- Cosmetic slots can be toggled on or off.
I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of an immersive issue. – Steven Sharif
Racial weapons and armor
The customization of equipment per race is really focused on Armor sets not Weapon props. Weapon props will, from a model standpoint, will translate pretty one-to-one across the races. – Steven Sharif
Let's say for example you have the Eagle set or something, right: The Eagle set has in art, it has a thematic design that's going to include certain attachments to the armor. It's going to include color palette and theme. It's going to have some aspects to it that define it as the Eagle set, right. When a Elf wears the Eagle set or when an Orc wears the Eagle set, you obviously have two different cultures there; and you don't want to stomp out that culture by assigning a de facto 'This is the Eagle set and this is how it looks on everybody.' What we want to have is cultural influences play a role in showing how that set looks. – Steven Sharif
When you say, what if I'm an Orc but want to look like an Elf and I want my Eagle set to be the Elf representation? Well the issue becomes there that you know Orcs have a different organic model. You know, their body is different than that of the Elf. So, from a scope-creep standpoint, it's one thing to add different influences that represent the cultures that are donning the armor; it's another thing to adapt each influence as a matrix that can be worn pretty much by everything. From a scope perspective, that's a very difficult task for the character artists to kind of tackle. So instead what we've done is, in order to facilitate a variety of cultural representation between the races but allow for the sharing of assets like different armor sets, we give different representations of those armor sets to each race. – Steven Sharif
Items on back and belt
Alpha-1 modular armor
Your base look for the character can be pretty boring, but what Steven gave us a challenge with from day one was to make sure even the base look, the t-shirt and pants, looked amazing... This is your zero character, if you will... Then you can go in and customize everything from the shoulder pads to the elbow pads, the belt that goes around them; do you want duel belts, you want to harness the clothes in the front. So every piece you see on here you can actually customize that at the front end. So what we do is we scale that up from zero, ten and twenty... We scale it up and we customize it; and then I want to really stress that each one of those looks as you progress is different. We're not just repurposing the same armor pieces. We're making unique sets that complement each other as you progress. – Mat Broome
You can actually have three different types of themes: You have plate, you'll have leather and you'll have robe. So for every armor set that we're showing at each one of those tiers, you're actually gonna have nine unique looks to pick from. – Mat Broome
- Players gain bonuses depending on the number of pieces of the set they have equipped.
- There are passive abilities that can be chosen to become more adept with certain set types.
- There may be set bonuses that members of certain communities will obtain based on gear set type.
- There are tiers of gear that players can access based on their level.
- There will be viable non-set builds.
- Certain set bonuses may trade off core gear stats.
- Racial appearance of gear sets is tied to the character model of that race.
Item creation suite
- Racial skins can be toggled on and off.
There may be plans to create other racial template skins, such as undead or werewolf (lycan) skins in future, but there is no commitment to do so.
- Costumes are not gender locked.
Kickstarter weapon skins
- Usable on all types of weapons.
- Include subtle and tasteful glow/particle effects.
Backer only armor skin
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (9:47).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (5:28).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (22:33).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (53:43).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (50:29).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (19:51).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (54:56).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (48:56).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (44:11).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (20:46).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (55:17).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (24:54).
- Video, 7 February 2017 (0:22).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (19:48).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (20:19).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (22:59).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (22:33).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (22:58).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (56:07).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (24:20).
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (1:04:04).
- Kickstarter 12k+ backers.
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (4:47).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Vestments of the Runecarvers.
- May The 4th, Be With You... And also some skins.
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter.