The developers anticipate max level should be attainable in approximately 45 days.
- There will be no "grindy" quests.
- There will not be repetitive quest lines through a single dungeon to obtain gear.
- The aspiration is to have more things to do in the game than a player has time to do.
Mentor program/ level scaling
There will be a mentorship program where upper-level players are able to benefit from partying and/or helping lower level players; and getting them situated in the game.
- Levels or skills will not be adjusted to allow low level players to participate in dungeons with higher level players.
There will be activities that are present for higher level players to mentor lower level players. Let's say you have a friend who joins later on and you still want to do things with them, there will be things to do. Will you he be able to enter a dungeon of your level and participate? No, because we don't want to inflate or deflate characters and manipulate that type of skill or power. We want that to be something that makes sense for them in a progression standpoint. – Steven Sharif
As a player progresses with their primary archetype (primary class), they will have the opportunity to choose a secondary archetype to augment their primary skills with effects from their secondary archetype (secondary class). The combination of primary and secondary archetypes is referred to as a Class.
If a Fighter were to choose Mage as a secondary archetype, the fighter would become a Spellsword. This combination opens up augments that can be applied to skills in their primary skill tree. Fighters have a Rush skill that allows them to rush towards a target; and upon reaching the target, deal an amount damage with a chance to knock the target down. A Mage's escape augment could be applied to the rush skill, which would now teleport the player to the target; thus eliminating the charge time on the skill.
- It will not be possible to max all skills in a skill tree.
Zones and progression
We don’t have a strictly level 25 zone. Instead, that zone might have some level 10 creatures near the road, some level 20 creatures deep in the forest, and some level 30 creatures up the mountain. These ratios will change based on the Nodes that inform them, becoming generally more dangerous as the Node grows. All this civilization attracts the attention of Things-That-Should-Not-Be. This does not mean that wilderness areas are safe, by any means. Some may be safe-er, but all will have dangers that even the most experienced traveler needs to watch out for.
You're going to see in the world naturally there will be locations that are going to have a mix of different levels of monsters and difficulty levels; and then those spawn tables relate to the development of nearby nodes so as nodes develop they'll be changing the spawn tables around them to reflect their further development in the world, presenting new and more difficult dangers that the players can can participate in. – Steven Sharif
- Choosing the same primary and secondary archetype increases focus on that archetype.
- Each skill in the primary tree has a minimum of four augment choices from the secondary tree.
- In terms of skill progression, players can choose to go "wide" and get a number of different abilities, or go "deep" into a few specific abilities.
- Changing the augmentations on your skills will require you to go to a NPC in a Village node or higher.
- Active skills could look totally different after an augment gets applied.
Key for the augment system is that these augments are meant to demonstrate a core identity of the secondary class type you've chosen. So if from the eight archetypes whatever you choose as your secondary, you're going to receive a choice of augments that relate to some core ideal of that class. You know like a tank is about controlling the battlefield, is about surviving. The mage is about dealing damage and elements and ability in AoEs. The rogue is going to be about stealth and critical damage. So those augments are going to to play towards those identities. – Steven Sharif
The idea behind the system is that you're kind of skirting the line through these augmentations of your role, right. We have the traditional holy trinity that's present in class designs for MMOs and it's often that those either are not deviated at all or completely deviated from entirely. The augment is to kind of offer a balance between that where you still maintain the semblance of that trinity system while offering the opportunity to customize your play experience towards one of the other angles in the triangle. – Steven Sharif
- Rested experience allows players to gain experience at a faster rate for a period of time.
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (46:27).
- Livestream, 15 December 2017 (58:48).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (19:25).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (26:13).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (4:15).
- Video, 5 April 2018 (40:08).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (8:52).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (52:41).
- Ashes of Creation class list.
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (19:05).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (30:53).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- A world with consequences.
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (15:56).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (24:33).
- Video, 7 February 2017 (0:02s).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (41:56).
- Livestream, 16 November 2017 (30:02).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (20:45).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (53:15).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (1:00:44).
- Interview, 8 August 2018 (22:27).
- The mighty beard!