- Chest armor.
- 1 Alpha-1 armor
- 2 Gear slots
- 3 Armor characteristics
- 4 Armor skills and stats
- 5 Class weapons and armor
- 6 Racial weapons and armor
- 7 Appearance
- 8 Gear sets
- 9 Gear enhancement
- 10 Switching gear
- 11 Trading gear
- 12 Legendary items
- 13 Artwork
- 14 See also
- 15 References
Alpha-1 phase 1 armor comes with associated skills/abilities. Armor also grants damage mitigation Armor that has lost its damage mitigation can be recharged/repaired to restore damage mitigation points. There are two types of armor: Upper and lower body.
- Blink Boots
- Boots of Arcanic Power
- Boots of Icy Steps
- Breastplate of the Bulwark
- Breastplate of the Dark Pact
- Catfall Boots
- Invisibility Aegis
- Legs of Arcanic Power
- Polymorphic Breastplate
Alpha-1 item rarities
Alpha-1 armor skills
|Arcanic Power||Channel raw arcane energies to instantly knock nearby foes back, deal damage, and give yourself some breathing room.
|Blink||Activate to instantly teleport yourself a short distance forward.
|Bulwark||This spell will instantly summon a wall a short distance in front of the caster. Perfect for deploying as a cover!
|Catfall||Activate to grant yourself exceptional jumping abilities, silent moving, and protection from falling damage for the duration.
|Dark Pact||For the duration of this spell, you will be immune to the effects of the corruption storm.
|Icy Steps||With this spell you will leave icy trails behind you, which will snare and slow your enemies.
|Invisibility||This spell turns you invisible for the duration, though it will cancel upon attacking, or through the use of any other spells.
|Polymorph||Transform yourself into a harmless inanimate object, and disappear into the local terrain. Will cancel on movement or attack.
- Heavy armor typically has more HP than lighter armor.
- Heavy armor is geared towards physical damage mitigation.
|Armor passives||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Cloth armor (passive)||Increases armor given by cloth armor.||Further increases armor given by cloth armor.||Bonus mana for each piece of cloth armor.|
|Heavy armor (passive)||Increases armor given by heavy armor.||Further increases armor given.||Each piece of armor added gives health percentage bonus to the tank.|
|Light armor (passive)||Increases armor given by light armor.||Further increases armor given by light armor.||Each piece of light armor increases damage.|
|Medium armor (passive)||Increases armor given by medium armor.||Further increases armor given by medium armor.||If medium armor worn in all slots gives a balance of health and mana less than the health given.|
Armor skills and stats
- Swapping between weapons will allow players to access the different skills on their hotbar.
- Certain armor pieces have utility and defensive skills, such as like Camouflage, Polymorph and Battlefield wall.
- Weapons are tied to one specific skill in early Alpha-1, but this may change.
Weapons will have skills associated with them and they'll will rest on a hot bar and you can swap between the weapons on the hot bar and that'll allow you to access the different skills. Additionally the breastplate, the leggings: Those also have skills associated with them those are more utility and defensive abilities, such as like camouflage, polymorph, battlefield wall; that kind of stuff. Those are on the armor pieces and then they are associated with right now the VC hotkeys for their abilities. – Steven Sharif
Right now weapons are tied to one specific skill; and you know that's just again because we're so early in alpha 1; but well probably be changing that as we continue to iterate and test. – Steven Sharif
Stats on gear
Class weapons and armor
Weapons are intended to be somewhat agnostic in the sense that you can find a way for a weapon to be utilized by different classes. Not just the rogue is going to be able to use daggers. Because if you restrict equipment through that, it makes the economy more difficult to have sustainability across the market of items. – Steven Sharif
Alpha-1 class kits
- These test the class structure for action combat, allowing players gain access to skills for their chosen class.
- Base class skills are selected from a host of available skills for that class.
- Weapon skills are applied to augment a class' base skills.
- Healing skills will be part of Class kits.
- This will include proximity based, directional based and projectile based healing.
Class kits come into play with the castle siege mode. So when Castle sieges get implemented- which shouldn't be too far in the into the alpha-1- that's when we will implement the class structure for action combat and start playing with these class kits where you join in a particular class and you immediately have access to certain class specific skills. Class skills that you can predetermine as well from a host of skills to select from; and then those will be your base class skills you have access to; and then if you pick up weapons they'll augment those skills. – Steven Sharif
Racial weapons and armor
The customization of equipment per race is really focused on Armor sets not Weapon props. Weapon props will, from a model standpoint, will translate pretty one-to-one across the races. – Steven Sharif
Let's say for example you have the Eagle set or something, right: The Eagle set has in art, it has a thematic design that's going to include certain attachments to the armor. It's going to include color palette and theme. It's going to have some aspects to it that define it as the Eagle set, right. When a Elf wears the Eagle set or when an Orc wears the Eagle set, you obviously have two different cultures there; and you don't want to stomp out that culture by assigning a de facto 'This is the Eagle set and this is how it looks on everybody.' What we want to have is cultural influences play a role in showing how that set looks. – Steven Sharif
When you say, what if I'm an Orc but want to look like an Elf and I want my Eagle set to be the Elf representation? Well the issue becomes there that you know Orcs have a different organic model. You know, their body is different than that of the Elf. So, from a scope-creep standpoint, it's one thing to add different influences that represent the cultures that are donning the armor; it's another thing to adapt each influence as a matrix that can be worn pretty much by everything. From a scope perspective, that's a very difficult task for the character artists to kind of tackle. So instead what we've done is, in order to facilitate a variety of cultural representation between the races but allow for the sharing of assets like different armor sets, we give different representations of those armor sets to each race. – Steven Sharif
- Cosmetic slots can be toggled on or off.
I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of an immersive issue. – Steven Sharif
- The dyeability of costumes depends on the specific costume.
Outside of wanting to keep maybe some identity from a lore perspective; for example if you have like a white lion's suit of armor, you may not want that white lion suit of armor to be black or blue. So, it's possible. It depends on the costume itself. – Steven Sharif
Backer only armor skin
Your base look for the character can be pretty boring, but what Steven gave us a challenge with from day one was to make sure even the base look, the t-shirt and pants, looked amazing... This is your zero character, if you will... Then you can go in and customize everything from the shoulder pads to the elbow pads, the belt that goes around them; do you want duel belts, you want to harness the clothes in the front. So every piece you see on here you can actually customize that at the front end. So what we do is we scale that up from zero, ten and twenty... We scale it up and we customize it; and then I want to really stress that each one of those looks as you progress is different. We're not just repurposing the same armor pieces. We're making unique sets that complement each other as you progress. – Mat Broome
You can actually have three different types of themes: You have plate, you'll have leather and you'll have robe. So for every armor set that we're showing at each one of those tiers, you're actually gonna have nine unique looks to pick from. – Mat Broome
We plan to include a shop for micro transactions. The shop will only include cosmetic items. Nothing in our shop will ever be pay to win as we believe this practice greatly hurts the MMORPG genre.
Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means.
I want to incentivize purchase in the cosmetic shop for sustainability of what expansions we have intended, since we are not a box cost. I want to incentivize purchase by offering limited items: limited time, limited quantity, so you have confidence that when you purchase them, they won't be offered later on in some other way. However, I want to make sure that equitable cosmetics both from a quantity and quality standpoint are achievable through in-game achievements. Time, effort should let you be happy with what you can accomplish. – Steven Sharif
- Players gain bonuses depending on the number of pieces of the set they have equipped.
- There are passive abilities that can be chosen to become more adept with certain set types.
- There may be set bonuses that members of certain communities will obtain based on gear set type.
- There are tiers of gear that players can access based on their level.
- There will be viable non-set builds.
- Certain set bonuses may trade off core gear stats.
- Racial appearance of gear sets is tied to the character model of that race.
We are very likely going to have a rune system and then we'll have the ability to sort of enchant weapons outside of that too... That's not always going to be like a vertical progression... Some of it's going to be giving up something to get something else; so maybe I do less physical damage but more magical damage, that kind of thing. – Jeffrey Bard
- There isn't RNG in crafting but there may be a small amount of RNG in enchanting.
- Over-enchanting items may come with a potential risk that the item is destroyed.
- Vertical enchantments are a power progression for a crafted item. More damage or mitigations, added effects or bonuses.
- Vertical enchantments include risks.
- Horizontal enchantments are more situational. For example: I'd like my sword to do force damage instead of holy damage because the monsters I tend to fight are incorporeal.
- This doesn't make the item more powerful, but instead more applicable to different situations, and less so to others.
- This type of enchanting assumes no risk, just time and effort.
Sharing gear with alts
There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time.
It will be a very ornate and detailed weapon, more so than any other weapon or piece of equipment in the game. It will also include some awesome looking effects that won't too gaudy, you know they won't be too bright and shiny so that it doesn't look good, but they will be subtle and people will notice it and know wow that guy has this weapon. – Steven Sharif
The amount of effort needed and interdependencies across the different types of players – between raiders and PvPers and crafters and even role players and the taverns and businesses: the processors and gatherers – all of those systems will likely have a component that lends toward creating or crafting that legendary item... We want to stay away from the highly RNGd system, and instead take our multiple progression paths that we are offering the players and put the construction components for achieving these legendary items within them so it encourages communities to work together because it's going to be difficult for just one person by themselves to gather everything. Not to say that they couldn't in an economic sense, by buying those components, that's possible. But achieving them from a time investment standpoint we want it to be considerably less RNG focussed. – Steven Sharif
Legendary items are not intended to be temporary.
The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (9:47).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (15:01).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (31:30).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (6:22).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (23:00).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (22:02).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:24:21).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (24:54).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (53:10).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (32:15).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (43:44).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (29:41).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (47:55).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (38:04).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (6:53).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (7:52).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (59:58).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (47:05).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (45:37).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (8:16).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (12:05).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (44:11).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (20:46).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (53:43).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (55:17).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (5:28).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (22:33).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (50:29).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (19:51).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (54:56).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (48:56).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (18:48).
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter.
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (20:19).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (22:59).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (22:33).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (22:58).
- Ashes of Creation cosmetic store.
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (32:36).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (58:29).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (56:07).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (1:11:19).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (21:37).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (58:55).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (20:41).
- Video, 17 August 2018 (0:01).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:16:10).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (6:32).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (34:32).
- Ashes of Creation - The visuals.
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (10:32).
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (46:56).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (18:25).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (19:15).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (44:18).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (38:08).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (55:49).
- Livestream, 9 July 2018 (25:34).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).