Materials (also known as processed goods and crafting materials) are obtained in the following ways:
Types of processed goods (materials)
Many end level items with crafting will require mats from world bosses etc. we want those systems intertwined. However. There may be opportunities to deconstruct high level items and replace those needed materials as well. We will be testing the crafting trees in alpha and beta. – Steven Sharif
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ashes of Creation must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Processing profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
- Processing involves the refining of raw materials obtained from gathering and item deconstruction.
- The bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch. The processing time varies based on the quality of the processed goods.
- Some processing can be carried out in nodes, but the best processing can only be carried out on freeholds.
- Blueprints are required for the construction of the freehold buildings that are used to process resources into processed goods.
- The amount of goods that can be processed while unattended by the player is based on the rating of that particular processing station.
- The time spent processing can be reduced by upgrading the capabilities and quality of the processing station via a progression tier system.
- That's going to be very important as you get to very late game processed materials that are required. Because some of these things might have days to process within a station, but if you have spent the time and done the work to advance that processing station you could cut that down considerably, perhaps even greater than 50 percent; and that's going to have a significant impact on your ability to either control markets or to create goods. – Steven Sharif
- There will be a preparatory phase to provide the building with needed fuel or other materials to process the required grade of materials.
- Processing as it stands for Alpha-2's implementation is that there is a certain amount of prep work that's required first for the industry-specific component, which is the building. That prep work might be finding a certain amount of lumber to light the fire in kiln or whatever, to a certain temperature in order for you to process a certain grade of ore; and that grade of ore being malleable then into an ingot; and that produces that ingot so-to-speak. Now, in that process there's a gathering component, there's a preparatory phase, there is a time-related component. – Steven Sharif
- There will also be time-related and gameplay elements that require the player to interact with the processing building. These elements act to throttle for the introduction of processed materials from raw gatherables into the economy.
- There's also possibilities that the machine you're using itself has some type of gameplay layer- should the kiln get overheated, and you have to throw some water on it or something. There are elements there in that process that we want to mimic this gameplay opportunity for players to interact; and not just be a time-sink. But time-sink is also a component of it as well, because that's the throttle for the introduction of processed materials from raw gatherables into the economy. – Steven Sharif
- Some resources will be one-time gatherables, others will exist as clusters that will last until the vein is depleted.
- We really want resources to be persistent and non-renewable. If there’s a mithril vein, that mithril vein will be there until it runs out. The server will manage these amounts on its own, and will repopulate things where and when it desires. You might find another mithril vein in that location sometime later, or somewhere nearby, or maybe never again!
- Players drop resources and other items upon death, based on their applicable death penalties.
- Raw materials (gatherable resources) are not to be confused with crafting materials (processed goods).
- Gatherers who are more advanced in their artisan tree will unlock higher level harvesting tools that have a greater chance of collecting higher quality resources or proccing a greater quantity.
You will have an opportunity to proc certain qualities based on your progression in the Artisan tree. So if you are a gatherer; and as you advance in your gathering, you'll have a higher opportunity to collect better resources. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (34:15).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (8:22).
- Livestream, 30 July 2021 (1:16:05).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (17:31).
- Livestream, 26 March 2021 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, 5 May 2017 (43:05).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (27:11).
- Interview, 20 July 2020 (20:17).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (6:12).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (38:30).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (26:00).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (24:18).
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (40:20).
- Livestream, 30 June 2022 (1:08:02).
- Livestream, 30 June 2022 (1:09:29).
- Livestream, 25 February 2022 (1:12:27s).
- Interview, 27 March 2020 (9:00).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (10:48).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (54:26).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:05:58).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:04:50).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (53:28).
- Livestream, 30 April 2020 (53:11).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:13).