Unique node buildings
Each node type has a unique node building associated with it that can be activated at the Village stage of node advancement. The unique building plays a central role in the progress of civilization for a server.
- Divine nodes
- Economic nodes
- Military nodes
- Scientific nodes
- Players will be able to identify the type of a node at its first stage of development (Expedition) based on its NPC population.
|Divine nodes||Faith and skill/equipment augment focuses||Priests|
|Economic nodes||Trade and merchant focuses||Merchants|
|Military nodes||Combat and class training focuses||Guards|
|Scientific nodes||Artisan and construction focuses||Scholars|
Ashes of Creation allows you, the player, to decide the fate of the world around you. With each Node Type, you can change the flow of resources and goods in the world. Will you grow the largest Economic Metropolis and help guide the riches of Verra, or will you choose another path unlocking new stories filled with allies and enemies?
For example, if a level 4 Scientific Node is destroyed, it will become a Level 0 Scientific Node. It will never be any other Node Type other than a Scientific Node. The location of these Types relates to the influences of the area around the Node. – Margaret Krohn
Beta testing will require that the node types be definitive; and that's because of how node types are integrated into the relating and corresponding neighboring points of interest and those quest lines. So it's not something we can swap very easily. – Steven Sharif
Node layout and style
- Environment and location of the node.
Currently the way that the platform system is set up, is it's capable of adjusting the topography of the node's footprint, regardless of the surrounding terrain. So the reason for that is we want to have flexibility in the presentation of the node's layout and how it is essentially both from an aesthetic standpoint as well as a mechanical standpoint with node sieges- how it's constructed and that construction should have the ability to take on a variance of different types of topography. So it shouldn't be dependent on the surrounding area. Now that's not to say that the surrounding area isn't going to have some influence over. So for example... we're experimenting a little bit with the platform tech and putting up a node up against the side of a mountain or on the edge of a cliff or something that has a beautiful vista. Those are things that we're going to test out obviously as we continue to work on the node tool and how that platform system works, but the idea is to have the node independent of the surrounding terrain. – Steven Sharif
Some parts are determined by the area it's in. Some parts are determined by the type it is. Some parts are determined by the race it is; and then the rest of it is determined by the mayor. – Jeffrey Bard
- Race that contributed the highest percentage to the node's advancement will alter the racial appearance of its buildings and NPCs.
All nodes whether they're associated with a castle or associated with normal node structure has cultural influences that replicate over to the buildings that are produced and the NPCs that are present. – Steven Sharif
- These benefits apply to citizens of the dominant culture but they also apply to mechanics of the node and can also be of benefit to members of other races.
- There is an attrition mechanic that affects experience and influence to curb a single race from dominating the entire world.
There is an attrition and that attrition on experience and influence is heightened based on the performance of the race in the world. So if all these nodes are Orc nodes then their attrition rate is very high to compete with the cultural establishment of new nodes because they have more influence in the world and a popular opinion is against them in their outlying regions that they do not have influence in. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 1 September 2018 (36:28).
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- Livestream, 4 May 2017 (15:15).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Livestream, 27 August 2021 (1:19:43).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (39:17).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (53:06).
- Livestream, 26 February 2021 (1:10:28).
- Livestream, 26 February 2021 (1:12:18).
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (29:47).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (54:34).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (21:23).
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (23:36).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (47:27).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (45:32).
- Interview, 7 February 2021 (33:00).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (1:00:19).