bolt of Revealing||After activating this spell, the next bolt you fire will reveal all characters hidden by terrain, structures, or invisibility in its area of effect.
|Chain Lightning||Activate to charge your attacks with lightning - each hit can then arc between foes, dealing damage to each one.
|Chaos Meteor||Summon a meteor. Comes with an ADS (Aim Down Sights) capability. When Chaos Meteor explodes, it breaks into 2-5 magical shards, each of which has a random effect across a very large area.
|Crimson Blast||This spell will invoke a destructive cone of force and flame at enemies in front of you.
|Darkness||When activated, your next arrow will explode in a cloud of darkness on impact.
|Divine Light||For the duration of this spell, your attacks will mark your foes with a divine light that can be seen for miles.
|Divine Protection||For the duration of this stance, you will take cover benind your shield's enhanced protection.
|Fire Potion||Generates a fire explosion.|
|Frost Potion||Swap your explosive potion for a potion of frost. It will burst on the first bounce, leaving an area of bitter cold that slows your enemies.
|Hemorrhage||For the duration of this stance, any hit will apply a debuff to your enemies, dealing damage to them with every step they take.
|Lifesteal||For the duration of this stance, your successful attacks will steal life from your foes, and render it unto you.
|Miasma||After you activate this spell, your next arrow will summon a dark miasma that clings to any foes that touch it, dealing damage over time.
|Silence||Applies a debuff that prevents your opponent from being able to use spells.
|Stamina Drain||For the duration of this stance, your attacks will drain your opponent's stamina and stop their stamina regen for 5 seconds.
|Stillblade ability||For the duration of this stance, your attacks will slow your opponent's movements.
|Warp Space||For the duration of this spell, any successful hit will swap your location with that of your target.
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse active blocking
- Characters performing ranged abilities will switch to the ranged weapon, then can switch back to the melee weapon and shield or two-handed melee weapon.
- The weapon held in the main hand slot determines the active weapon ability.
Do I want my main hand to be my ranged weapon or do I want my main hand to be my melee weapon with regards to skill usage. For example, with the Ranger, if you have a range skill it'll automatically swap regardless of what your main weapon hand is, but for the combat ability for the "Auto Attack" feature it would be your chosen weapon. – Steven Sharif
Guns and gunpowder
As we said in the past, were not really about that black powder life. Instead it's really going to be focused on the arcane arts: The elements; the use of radiance and darkness; and then those being employed in larger weaponry, such as the type of siege weaponry between ship battles as well as those and sieges. A potion launcher is an example of the arcane energies that can be mastered in order to facilitate these highly destructive alchemical blends that can be created. – Steven Sharif
- Currently the weapon use ability/combo determines special effects that proc. This system might change to adapt to weapon progression.
- Ancillary effects proc based on enchantment types.
- Gear enhancements (power stones) can be applied to add elemental or energy types of damage.
- A skill tree is used to grant effects: making them better or branching off into different directions.
- Passive skills will enable players to work toward mastery of a weapon.
- Weapon proficiency (based on length of use of a weapon) is not a planned feature.
- Q: Are weapons balanced towards a proficiency system (i.e. the longer I use a sword, the better my damage will be), or will it be a normal RPG stat system with no long-term scaling?
- A: We will not be using a proficiency system as described, but players will have passives available in their skill tree that will increase effectiveness of certain weapons. Becoming a master of swords will be something that is possible, just not in that particular manner. – Sarah Flanagan
Ashes of Creation is all about providing many progression paths... The reason why we don't like the term endgame is because with the amount of progression that's available with the amount of diversity and player agency that that impacts the world... We kind of want the the weapon system and add an element of that as well... You can determine special effects that proc from currently the combo system right; you can determine ancillary effects that proc based on enchantment types; you can power stone weapons to add different either elemental types of damage and/or energy that kind of play rock paper scissor with player defenses ... and then you can skill tree out how those effects that are granted ... you can make them better you can branch them off into a different direction. – Steven Sharif
We are very likely going to have a rune system and then we'll have the ability to sort of enchant weapons outside of that too... That's not always going to be like a vertical progression... Some of it's going to be giving up something to get something else; so maybe I do less physical damage but more magical damage, that kind of thing. – Jeffrey Bard
- There isn't RNG in crafting but there may be a small amount of RNG in enchanting.
- Over-enchanting items may come with a potential risk that the item is destroyed.
- Vertical enchantments are a power progression for a crafted item. More damage or mitigations, added effects or bonuses.
- Vertical enchantments include risks.
- Horizontal enchantments are more situational. For example: I'd like my sword to do force damage instead of holy damage because the monsters I tend to fight are incorporeal.
- This doesn't make the item more powerful, but instead more applicable to different situations, and less so to others.
- This type of enchanting assumes no risk, just time and effort.
Power creep is a balance issue... When it comes to gear progression specifically, the idea is to create an open market that is not heavily dependent on soulbound items; and having many item sinks and gold sinks within that economy that allows for the potential degradation and loss of assets within that closed economy; and not introduce items from the marketplace that companies put in from a pay-to-win perspective or from a pay-to-convenience perspective that undermines the economy that players have built. That is a huge mistake that companies have made in the past and that lends to the imbalancing of what designers maybe have actually balanced well. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse weapon skills
- Swapping between weapons will allow players to access the different skills on their hotbar.
- Certain armor pieces have utility and defensive skills, such as like Camouflage, Polymorph and Battlefield wall.
- Weapons are tied to one specific skill in early testing, but this may change.
Weapons will have skills associated with them and they'll will rest on a hot bar and you can swap between the weapons on the hot bar and that'll allow you to access the different skills. Additionally the breastplate, the leggings: Those also have skills associated with them those are more utility and defensive abilities, such as like camouflage, polymorph, battlefield wall; that kind of stuff. Those are on the armor pieces and then they are associated with right now the VC hotkeys for their abilities. – Steven Sharif
Right now weapons are tied to one specific skill; and you know that's just again because we're so early in alpha 1; but well probably be changing that as we continue to iterate and test. – Steven Sharif
- Weapon skills are applied to augment a class' base skills.
- Base class skills may be able to be selected from a host of available skills for that class based on a player's progression within that season.
We had a little bit of an idea that we're going to explore with regards to each of the classes having a range of skills and abilities that players can customize that skill kit based on their progression within a season, let's say; and that progression can be gained from any of the modes and it would grant you the ability to kind of customize that skill kit for the before the siege mode or the horde mode. But that's something that might come at a later date. – Steven Sharif
Weapon use ability
- Each weapon use ability has a unique keystroke time-frame that initiates upon weapon use.
- The precision system (hitting within the red area) activates the skill.
- The skill can then combo into other weapon use abilities.
- Hitting within the red area focuses energy into a player's ultimate skill.
What we're implementing now are many different features to represent the system. Something that doesn't draw your attention away from the world or the center of your screen necessarily. Something that can work on a more of a visual cue and/or auditory cue. It's important to note what the objective of the combo system was. The objective was a vehicle to take weapon progression to implement skills that can be demonstrated to fuel a secondary energy type that's focused that players can spec into focus oriented skills and to provide a non mindless skill-based interaction with combat from a weapons standpoint. So with that being the focus you know we're going to implement ways to make that better received I think by players; and if it's not, if it is something that we are unable to achieve we're not going to ram it down our players throats. We're going to take it back to the drawing board. – Steven Sharif
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Bow's combo||Target an enemy and use your bow to strike with two arrows. Dealing damage and powering up your focus with this weapon attack.||Prepares four arrows.||Prepared shot works on all arrow attacks.|
|Longsword combo||Target an enemy and use your sword and shield to strike with multiple blows. Dealing damage and powering up your focus with this weapon attack.||-||-|
|Spellbook combo||Target an enemy and use magic missiles from your spellbook to strike with multiple blows. Dealing damage and powering up your focus with this weapon attack.||-||-|
|Staff combo||Target an enemy and use your staff to strike with multiple blows. Dealing damage and powering up your focus with this weapon attack.||-||-|
Weapon use ability status
It's got a little bit of a cadence to it: you can tap, you can generate focus; and so from here we'll look at ways in the future to take that and make it more interesting and more fun and more engaging. – Akil Hooper
There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time.
It will be a very ornate and detailed weapon, more so than any other weapon or piece of equipment in the game. It will also include some awesome looking effects that won't too gaudy, you know they won't be too bright and shiny so that it doesn't look good, but they will be subtle and people will notice it and know wow that guy has this weapon. – Steven Sharif
The amount of effort needed and interdependencies across the different types of players – between raiders and PvPers and crafters and even role players and the taverns and businesses: the processors and gatherers – all of those systems will likely have a component that lends toward creating or crafting that legendary item... We want to stay away from the highly RNGd system, and instead take our multiple progression paths that we are offering the players and put the construction components for achieving these legendary items within them so it encourages communities to work together because it's going to be difficult for just one person by themselves to gather everything. Not to say that they couldn't in an economic sense, by buying those components, that's possible. But achieving them from a time investment standpoint we want it to be considerably less RNG focussed. – Steven Sharif
Legendary items are not intended to be temporary.
The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary. – Steven Sharif
- Players gain bonuses depending on the number of pieces of the set they have equipped.
- There are passive abilities that can be chosen to become more adept with certain set types.
- There may be set bonuses that members of certain communities will obtain based on gear set type.
- There are tiers of gear that players can access based on their level.
- There will be viable non-set builds.
- Certain set bonuses may trade off core gear stats.
- Racial appearance of gear sets is tied to the character model of that race.
- Cosmetic slots can be toggled on or off.
- Gear is intended to be realistic in appearance.
I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of an immersive issue. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse weapon variants
- A new chapter will be released every 10 weeks.
- Between 15 and 20 cosmetic rewards are earnable in every chapter.
- Daily and weekly quests will allow players to gain up to 50 levels (matching the intended level cap for the Ashes of Creation MMORPG).
- Advancing through these levels allows players to unlock unique cosmetic rewards, such as weapon skins.
You're going to have an adventuring path and that adventuring path is going to come with weekly quests and daily quests that you can participate in that will be available for the Castle sieges for the Horde and for the Battle Royale; and as you complete these quests you're going to gain experience; and right now you have up to 50 levels, which matches the intended cap for Ashes of Creation. Fifty levels of the adventure path that you can advance in; and as you advance in each of these levels you're going to be unlocking certain assets, such as these weapon skins. Now the great thing about player's progress in Apocalypse is that you will share the same account from Apocalypse to Ashes of Creation the MMORPG and anything that you earn in Apocalypse will be in Ashes of Creation the MMORPG- a unique as a skin exactly: A skin that you will have access to for helping us test write Apocalypse and preparing these different Alpha and Beta stages for Ashes of Creation. – Steven Sharif
Kickstarter weapon skins
- Usable on all types of weapons.
- Include subtle and tasteful glow/particle effects.
- The word "equip" only applies to items. There are currently no plans to include summoning items into a player's inventory or character slots. It may however be possible to change the appearance and damage type/data of a weapon through the use of a spell.
- There are summoned weapons that appear as a spell VFX to damage opponents for a period of time. These will not be able to be wielded, since weilding implies an item in a character equipment slot.
- The mighty beard!
- Livestream, 30 June 2017 (27:05).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (14:15).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (33:56).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (45:21).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (33:27).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (18:40).
- Livestream, 15 December 2017 (59:49).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (47:05).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (45:37).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (44:11).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (20:46).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (53:43).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (55:17).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (22:02).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:24:21).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (18:19).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (6:03).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (7:49).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (24:54).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (16:32).
- Livestream, 30 June 2017 (47:14).
- Livestream, 16 June 2017 (40:06).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (33:36).
- Video, 17 August 2018 (0:01).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:16:10).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (6:32).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (34:32).
- Livestream, 16 June 2017 (43:01).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (17:57).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (1:11:19).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (21:37).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (58:55).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (20:41).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:53:52).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (6:53).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (7:52).
- Livestream, 11 January 2019 (41:20).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (11:38).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (8:16).
- Livestream, 11 January 2019 (58:40).
- Reddit Q&A, 8 January 2019.
- Livestream, 30 June 2017 (26:47).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (54:40).
- PAX West 2017 Ranger poster.
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (45:21).
- PAX West 2017 Tank poster.
- PAX West 2017 Mage poster.
- PAX West 2017 Cleric poster.
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (57:42).
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (22:46).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (44:18).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (38:08).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (55:49).
- Livestream, 9 July 2018 (25:34).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (22:33).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (56:07).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (5:28).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (50:29).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (19:51).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (54:56).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (9:47).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (48:56).
- 2018-12-08 Newsletter.
- Livestream, 6 December 2018 (28:45).
- Livestream, 6 December 2018 (33:55).
- Livestream, 6 December 2018 (26:12).
- May The 4th, Be With You... And also some skins.