Crafting and gathering is a very important component of the economy that players will have direct control over. Whether you wish to build a sprawling plantation around your house, or wish to travel the vast wilderness in search of treasure and resources.
Artisan classes do not allow a character to become a master of all. Players must choose a path in the artisan skill tree for each character. Branching into specific paths allows the player an opportunity to specialize in certain areas. This encourages player inter-dependency, enhancing the artisan experience.
- Choice of profession does not affect a player's stats.
- Characters within a single account (Alts) may have different professions.
- Armor smithing.
- Jewel crafting.
- Scribes (possibly).
- Ship building.
- Siege weapons.
- Weapon smithing.
- Tools will have durability and tool lifespans.
- Tools may become non-repairable, requiring re crafting.
Tools do advance within the artisan tree, so your ability to either gather, process or craft will require the equivalent tools necessary at that stage of crafting in order to accomplish the task at hand. So, you could not mine copper and mithril with the same tool. – Steven Sharif
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ashes of Creation must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Processing profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
- Within a crafting recipe, there are dials (based on artisan specialization) that are used customize crafted items, such as:
I think Star Wars Galaxies had a great crafting system... The resource gathering and the crafting system altogether as a whole really was I think way beyond its time. That's kind of the direction we want to go, where there's choices to be made in the crafting system and those choices change what you end up with... It's not just about doing X recipe to get Y item. You know, there's actually thought involved in it and there is you know a market to be captured based on those decisions. – Jeffrey Bard
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (32:07).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (6:12).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (37:25).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (24:27).
- Livestream, 30 May 2017 (10:24).
- Livestream, 16 June 2017 (28:07).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (4:42).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (22:23).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (51:37).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (17:08).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (38:25).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (8:22).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (38:30).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (26:00).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (24:18).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (5:25).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (35:11).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (59:25).