- Although traditional roles are present, players should not feel branded by their primary archetype.
- Skill augments available through the class system allow characters to be personalized outside of their primary role.
- Players can also double down on their archetype choice to strengthen their primary role.
We have our eight base archetypes; and the trinity is a pretty strong influence with regards to the eight base classes. However the area in which we begin to play with that line between the trinity is in the secondary classes that you can pick. That's where be begin to blend those spaces and allow people a little bit of influence over their role and whether or not they fit perfectly within a particular category within the trinity. – Steven Sharif
- There are four primary groups of augments assigned to each base archetype. Balancing of augments relates to the four augment groups for each of the eight archetypes.
There will be match ups in 1v1s where one class will be superior to another; and that application should be a rock-paper-scissors dynamic. We want there to be counter-play between the different classes... Instead it's going to be a group focused balance, where as long as you have the diversity of classes present, that's going to be an equal level playing field. It's going to be very dependent on skill and strategy. – Steven Sharif
Certain archetypes are capable of moving the gap between their counterpart per-se. If I am a Tank archetype and a Mage is my counter, I can take a Mage secondary and kind of bridge the divide slightly; and then move my identity that direction ever so slightly. – Steven Sharif
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse class kits
- These test the class structure for action combat, allowing players gain access to skills for their chosen class.
- Base class skills are selected from a host of available skills for that class.
- Weapon skills are applied to augment a class' base skills.
- Healing skills will be part of Class kits.
- This will include proximity based, directional based and projectile based healing.
Class kits come into play with the castle siege mode. So when Castle sieges get implemented- which shouldn't be too far in the into the alpha-1- that's when we will implement the class structure for action combat and start playing with these class kits where you join in a particular class and you immediately have access to certain class specific skills. Class skills that you can predetermine as well from a host of skills to select from; and then those will be your base class skills you have access to; and then if you pick up weapons they'll augment those skills. – Steven Sharif
- Group dynamics blog.
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (46:04).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:40:16).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (1:45:09).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (35:11).
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (59:28).
- Podcast, 23 April 2018 (1:01:01).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (8:16).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (11:38).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (12:05).