Starting areas (starting zones) are located in the ruined cities of the four ancient races of Verra.
- Starting areas are located near one of the four divine gateways where players spawn into the world.
- Each race has its own starting area.
- Starting areas include expeditionary NPC settlements that serve as initial quest origination points. Lore-wise, these settlements represent scouts that were sent ahead of the main expedition back to Verra.
- Starting areas are not tied to the node system.
A problem that a lot of MMOs have is that those starting areas become just kind of vacant of players and it's so sad because the greatest aspect of an MMO is that community that you get to experience, so one of the great things about the node system is that it really works from new player acquisition standpoint, where these nodes tend to develop larger near the starting location areas around the world; and it brings these players back to those locations if they're citizens and want services within those cities. So, as new players enter the world they're going to actually be surrounded most likely by more population because people are coming back to those larger nodes. – Steven Sharif
Alpha-1 starting area
The Alpha-1 starting area was set in the ruins of a Pyrian divine gateway to the south of alpha island.
Alpha-2 starting area
- The Riverlands biome houses the Aelan divine gateway in Alpha-2.
Divine gateways are portals located in the ruined cities of the four ancient races of Verra.
- Divine gateways are where players first arrive in Ashes of Creation.
- Each divine gateway is in proximity to one or more starting area.
- Players can choose their starting gateway. This choice is not restricted by their choice of race.
- Tulnar characters have the same option of starting at any of the divine gateways as other races.
- The divine gateways were created by the Goddess of Creation in response to a warning from the Goddess of Fate that The Ancients and The Others would return from exile and seek retribution for their defeat at the hands of The Seven gods.
Where players start, they enter this portal from another world called Sanctus. Sanctus is a place of no magic, low technology; and players are the first expeditioners that are coming through this portal into the world of Verra. – Jeffrey Bard
Tulnar starting area
Tulnar have a starting area that does not involve a divine gateway.
- Points of interest exist that represent Tulnar NPC structures in a similar fashion to the starting areas around divine gateways.
- Tulnar have the same option of starting at any of the divine gateways as other races.
Tulnar have the same option of starting at any of the divine gateways. Their civilization, though within the underrealm, has also begun to explore the surface. – Steven Sharif
Unlike the other races, the Tulnar won’t be returning to Verra, instead they will be returning to the surface from the Underrealm for the first time in generations.
- The Underrealm itself does not have a divine gateway.
There will be a mentorship program where upper-level players are able to benefit from partying and/or helping lower level players; and getting them situated in the game.
- Certain node buildings and organizations offer quests that can be initiated by a mentor to assist new players. Rewards are offered to both the mentor and the mentee upon completion.
There will be activities that are present for higher level players to mentor lower level players. Let's say you have a friend who joins later on and you still want to do things with them, there will be things to do. Will he be able to enter a dungeon of your level and participate? No, because we don't want to inflate or deflate characters and manipulate that type of skill or power. We want that to be something that makes sense for them in a progression standpoint. – Steven Sharif
The mentorship program provides individual quests that can be initiated by the mentor based off of what node that they are part of. So these are like quests that are determined by either certain buildings and/or organizations or the mayor; and there are specific ones that are available for mentors to provide mentees; and they can also participate in some of those quest lines as well: Whether that be leading your mentee through a dungeon or providing a location for them to arrive with you at, or escort quests for the NPC caravans. These types of things, when done together with your mentor, will provide benefits both for the mentor and the mentee as well, so you're incentivized to participate with new players. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ Livestream, March 28, 2020 (32:30).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:03:03).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Livestream, October 16, 2017 (53:58).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3
- ↑ Livestream, May 19, 2017 (29:25).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Livestream, July 28, 2017 (25:20).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Video, April 5, 2018 (40:08).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Livestream, March 26, 2021 (17:23).
- ↑ Livestream, March 26, 2021 (16:05).
- ↑ Livestream, May 27, 2022 (1:04:29).
- ↑ Video, May 27, 2022 (3:46).
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Livestream, November 8, 2020 (0:00:00).
- ↑ Livestream, May 19, 2017 (29:25).
- ↑ Interview, July 20, 2020 (13:33).
- ↑ Interview, April 20, 2018 (5:46).
- ↑ Livestream, May 17, 2017 (5:49).
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 21.3 21.4 Livestream, September 30, 2020 (1:07:22).
- ↑ Interview, August 24, 2018 (8:52).