- Family sizes are normally limited to eight characters.
- A character may only belong to one family at a time.
- Leaving one family and joining another family will have a cooldown period in the order of days.
- There are costs associated with family creation and maintenance.
- There's not going to be a ton of ton of parcels all over the world- that might not be feasible for every player to get one; but... if you can be a family member and you have a whole family owning a freehold together, it'll allow many more players to see the system and partake in it. – Kory Rice
- Players can charge for access to their family via player-to-player trading, but there won't be game mechanics or UI systems around this.
- The family system is not a core pillar of the game and will be changed based on testing and feedback.
- Character names are unique per server.
- There is a minimum length of three for a character name.
- Special characters, including apostrophes and hyphens, are currently not allowed in character names.
- Currently we don't allow special characters in character names (including apostrophes and/or hyphens). It's possible this changes in the future. – Ry Schueller
- Marriage increases family size by one to allow player housing permissions to be shared.
- A NPC may offer quests relating to a marriage ceremony. This may come online post-launch.
You might have a NPC that is specifically a RP event NPC. This is a person who marries you and you come up to them and they have a quest that relates to finding the cosmetic attire for the wedding; and once you have that achieved you must find a Best man or Maid of honor- these are systems that can be created around immersion in the game. – Steven Sharif
Marriage may unlock different activities that are not available to characters who are not married.
- Interaction with the freehold system.
- Unlocking certain node quests.
- Impacts on social organizations.
- Other mechanics will be discussed in the future.
There are not plans for gender neutral neutral pronouns. However our marriage system which will be present does not take into account gender. So two individuals of any sex will be able to utilize the marriage system and we feel that that's pretty important to really reflect the nature the cultures in Ashes of Creation: That it does not have that conflict present in this fantasy world that we may have experienced in the past in our real world; and that's a good place both from a sanctuary standpoint through people who are maybe experiencing that in the real world to get away from it in the fantasy world: We wanted to provide that type of outlet. – Steven Sharif
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Family summon||Long duration cast (30 seconds to a minute) with an approximate 30 minute cooldown that slowly summons each of your family members to your location (up to eight members). Players cannot be summoned in the following cases:||-||-|
Player housing storage
- Players must obtain and place storage containers in their player-owned housing.
- Different grades of storage containers have different inventory capacities.
- There are restrictions on the grades of storage containers available in different types of houses.
- Access permissions can be set to allow others to access a player's personal storage devices.
- Players are prohibited from moving goods out of depositories within a node following a siege declaration against that node.
- Corrupt players are not able to utilize storage systems.
- Ability to open the door and enter the home.
- Access to crops.
- Ability to deposit or withdraw items from storage containers.
- Permission to use furniture or crafting stations.
- Marriage enables family size to increase by one so that housing access can be shared.
- Access lists can be used to mimic co-ownership.
- Payment of taxes may be via a "gentleman's agreement".
- It'll be a single owner based system for those types of properties- for properties in general, but it doesn't prevent players obviously from collaborating and pooling resources in order to achieve certain achievements in the game. – Steven Sharif
- Freehold ownership is designated by one account only and then the family system is the system that facilitates multiple accounts having permission basis within that freehold. – Steven Sharif
- Freehold permissions are intended to work with the family and guild systems.
- This includes permission to enter the homestead, interact with furniture, access storage, interact with crafting or processing stations, and harvest resources.
- Permissions to help manage your home are handled through affiliations like your Guild and family system. When setting permissions for your Freehold to do things like enter the house, interact with furniture, access Freehold storage, interact with crafting and processing stations, and harvesting gatherables on a Freehold, you can set if your Guild or family members should be able to do these things.
- Permission to decorate a freehold is restricted to the owner of the freehold. Previously it was stated that permission to decorate but not take anything from the house would be able to be assigned to other players.
- Items stored in a freehold become lootable after a successful siege against their parent node. It has not been decided which players get to loot the debris field during this period.
- Only players given permission to do so will be able to do things like access your Freehold storage, and harvest crops and animals on your Freehold. These permissions are capable of being individually assigned per interaction. Note that if the node associated with your Freehold is successfully destroyed during a siege event, attackers will be able to assault Freeholds, and have a chance to pillage them for their resources.
Players cannot PvP while inside the footprint of a freehold homestead even if the doors are unlocked. This does not apply for a period of two hours following a successful siege against its parent node.
- Your home building is safe from PvP. While on the footprint of your home, you can not be harmed by damage from other players.
- NPC guards may be available for hire to defend freeholds after a successful node siege. NPC guards that permanently exist on a freehold are not a planned feature.
- Duels may be initiated within a freehold or node as they are considered self-contained events that are opt-in by all parties, and do not fall under the player flagging system.
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:37:27).
- Livestream, May 8, 2017 (48:39).
- Livestream, January 29, 2021 (1:13:04).
- Livestream, February 26, 2021 (1:10:28).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (26:23).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (27:10).
- Livestream, July 28, 2023 (1:30:11).
- Livestream, May 8, 2017 (48:39).
- Livestream, October 14, 2022 (2:53).
- Livestream, October 31, 2017 (48:39).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (2:45).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Harmony Attire.
- Interview, February 7, 2021 (55:22).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (53:58).
- Podcast, May 11, 2018 (1:05:58).
- Interview, July 19, 2020 (1:20:58).
- Podcast, July 26, 2020 (1:34:47).
- Podcast, July 26, 2020 (1:32:15).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (22:34).
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:14:33).
- Video, May 31, 2020 (47:32).
- Livestream, August 17, 2018 (10:54).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:12:33).
- Livestream, June 26, 2020 (51:58).
- Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:23:31).
- Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:14:44).
- Interview, July 8, 2020 (57:46).
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (1:12:24).
- Livestream, October 28, 2022 (24:28).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:14:49).
- Livestream, August 31, 2023 (22:32).
- Livestream, June 26, 2020 (58:32).
- Livestream, May 19, 2017 (26:40).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (1:19:01).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (1:24:16).
- Livestream, February 9, 2018 (51:57).
- Blog: Exploring the Boundless Opportunities of Freeholds.
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (53:08).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (28:21).
- Development Update with Freehold Preview.
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (1:15:34).
- Livestream, May 17, 2017 (1:03:23).
- Livestream, July 28, 2023 (1:26:16).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (1:49:00).
- Livestream, November 19, 2021 (54:26).
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (2:04:00).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Livestream, May 19, 2017 (28:04).
- Livestream, January 18, 2018 (31:05).
- Livestream, December 23, 2021 (1:29:27).