- Chest armor.
- Robes (cloth armor).
- Lighter armor is more mobile than heavier armor.
- Light armor is geared towards magical damage mitigation.
- Predominantly plate metal, but may incorporate other influences, such as leather.
- Heavy armor typically has more HP than lighter armor.
- Heavy armor is geared towards physical damage mitigation.
|Armor passives||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Light armor (passive)||Increases armor given by light armor.||Further increases armor given by light armor.||Each piece of light armor increases damage.|
Class weapons and armor
Weapons are intended to be somewhat agnostic in the sense that you can find a way for a weapon to be utilized by different classes. Not just the rogue is going to be able to use daggers. Because if you restrict equipment through that, it makes the economy more difficult to have sustainability across the market of items. – Steven Sharif
Racial weapons and armor
The customization of equipment per race is really focused on Armor sets not Weapon props. Weapon props will, from a model standpoint, will translate pretty one-to-one across the races. – Steven Sharif
Let's say for example you have the Eagle set or something, right: The Eagle set has in art, it has a thematic design that's going to include certain attachments to the armor. It's going to include color palette and theme. It's going to have some aspects to it that define it as the Eagle set, right. When a Elf wears the Eagle set or when an Orc wears the Eagle set, you obviously have two different cultures there; and you don't want to stomp out that culture by assigning a de facto 'This is the Eagle set and this is how it looks on everybody.' What we want to have is cultural influences play a role in showing how that set looks. – Steven Sharif
When you say, what if I'm an Orc but want to look like an Elf and I want my Eagle set to be the Elf representation? Well the issue becomes there that you know Orcs have a different organic model. You know, their body is different than that of the Elf. So, from a scope-creep standpoint, it's one thing to add different influences that represent the cultures that are donning the armor; it's another thing to adapt each influence as a matrix that can be worn pretty much by everything. From a scope perspective, that's a very difficult task for the character artists to kind of tackle. So instead what we've done is, in order to facilitate a variety of cultural representation between the races but allow for the sharing of assets like different armor sets, we give different representations of those armor sets to each race. – Steven Sharif
I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of an immersive issue. – Steven Sharif
- Cosmetics can be used by all races but there may be slight variations to make them work with the body builds of each race.
- There are rules when applying cosmetics to specific items, unlike costumes, which don't have level restrictions.
- Cosmetic slots can be toggled on or off by the player.
- A "default player appearance" may be automatically applied during sieges or other large scale battles to improve client-side performance.
- Different tiers of gear are accessible based on a character's level.
- Players gain bonuses depending on the number of pieces of the set they have equipped.
- There are passive abilities that can be chosen to become more adept with certain set types.
- There will be viable non-set builds.
- Racial appearance of gear sets is tied to the character model of that race.
Verra will be filled with many sets of armor, each set uniquely carved into the history of the world. Mana-forged sets are distinctly vibrant with luminescent magic, pulsating across the body of its hero. We hope you enjoy them, and look forward to many more glimpses into the armors of Verra, waiting for their champions! – Margaret Krohn
Regalia of the Iron Lion
The Iron Lion is a fairly new order, one formed out of a desire to control the unknowable. With the rediscovery of the old world, many Kaelar wondered what lay beyond, considering the incredible power the divine gateways represented. To this end, the Iron Lion focuses not only on martial combat, but also on the art of dampening magic. Without such knowledge, establishing a foothold may be all but impossible - rampant magic is an unpredictable, and many times lethal, complication in any sortie. Due to this, the Iron Lion puts forth significant effort in studying and learning about the magics they come across, hoping to minimize the dangers they pose.
There is a small RNG chance of looting rare and legendary items or crafting materials from mobs based on the level, status and type of mob. This also applies to harvesting resources with a gathering profession.
- There is a much higher chance that materials and unique recipes are dropped that can be used to craft items of equitable value.
- Legendary equipment is only dropped by Legendary world bosses.
- Legendary equipment will have a roughly 6-12% improvement in base stats, subject to testing and balancing.
At each stage from Gatherer to Processor to Crafter you are required to have certain prerequisites before those elite types of materials can be essentially gathered, processed, or crafted. – Steven Sharif
- Gatherers must have high quality tools to gather rare resources.
- Processors must have high tier processing buildings on their freehold to produce rare materials.
- Crafters must also satisfy certain prerequisites to craft legendary equipment.
The amount of effort needed and interdependencies across the different types of players – between raiders and PvPers and crafters and even role players and the taverns and businesses: the processors and gatherers – all of those systems will likely have a component that lends toward creating or crafting that legendary item... We want to stay away from the highly RNGd system, and instead take our multiple progression paths that we are offering the players and put the construction components for achieving these legendary items within them so it encourages communities to work together because it's going to be difficult for just one person by themselves to gather everything. Not to say that they couldn't in an economic sense, by buying those components, that's possible. But achieving them from a time investment standpoint we want it to be considerably less RNG focussed. – Steven Sharif
There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time.
It will be a very ornate and detailed weapon, more so than any other weapon or piece of equipment in the game. It will also include some awesome looking effects that won't too gaudy, you know they won't be too bright and shiny so that it doesn't look good, but they will be subtle and people will notice it and know wow that guy has this weapon. – Steven Sharif
Legendary items are not intended to be temporary.
The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:08:11).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (15:01).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (31:30).
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (2:00:09).
- Interview, 28 July 2020 (49:35).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (32:10).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (53:10).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:02:44).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (32:15).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (15:11).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (47:55).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:02:08).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (47:05).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (45:37).
- Video, 30 September 2020 (2:44).
- Livestream, 30 September 2020 (47:47).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (54:06).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (44:11).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (20:46).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (53:43).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (55:17).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (50:20).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (19:51).
- Reddit Q&A, 8 January 2019.
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (54:56).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (9:47).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (1:13:22).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (48:56).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (1:05:22).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (24:19).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (5:28).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (22:33).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (57:50).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (50:29).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (54:10).
- Livestream, November 22 2019 (1:08:05).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (48:39).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (54:29).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (56:07).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (1:33:11).
- Blog: 2019-02-28 State of the Game Live-stream and Mana-forged Armor
- Regalia of the Iron Lion.
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:00:15).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (8:43).
- Interview, 20 July 2020 (21:57).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (55:49).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (46:08).
- Livestream, 26 March 2021 (1:02:06).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (44:18).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (38:08).
- Livestream, 9 July 2018 (25:34).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).