- Different tiers of gear are accessible based on a character's level.
- Players gain bonuses depending on the number of pieces of the set they have equipped.
- There are passive abilities that can be chosen to become more adept with certain set types.
- There will be viable non-set builds.
- Racial appearance of gear sets is tied to the character model of that race.
- It may be possible to store and swap gear sets with a single button press when out of combat.
- 1 List of gear sets
- 2 Armor themes
- 3 Damage mitigation
- 4 Best-in-slot gear
- 5 Mana-forged armor set
- 6 Regalia of the Iron Lion
- 7 Crafted items
- 8 Gear enhancement
- 9 Modular armor
- 10 Gear appearance
- 11 Racial weapons and armor
- 12 See also
- 13 References
List of gear sets
- Dark Fortunes
- Dragon's Protection
- Lava Forged
- Stat values will be predominately the same but may be able to be adjusted by crafters who are capable with that type of armor.
- Certain armor types are going to have certain type of predominant stat values. So there's going to be certain waterfall stats and/or certain primary attributes that are available on certain armor types; and then if you want to have the one that's not more prominently available- those will be rare to get- you'll have to elicit the services of a crafter who's very capable within that particular type of armor in order to get the non-traditional stats and/or waterfalls available. So there's still the ability to get whatever on these but they're going to be more predetermined for certain types of stats and waterfalls. – Steven Sharif
- Set bonuses are granted to wearers of exclusively one type of armor, for example: all cloth, or all plate.
- There'll be certain types of set bonuses granted across specific full sets or partial sets of armor types. There will be a similar function in how damage is mitigated based on the type of armor you're wearing and how that relates to physical or magical incoming damage. So that's something to keep in mind. It's going to be situational what type of adversarial foe am I facing and what armor is the best against that to mitigate damage. – Steven Sharif
- The "type" of armor (cloth, leather, plate) a character is predominantly wearing is visible in their nameplate.
- You're going to have certain strengths and weaknesses of armor sets and those can be specced into by your opponents. For example, I might place some type of elemental enhancements on my weapon that horizontally changes my outgoing damage and that's going to reflect based on the opponent on my target opponent and what type of armor they have available to them to counter that. – Steven Sharif
- Itemization choice may potentially play into universal skill sets such as Dodge, Parry, and Active blocking.
- We're playing a little bit with the idea of these universal skill sets, such as dodge, parry, block, active blocking, stuff like that; and progression within those areas. There is something to be said I think for incorporating itemization choice as part of that system as well; and how it might affect that system. That's something that I think is going to be coming up in the pitch phase here shortly from design as we implement those universal skills. So you can look out in the future for more information on that. – Steven Sharif
- Light armor is more mobile than heavier armor.
- Light armor is geared towards magical damage mitigation.
- Heavy armor typically has more HP than lighter armor.
- Heavy armor is geared towards physical damage mitigation.
We don't see the need to have these enormous numbers that are really start to lose meaning. That seems to be an innate design issue with other games as they try to balance the damage output in PvP and in PvE; but our design system allows for a more manageable damage protocol for PvE and PvP to be shared; and those damage protocols relate more to lower numbers. – Steven Sharif
- Magic damage is mitigated by cloth armor (light armor).
- Physical damage is mitigated by plate armor (heavy armor).
- There will be resistances to elemental damage.
- Holy/radiant damage are modifying energy types that have corresponding synergies and resistances.
- There is also non-mitigated damage.
- Monsters will have certain types of resistances based on its type.
- Not every monster is going to have unique resistances. They'll share groups of types of resistances based on whether that monster is a particular elemental affinity or a particular heavy armor, particular weapon type, you know stuff like that. So there will be resistances groups that are shared by certain types of monsters and their location and as it relates to their lower background and stuff like that. – Steven Sharif
- Players will be able to counter resistances with resistance penetration stats.
Mana-forged armor set
Verra will be filled with many sets of armor, each set uniquely carved into the history of the world. Mana-forged sets are distinctly vibrant with luminescent magic, pulsating across the body of its hero. We hope you enjoy them, and look forward to many more glimpses into the armors of Verra, waiting for their champions! – Margaret Krohn
Regalia of the Iron Lion
The Iron Lion is a fairly new order, one formed out of a desire to control the unknowable. With the rediscovery of the old world, many Kaelar wondered what lay beyond, considering the incredible power the divine gateways represented. To this end, the Iron Lion focuses not only on martial combat, but also on the art of dampening magic. Without such knowledge, establishing a foothold may be all but impossible - rampant magic is an unpredictable, and many times lethal, complication in any sortie. Due to this, the Iron Lion puts forth significant effort in studying and learning about the magics they come across, hoping to minimize the dangers they pose.
- Highest tier items will be a combo of both crafted and boss dropped.
- Crafters will be able to assign different skills/abilities and stats on gear.
- The rarity of the items will be commensurate with the effort required to gather, process and craft the items.
That plays into our crafting system in and of itself right. The idea is for those stats to be variables that can be kind of dictated based on the mastery level of the particular crafter; and the higher they become a master of those professions, whether it be for armor or for weapons or for accessories, they're going to have some agency and put their mark on essentially what items they're introducing into the economy. – Steven Sharif
- At the moment, harnessing corruption to warp items into demonic or decayed things is not on the cards.
- A crafter's name is embedded in the items they craft.
We believe that every item that exists in the world should in some way reflect its creator. As such, there will be extreme versatility in our crafting system – giving crafters the ability to create unique items that represent their strengths and weaknesses.
Crafting and World Bosses will be the main way to obtain high-level gear. There are some exceptions to this in the form of Legendary items (single server drops or discoveries), and other equipment that may drop wholesale, but we want Artisans and top tier raiding to produce the lion’s share of high level, high effectiveness equipment. – Sarah Flanagan
List of crafted items
|Item||Icon||Item type||Rarity||Level requirement||Set|
|Cloth Belt of Dark Fortunes||Belt||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Boots of Dark Fortunes||Boots||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Epaulettes of Dark Fortunes||Shoulders||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Gloves of Dark Fortunes||Gloves||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Hood of Dark Fortunes||Helmet||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Leggings of Dark Fortunes||Pants||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Robes of Dark Fortune||Chest armor||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Sleeves of Dark Fortune||Wrists||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Demonic Offering Aegis||Shield||Epic||15|
|Imposing Plate Belt||Belt||Rare||9||Imposing|
|Lava Forged Defender||Shield||Rare||Lava Forged|
|Plate Belt of Dragons Protection||Belt||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Plate Boots of Dragons Protection||Boots||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Plate Cussies of Dragons Protection||Pants||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Plate Gauntlets of Dragons Protection||Gloves||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Quill Of The Tundra||Wand||Epic||15|
|Ranseur Of Malice||Spear||Epic||15|
|Replica Of Dignitas||Axe||Epic||15|
|Spire Of Illusion||Staff||Epic||15|
|Transcendent Plate Helm||Helmet||Legendary||15||Transcendent|
Skills and stats on gear
- Master crafters will be able to influence several (but not all) stats on their crafted items.
- There will also be methods of moving stat blocks around but this won't necessarily be an easy task.
- All gear will be able to be assigned any stat.
Crafters will be able to 'rejigger' stat blocks; and there will be a couple of other ways to move things around to create both the look and the stat block that you're looking for. It's not always going to be easy. There will be a lot of challenges involved with that. But the goal is to give you guys the option to customize your gear the way you want them to be. – Jeffrey Bard
Gear is broken down into Core Stats and Additional Stats.
We are very likely going to have a rune system and then we'll have the ability to sort of enchant weapons outside of that too... That's not always going to be like a vertical progression... Some of it's going to be giving up something to get something else; so maybe I do less physical damage but more magical damage, that kind of thing. – Jeffrey Bard
- Progression in various PvP systems will unlock enchantment stones that grant temporary PvP-focused benefits to gear (via a socketing system). Performance is measured over six month PvP seasons.
It's not as though you're going to necessarily acquire these once and then you're set for your PvP enchantments, but instead you'll have to continually perform month after month in order to keep having those slotted enchantments. – Steven Sharif
- Vertical enchantments are a power progression for a crafted item. More damage or mitigations, added effects or bonuses. Vertical enchantments include risks. 
When it comes to over-enchanting things, what we're going to do likely is have a safety- and this is something obviously it needs to be tested- but we're going to have a safety period of enchantment you know like in Lineage 2 I think you could enchant plus four or something. And so we're gonna have a similar system where you can enchant safely and then when you start to take risks, that percentage of potentially damaging your item either through the decay system or completely disabling it through the destruction system will be a risk that's present. – Steven Sharif
- Horizontal enchantments are more situational. For example: I'd like my sword to do force damage instead of holy damage because the monsters I tend to fight are incorporeal.
- You don't really push a particular item's level requirement or the identity of that item. You can enhance it, you can add enchantments to it, but it's still the item it is. – Steven Sharif
Your base look for the character can be pretty boring, but what Steven gave us a challenge with from day one was to make sure even the base look, the t-shirt and pants, looked amazing... This is your zero character, if you will... Then you can go in and customize everything from the shoulder pads to the elbow pads, the belt that goes around them; do you want duel belts, you want to harness the clothes in the front. So every piece you see on here you can actually customize that at the front end. So what we do is we scale that up from zero, ten and twenty... We scale it up and we customize it; and then I want to really stress that each one of those looks as you progress is different. We're not just repurposing the same armor pieces. We're making unique sets that complement each other as you progress. – Mat Broome
You can actually have three different types of themes: You have plate, you'll have leather and you'll have robe. So for every armor set that we're showing at each one of those tiers, you're actually gonna have nine unique looks to pick from. – Mat Broome
- There will not be "oversized" weapons.
- Armor will not be overly sexual in appearance.
- I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a kind of an immersive issue. – Steven Sharif
- Some armor and costumes will be more revealing than others, but there will not be nudity in the game.
Each race is getting its custom geo pieces, which then will share thematic components such as color palette, attachments, design filigree. Those types of things will get shared across the geo but generally you're going to see unique races with unique geo. – Steven Sharif
- Cosmetics can be used by all races but there may be slight variations to make them work with the body builds of each race.
- There are rules when applying cosmetics to specific items, unlike costumes, which don't have level restrictions.
- Cosmetic slots can be toggled on or off by the player.
- A "default player appearance" may be automatically applied during sieges or other large scale battles to improve client-side performance.
- There will be hundreds of attachments available ranging from a small clasp to the front plate of a breast plate.
Racial weapons and armor
The customization of equipment per race is really focused on Armor sets not Weapon props. Weapon props will, from a model standpoint, will translate pretty one-to-one across the races. – Steven Sharif
Let's say for example you have the Eagle set or something, right: The Eagle set has in art, it has a thematic design that's going to include certain attachments to the armor. It's going to include color palette and theme. It's going to have some aspects to it that define it as the Eagle set, right. When a Elf wears the Eagle set or when an Orc wears the Eagle set, you obviously have two different cultures there; and you don't want to stomp out that culture by assigning a de facto 'This is the Eagle set and this is how it looks on everybody.' What we want to have is cultural influences play a role in showing how that set looks. – Steven Sharif
When you say, what if I'm an Orc but want to look like an Elf and I want my Eagle set to be the Elf representation? Well the issue becomes there that you know Orcs have a different organic model. You know, their body is different than that of the Elf. So, from a scope-creep standpoint, it's one thing to add different influences that represent the cultures that are donning the armor; it's another thing to adapt each influence as a matrix that can be worn pretty much by everything. From a scope perspective, that's a very difficult task for the character artists to kind of tackle. So instead what we've done is, in order to facilitate a variety of cultural representation between the races but allow for the sharing of assets like different armor sets, we give different representations of those armor sets to each race. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (48:39).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (54:29).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (22:33).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:02:08).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (56:07).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (55:17).
- Livestream, 19 November 2021 (40:53).
- Livestream, 30 April 2021 (41:18).
- Podcast, 29 September 2021 (52:58).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (53:08).
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (2:00:09).
- Interview, 28 July 2020 (49:35).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (32:10).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (53:10).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:02:44).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (32:15).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (15:11).
- Livestream, 30 July 2021 (1:07:03).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:34:55).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (1:45).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:05:04).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (27:47).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (26:19).
- Livestream, 25 June 2021 (1:08:23).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (1:33:11).
- Blog: 2019-02-28 State of the Game Live-stream and Mana-forged Armor
- Regalia of the Iron Lion.
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (14:45).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (1:05:22).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (59:58).
- Livestream, 22 December 2020 (1:15:01).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (24:19).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- February 8, 2019 - Questions and Answers.
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (1:14:54).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (1:11:19).
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (21:37).
- Livestream, 26 March 2021 (1:15:57).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (14:22).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (16:34).
- Interview, 29 July 2020 (15:04).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (58:55).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (20:19).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (22:59).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (50:20).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (19:51).
- Reddit Q&A, 8 January 2019.
- Livestream, 23 December 2021 (1:34:07).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (53:43).
- Livestream, 24 September 2021 (1:25:27).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (54:56).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (9:47).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (1:13:22).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (48:56).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (5:28).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (57:50).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (50:29).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (54:10).
- Livestream, November 22 2019 (1:08:05).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (3:34:46).
- Video, 30 September 2020 (2:44).
- Livestream, 30 September 2020 (47:47).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (54:06).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (44:11).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (20:46).