- Allow testing of different builds as needed.
- Provide equipment needed to test various scenarios.
There will be a "comfortable" number of character slots on launch.
Player housing and alts
|Apartments||Instanced.||Village stage and higher.||One per server.|
|Freeholds||Open world.||Village stage and higher.||One per account.|
|Static housing||In-node.||Village stage and higher.||One per server.|
- Q: If I put an alt on a different server I could have like in node housing or like at least an instanced house?
- A: Correct, yes. – Steven Sharif
Node citizenship and alts
- Citizenship tickets may also grant citizenship to certain node stages. This mechanic will be decided based on testing.
We want these places to be populated and people to be attracted to them and so right now we think housing is enough for that. But we don't want to design ourselves into a corner where we don't have any other options, so the hope is that yes citizenship will be only gained through housing; with our caveat that if that doesn't work well we'll change it. – Jeffrey Bard
- A player can only claim citizenship to one node at a time.
- Only one citizenship may be declared per account, per server.
- This may have changed to one citizenship per account.
- Citizenship is lost if the node is destroyed. A player can then become citizen of another node.
- Node citizenship is not tied to membership of a guild. Guilds don't "own" nodes.
Your account is bound to one declared citizenship per server, which means that if you have two alts and your main character on one server you may only be a citizen of one node between those three... If you have an alt on a different server, it could be a citizen of a node as well. – Steven Sharif
Changing citizenship has a cooldown of two weeks.
- This applies to players who renounce their citizenship in a node.
You can declare citizenship to only one node and when you declare that citizenship. Let's say for example, one guild perhaps wanting to kind of take all their members and have them all declare the same citizenship to a location. The longer a node exists the higher the prize it is to take and some systems with regards to crafting progression and/or rewards and bonuses or the reliquary that we haven't really touched on a lot, those systems are going to be so enticing that from an incentive standpoint it will compel other groups to either potentially break alliances or siege the city in order to take the goods that are potentially in it. So, from an incentive standpoint we have that at play. Additionally, we don't have a cap per-se that we've announced yet on the citizenship aspect of being in a node, but we do have soft caps. It becomes costlier the higher number of citizens each time one new person wants to join to be part of a node. So, there is sort of a soft cap on how many citizens one node can have and it might be that not all in the guild can participate in that area. So, there's kind of a natural divide: A pseudo faction, so to speak between who is a part of that node and who is not. – Steven Sharif
Artisan classes and alts
Players must choose a path in the artisan skill tree for each character. Within each of the three parent artisan paths (Gathering, Processing and Crafting) there are different professions. A character may only ever master one of these parent paths.
Gathering is a parent artisan path, along with processing and crafting. Within each of the three parent paths lies different professions. You may only ever master one parent path. But you may spend time mastering each profession within the parent artisan path. – Steven Sharif
Becoming a master Crafter or a master Processor or a master Gatherer should be a significant time investment and resource investment; and because of that it should also be something that when you achieve that status it's like people on the server know who you are. – Steven Sharif
- Players can dabble in all professions at a "beginners" level before they decide to master a particular pathway.
- Choosing a specific path in the skill tree allows the player an opportunity to specialize in a certain area. This encourages player inter-dependency, enhancing the artisan experience.
- It is possible to master multiple professions (but not all) within a parent artisan path, but this will be a long and labor intensive feat, requiring many resources.
- Masteries aren’t just about making an item. They grant many things, including titles, access to items, bargains, and quests. 
Players will have the opportunity to kind of dabble in all of the professions at a very beginners level and then you know that kind of gives them an understanding of what that profession feels like and then allows them to kind of pinpoint the direction that they want to go in to master particular professions. – Steven Sharif
When we reference not being masters of all that doesn't mean you're not a master within your own one of the three artisan types, which is you know crafter or gatherer, processor. You will be a master of one of those, you will not be master of the other two. – Steven Sharif
Player to player trading
- Q: Will Ashes of Creation have player-to-player trading? Will there be anything stopping me from gifting a friend that's fresh to the game a bunch of in-game money to help them get on their feet quickly?
- A: There won't be anything to stop you from doing that. – Steven Sharif
- Banking between characters will likely be restricted to Furniture and completed items.
- A warehouse ability may enable a player to transfer non-material goods between alternate characters. This excludes resources, materials or anything that relies on the caravan system.
- Cosmetic skins.
- Moving items between characters, where they are only applicable to one character at a time.
- A character may only belong to one family at a time.
- Leaving one family and joining another family will have a cooldown period in the order of days.
- Family sizes are limited to eight characters.
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (18:25).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (19:15).
- Podcast, 4 May 2017 (51:52).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (57:00).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Steven Sharif - Clarification points from today’s stream.
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (50:47).
- Livestream, 28 March 2020 (1:02:56).
- Livestream, 9 July 2018 (27:12).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (53:24).
- Interview, 29 July 2020 (17:26).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (50:05).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:36).
- Video, 5 April 2018 (41:48).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (44:52).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (32:07).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (1:09:46).
- Interview, 20 July 2020 (18:47).
- Interview, 27 March 2020 (5:25).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (6:12).
- Ashes of Creation - The visuals.
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (10:32).
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (46:56).
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:23:31).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (23:18).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (18:10).
- Video, 6 September 2018 (3:53).
- Livestream, 9 July 2018 (50:16).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:37:27).
- Livestream, 8 may 2017 (48:39).