- Some resources will be one-time gatherables that will randomly respawn at a different location once collected.
- Other resources will exist as a cluster (also called vein gatherables). These will last until the full resource is depleted.
- Like a large mine that's present and has a vein of mithril ore in it, or a herd of some type of animal that you can collect fur or wool from. – Steven Sharif
- Resources won't be locked to the node system.
- Some unique resources may be monsters in disguise or have monsters defending them.
We want our players to have a reason to explore the wilderness, to travel with purpose, and much of that will be driven by our resource system. Transporting these goods might just be more difficult than gathering them. Our regional market system allows players to participate in creating pocket economies that will reinforce the stability of goods in particular regions.
We really want resources to be persistent and non-renewable. If there’s a mithril vein, that mithril vein will be there until it runs out. The server will manage these amounts on its own, and will repopulate things where and when it desires. You might find another mithril vein in that location sometime later, or somewhere nearby, or maybe never again!
- 1 Loot tables
- 2 Resource quality
- 3 Gathering skills
- 4 Resource extractors
- 5 List of resources
- 6 Gathering
- 7 Seasonal resources
- 8 Underrealm resources
- 9 Resource locations
- 10 Castle regions
- 11 Processing
- 12 Crafting
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- Hunting certificates is a term that covers items, such as Pelts that house the value of a mob's death. These certificates are specific to an economic region.
- A wolf is not going to be carrying a sack of gold. It may instead drop "pelts" that can be traded for gold.
- Hunting certificates will also drop on a character's death.
- Hunting certificates can be traded with hunter NPCs within nodes.
- The level of the node and the distance of the node from the drop will determine the value of the certificate. Certificates redeemed from distant economic regions via the caravan system will provide higher returns (4 to 5 times greater in some cases) than certificates collected from the same region.
- The value of the certificates are also calculated (by the world manager algorithm) based on the volume of certificates being redeemed in each region.
- Hunting certificates can also be stored within node warehouses.
- There is a much higher chance that materials and unique recipes are dropped that can be used to craft items of equitable value.
- There is a small RNG chance of looting rare and legendary items or crafting materials from mobs based on the level, status and type of mob. This also applies to harvesting resources with a gathering profession.
- Legendary equipment is only dropped by Legendary world bosses.
- Gatherers who are more advanced in their artisan tree will unlock higher level harvesting tools that have a greater chance of collecting higher quality resources or proccing a greater quantity.
You will have an opportunity to proc certain qualities based on your progression in the Artisan tree. So if you are a gatherer; and as you advance in your gathering, you'll have a higher opportunity to collect better resources. – Steven Sharif
|Harvest||The harvest skill allows players to gather resources.|
Resource extractors are potential constructions that can collect resources over time.
- Available to node citizens who own a freehold near a "resource center".
- Requires several people to construct.
- Moving resources from the extractor will likely require a caravan.
List of resources
- Gatherable resources are discovered by trial-and-error and by learning their visuals.
- Gathering requires the creation and use of tools.
- Gathering within a node's Zone of influence (ZOI) will contribute to its experience growth.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting.
Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting. So for example you know if I'm gathering... leaves of the blue petal flower to craft a pigment that's going to be used in the development of a tunic that I can wear at level one, then I may need to collect those in order to craft the pigments to craft a greater pigment that might be present in the in the crafting of a higher level item. So it's going to be kind of a tiered progression so that materials have relevancy throughout the different levels of of crafting; and that's important from an economic stability standpoint. You need to have layered demand from a supply standpoint so that players who are interested in collecting and gathering those materials still are relevant when the later level items are crafted. – Steven Sharif
- This will affect Farming and Animal husbandry professions.
- Since players may only have one Freehold, they must choose their Artisan specializations accordingly if they wish to place it in the Underrealm.
Players will be able to move resources and set up shop in other areas to take advantage of the varied markets. With resources spawning dynamically, certain regions will naturally become important trading hubs for the transportation of goods throughout the world.
The World manager is an algorithm in Ashes of Creation that controls dynamic world elements. It acts as both a throttle and an incentive system for various activities to ensure certain parameters are within acceptable thresholds.
- Prices of hunting certificates.
- A heatmap of experience being gained to apply to node advancement.
- Transit of resources and goods between regions to drive quest rewards for nodes.
For example if you know iron is being used as a raw resource for a specific crafting path that might drive up the price of mithril or silver; and that will incentivize the market to course correct a little bit. The idea is to provide soft incentives that help to alleviate the demand and also to prop up the supply that might not be present from the economic systems. – Steven Sharif
- A castle's region is 1/5th the game world.
- Castle regions, Economic regions, and Node ZOI (Zones of Influence) can overlap.
- Castle region boundaries are static.
- In addition to taxes, Castles also influence crop yields, resources and events within its region.
- Part of the tax and resources gathered are applied to the castle for improvements.
- The remainder of tax income can be used by the guild for whatever they want.
- When castles change hands (following a siege), some taxes stay with the castle and some stay with the guild.
- Processing involves the refining of raw materials obtained from gathering and item deconstruction.
Materials (processed goods) are obtained in the following ways:
Many end level items with crafting will require mats from world bosses etc. we want those systems intertwined. However. There may be opportunities to deconstruct high level items and replace those needed materials as well. We will be testing the crafting trees in alpha and beta. – Steven Sharif
- Crafting requires the acquisition of recipes in order to craft items.
- Crafting stations are located on freeholds or within nodes.
There is no labor or energy system in Ashes. However, that's not to say that crafting will not be difficult. Crafting is very difficult; but it is because it is difficult that it will be very rewarding as well. – Steven Sharif
- Within a crafting recipe, there are dials (based on artisan specialization) that are used customize crafted items, such as:
I think Star Wars Galaxies had a great crafting system... The resource gathering and the crafting system altogether as a whole really was I think way beyond its time. That's kind of the direction we want to go, where there's choices to be made in the crafting system and those choices change what you end up with... It's not just about doing X recipe to get Y item. You know, there's actually thought involved in it and there is you know a market to be captured based on those decisions. – Jeffrey Bard
- Highest tier items will be a combo of both crafted and boss dropped.
- The rarity of the items will be commensurate with the effort required to gather, process and craft the items.
- It may be possible for crafters to determine what their crafted items will look like.
- A crafter's name is embedded in the items they craft.
We believe that every item that exists in the world should in some way reflect its creator. As such, there will be extreme versatility in our crafting system – giving crafters the ability to create unique items that represent their strengths and weaknesses.
Crafting and World Bosses will be the main way to obtain high-level gear. There are some exceptions to this in the form of Legendary items (single server drops or discoveries), and other equipment that may drop wholesale, but we want Artisans and top tier raiding to produce the lion’s share of high level, high effectiveness equipment. – Sarah Flanagan
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (10:48).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (54:26).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:05:58).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:04:50).
- Livestream, 17 December 2019 (1:14:42).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (27:11).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (44:14).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (1:08:22).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (8:43).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:00:15).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (46:08).
- Livestream, 3 May 2017 (35:25).
- Ashes of Creation Forums - Former Lineage 2 PvP'er wanting to discuss PvP loopholes.
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (53:28).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (53:11).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:13).
- Video, 2 September 2017 (0:21).
- Livestream, 30 May 2017 (10:24).
- Livestream, 28 March 2020 (48:31).
- Interview, 27 March 2020 (9:00).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (38:25).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (1:00:07).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (20:27).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (24:30).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (1:10:55).
- Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (34:15).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (8:22).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (17:31).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (15:14).
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (1:38:26).
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (1:00:18).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (6:38).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (17:08).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:31:39).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (5:25).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (35:11).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (14:45).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (24:19).