- Physical attack.
- Magical attack.
- Block chance/percentage.
- Critical hit.
- Players that are not in the same party or raid will not be able to see other player's health percentages or exact health bar values.
- A player's name plate will deteriorate to give an indication of how much damage they have taken.
With regards to seeing another player's health: As you know their name plate will deteriorate or give you an indication of like hey they've taken damage they're significantly injured, but you're not going to get a percentage. You're not gonna get an exact bar value, unless you're in their party or in their raid. – Steven Sharif
- The race "seeds" a player's base stats.
- The primary archetype grows the base stats.
- The secondary archetype (class) does not contribute to stat growth. This is a revision of an earlier statement.
Different races have different stat compositions. Those stats can be important, but we also don't want them to dictate any kind of meta for what classes are best used with different races. – Steven Sharif
Stats on gear
- Master crafters will be able to influence several (but not all) stats on their crafted items.
- There will also be methods of moving stat blocks around but this won't necessarily be an easy task.
- All gear will be able to be assigned any stat.
Crafters will be able to 'rejigger' stat blocks; and there will be a couple of other ways to move things around to create both the look and the stat block that you're looking for. It's not always going to be easy. There will be a lot of challenges involved with that. But the goal is to give you guys the option to customize your gear the way you want them to be. – Jeffrey Bard
Gear is broken down into Core Stats and Additional Stats.
RNG is always going to play a role in Ashes of Creation whether that be in PvP or PvE, but one way to mitigate that is through the action system. The action system is going to be far less sort of dependent on those you know dice rolls and there'll be far more in your own hands. They won't ever completely eliminate that but it's a way for us to sort of reward skilled play versus sort of tactical strategies type play. – Jeffrey Bard
- Magic damage is mitigated by cloth armor (light armor).
- Physical damage is mitigated by plate armor (heavy armor).
- There will be resistances to elemental damage.
- Holy/radiant damage are modifying energy types that have corresponding synergies and resistances.
- There is also non-mitigated damage.
We don't see the need to have these enormous numbers that are really start to lose meaning. That seems to be an innate design issue with other games as they try to balance the damage output in PvP and in PvE; but our design system allows for a more manageable damage protocol for PvE and PvP to be shared; and those damage protocols relate more to lower numbers. – Steven Sharif
- Other elemental influences may include Darkness, Light and Planar.
- Elements may have more influence in certain seasons and climates. For example, frost abilities may be stronger in winter. This affects both PvE and PvP.
- There may be ley lines and strong magical places in the world that change or alter the way spells work.
We've discussed a little bit about how the seasons and biomes will react with different types of skills. Like if you have a fireball and it's summer it might be a little bit different. If it's winter and you have a frost ability it might be different. – Steven Sharif
The idea behind magic is you're manipulating the elements. They don't just have to be fire, ice, water and air. They can be darkness, they can be light, they can be planar; a lot of different types of "elemental influences". – Steven Sharif
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Apocalypse:Chain Lightning||Activate to charge your next attack with lightning - lightning will arc between foes, dealing damage to each one.
||Activate to charge your next attack with lightning - lightning will arc between foes, dealing damage to each one.
||Activate to charge your next attack with lightning - lightning will arc between foes, dealing damage to each one.
|Apocalypse:Fire Potion||Generates a fire explosion.||-||-|
|Apocalypse:Frost Potion||Swap your explosive potion for a potion of frost. It will burst on the first bounce, leaving an area of bitter cold that slows your enemies.
|Fireball||Throws a fireball at your target. Deals instant damage.||Becomes a burn (damage over time).||Area of effect around the target.|
|Flame line||Shoot an arrow that leaves behind a trail of flames.||Arrow explodes upon reaching the end of its distance.||Enemies take burning damage for entering the flames.|
|Lava Storm||Creates a field of lava at the selected location. Deals additional damage in the center of the ability. Deals area damage around the caster upon cast.||Increased damage. Increased duration.||Increased damage. Increased duration.|
|Lightning Bolt||Shoots forward a beam of lightning that damages enemies in a line in front of you.||Adds damage over time to targets hit.||Chains to nearby enemies that are not hit. Anyone who is outside the line has a chance to get a bolt jump to them.|
|Meteor Storm||Summons forth a Meteor Storm, dropping 3 meteors in the target location. Each meteor deals large area damage upon impact.||Increase damage and number of impacts. Stun enemies as they are hit.||Increase damage and number of impacts. Stun enemies as they are hit.|
- The weapon use combo system determines special effects that proc based on weapon progression.
- Ancillary effects proc based on enchantment types.
- Gear enhancements (power stones) can be applied to add elemental or energy types of damage.
- A skill tree is used to grant effects: making them better or branching off into different directions.
- Passive skills will enable players to work toward mastery of a weapon.
- Weapon proficiency (based on length of use of a weapon) is not a planned feature.
- Q: Are weapons balanced towards a proficiency system (i.e. the longer I use a sword, the better my damage will be), or will it be a normal RPG stat system with no long-term scaling?
- A: We will not be using a proficiency system as described, but players will have passives available in their skill tree that will increase effectiveness of certain weapons. Becoming a master of swords will be something that is possible, just not in that particular manner. – Sarah Flanagan
Ashes of Creation is all about providing many progression paths... The reason why we don't like the term endgame is because with the amount of progression that's available with the amount of diversity and player agency that that impacts the world... We kind of want the the weapon system and add an element of that as well... You can determine special effects that proc from currently the combo system right; you can determine ancillary effects that proc based on enchantment types; you can power stone weapons to add different either elemental types of damage and/or energy that kind of play rock paper scissor with player defenses ... and then you can skill tree out how those effects that are granted ... you can make them better you can branch them off into a different direction. – Steven Sharif
We are very likely going to have a rune system and then we'll have the ability to sort of enchant weapons outside of that too... That's not always going to be like a vertical progression... Some of it's going to be giving up something to get something else; so maybe I do less physical damage but more magical damage, that kind of thing. – Jeffrey Bard
- Progression in various PvP systems will unlock enchantment stones that grant temporary PvP-focused benefits to gear (via a socketing system). Performance is measured over six month PvP seasons.
It's not as though you're going to necessarily acquire these once and then you're set for your PvP enchantments, but instead you'll have to continually perform month after month in order to keep having those slotted enchantments. – Steven Sharif
- Vertical enchantments are a power progression for a crafted item. More damage or mitigations, added effects or bonuses. Vertical enchantments include risks. 
When it comes to over-enchanting things, what we're going to do likely is have a safety- and this is something obviously it needs to be tested- but we're going to have a safety period of enchantment you know like in Lineage 2 I think you could enchant plus four or something. And so we're gonna have a similar system where you can enchant safely and then when you start to take risks, that percentage of potentially damaging your item either through the decay system or completely disabling it through the destruction system will be a risk that's present. – Steven Sharif
- Horizontal enchantments are more situational. For example: I'd like my sword to do force damage instead of holy damage because the monsters I tend to fight are incorporeal.
Power creep is a balance issue... When it comes to gear progression specifically, the idea is to create an open market that is not heavily dependent on soulbound items; and having many item sinks and gold sinks within that economy that allows for the potential degradation and loss of assets within that closed economy; and not introduce items from the market that companies put in from a pay-to-win perspective or from a pay-to-convenience perspective that undermines the economy that players have built. That is a huge mistake that companies have made in the past and that lends to the imbalancing of what designers maybe have actually balanced well. – Steven Sharif
We like to really refer to ourselves as a PvX game, because in those systems of PvP, PvE, crafting they're all intertwined: They're interdependent on each other... Our system of development really requires some interdependence there between those things. You're going to need a crafter to give you the best items. You're going to need PvPers to secure cities and castles. You're gonna need PvErs to take down those world bosses for those materials to craft. – Steven Sharif
- There is a balance between PvP and PvE in Ashes of Creation.
- Some servers may be more PvP focused than others.
- There will not be different PvP and PvE gear types.
- Progression in the game might require PvE elements.
- All stats relate to a player's combat effectiveness in PvX.
We're very clear with our objective and philosophy on the game and we understand that they may not appeal to everybody. But you know it is an important reciprocal relationship between the content that's related to PvE and the content that's related to PvP and they feed off of each other. They're catalysts for change: Their progression, their development. It's things that people can value when they see something earned and they see something lost. That elicits an emotional response from the player: That they've invested time in to either succeed or fail; and PvP allows for that element to be introduced into gameplay. And we're very clear that is our objective: That risk versus reward relationship, that achievement-based mentality. Not everybody's going to be a winner and that's okay. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (1:15:02).
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (25:39).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (15:21).
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (1:40:48).
- Livestream, 30 May 2017 (16:25).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:33:37).
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (1:14:54).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (35:58).
- Livestream, November 22 2019 (1:4:56).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (25:52).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (37:25).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (53:59).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (1:05:22).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (59:58).
- Livestream, 22 December 2020 (1:15:01).
- Livestream, 6 December 2018 (48:52).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:02:44).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:05:04).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (27:47).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (26:19).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:34:55).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (1:45).
- Livestream, 30 September 2020 (1:04:56).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (20:23).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:32:16).
- Chain Lightning rank 1.
- Chain Lightning rank 2.
- Chain Lightning rank 3.
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (7:49).
- Frost Potion rank 1.
- Video, 23 December 2020 (0:31).
- Blog: Blazing the way - Mage Alpha One Preview.
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (38:35).
- PAX West 2017 Mage poster.
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (46:52).
- Video, 22 December 2020 (7:36).
- Video, 23 December 2020 (1:29).
- Video, 23 December 2020 (0:40).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (39:15).
- Video, 23 December 2020 (1:46).
- Livestream, 30 May 2019 (58:28).
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (1:28:40).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (45:37).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (1:11:19).
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (21:37).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (14:22).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (16:34).
- Interview, 29 July 2020 (15:04).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (58:55).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:53:52).
- Video, 16 April 2018 (1:32).
- PvX definition.
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (24:52).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (33:25).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (14:05).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (37:39).