- Progression pathways in Ashes of Creation are per-character.
- Storage space is shared between characters on the same account.
- Characters on the same account are able to share player housing, including furniture and freehold workstations.
- Cosmetics can be reassigned to characters within an account, with a potential cooldown period.
- Alts within a single account may have different professions.
Players are permitted to own multiple accounts, but are subject to rules relating to multi-boxing.
There will be character limits during the Alpha and Beta testing phases. These are probably going to be more relaxed than for live launch.
- Allow testing of different builds as needed.
- Provide equipment needed to test various scenarios.
There will be a "comfortable" number of character slots on launch.
Guild membership and alts
A character may only be a member of a single guild.
- Alts on the same account can join different guilds.
- Intrigue, espionage and intelligence gathering is a legitimate aspect of the game.
- A guild may only have a single guild leader.
- Transfer of guild leadership is possible, but mechanics on transferring leadership if a guild leader has abandoned the guild have not been finalized.
- Guild masters can issue payouts to guild members.
Player housing and alts
|Player housing||Type.||Availability.||Starting count.||Ownership limit.|
|Apartments||Instanced.||Village stage and higher.||50.||One per character per server.|
|Freeholds||Open world.||Village stage and higher.||Ample.||One per account.|
|Static housing||In-node.||Village stage and higher.||8.||One per character per server.|
- Q: Freeholds specifically are locked one per account?
- A: Correct. – Steven Sharif
- Q: If I put an alt on a different server I could have like in node housing or like at least an instanced house?
- A: Correct, yes. – Steven Sharif
Node citizenship and alts
Player housing grants the ability to claim citizenship of a Village (stage 3) node or higher.
- Citizenship tickets may also grant citizenship to certain node stages. This mechanic will be decided based on testing.
- A player can only claim citizenship to one node at a time.
- You can declare citizenship to only one node and when you declare that citizenship. Let's say for example, one guild perhaps wanting to kind of take all their members and have them all declare the same citizenship to a location. The longer a node exists the higher the prize it is to take and some systems with regards to crafting progression and/or rewards and bonuses or the reliquary that we haven't really touched on a lot, those systems are going to be so enticing that from an incentive standpoint it will compel other groups to either potentially break alliances or siege the city in order to take the goods that are potentially in it. So, from an incentive standpoint we have that at play. Additionally, we don't have a cap per-se that we've announced yet on the citizenship aspect of being in a node, but we do have soft caps. It becomes costlier the higher number of citizens each time one new person wants to join to be part of a node. So, there is sort of a soft cap on how many citizens one node can have and it might be that not all in the guild can participate in that area. So, there's kind of a natural divide: A pseudo faction, so to speak between who is a part of that node and who is not. – Steven Sharif
- Your account is bound to one declared citizenship per server, which means that if you have two alts and your main character on one server you may only be a citizen of one node between those three... If you have an alt on a different server, it could be a citizen of a node as well. – Steven Sharif
- Citizenship is lost if the node is destroyed. A player can then become citizen of another node.
- Node citizenship is not tied to membership of a guild. Guilds don't "own" nodes.
- Players can interact with the node board to get a list of citizens of the node. Clicking on a citizen will reveal information about their guild, society, religion, and property ownership.
- A player does not need to declare citizenship of any node. These players won't need to pay taxes but will miss out on benefits of citizenship.
Artisan classes and alts
Progression within the artisan tree occurs based on experience (repetition of tasks) as well as achievements of certain benchmarks within each branch (Gathering, Processing and Crafting).
- Choosing a specific path in the skill tree allows the player an opportunity to specialize in a certain area. This encourages player inter-dependency, enhancing the artisan experience.
- When we reference not being masters of all that doesn't mean you're not a master within your own one of the three artisan types, which is you know crafter or gatherer, processor. You will be a master of one of those, you will not be master of the other two. – Steven Sharif
- Progression within artisan classes does not directly relate to progression in a character's adventuring class, but there are requirements that take into account dangers, locations, toolsets, and surveying options that are level dependent.
- It is likely that characters will gain an amount of XP as they progress toward mastery of their profession, however it should be expected that some master artisans might be significantly lower than the level cap.
- Q: In regards to character level and artisan level. We know that currently there are two separate things. That being said, what prevents a player from staying level one and partying up with a level 50 player to then gather level 50 resources in the high zones? That way, anyone who wants to take those resources will have to kill the gatherer who is level one and get a large amount of corruption for killing a level one as a level 50.
- A: Gathering higher level resources requires significant advancement within a particular profession for that gatherable resource. So, if I'm a Miner and I want to access the highest possible mineral, I need to be a master miner; and in order to achieve the master minor status I am going to be gaining adventuring level experience through that process, because many of those quest lines, many of those achievements are facilitated through quest lines. Some of those quest lines interface with adventuring difficulties that are out in the wild at certain levels. So that's going to predicate me- that's going to be a predicate for me to achieve a certain level in order to complete some of these quest lines and achieve that master status. So you will you will likely not see the ability of a level one alt character having the access to high level mineral mining, or any other type of gatherable out there. – Steven Sharif
Banking and alts
Nodes advance to the first stage quickly. This enables NPC services such as vending or banking items.
- Banking between characters will likely be restricted to Furniture and completed items.
- A warehouse ability may enable a player to transfer non-material goods between alternate characters. This excludes resources, materials or anything that relies on the caravan system.
Account management and alts
Cosmetics can be reassigned to other characters (alts) within an account but can only be active on one character at a time.
- There will likely be a cooldown for reassigning cosmetics between characters.
- The account management page is used to assign or reassign crowdfunding skins and items that are only applicable to one character at a time.
Mailing items to alts
- Raw gatherables and materials are not able to be mailed by players.
- Purchases of anything other than materials and gatherables from integrated auction houses will be mailed to the purchaser.
- Social messages sent via mail will be received instantly.
- It hasn't been decided whether crafted items such as gear will be able to be sent via mail.
- From an item standpoint obviously we can't allow mailing to include any type of resource material or raw gatherable because those are central to the gameplay and transiting through the caravan system and economic regions. But it may be possible to send completed crafted items like you know gear, equipment, stuff like that. But it's something we're still discussing. – Steven Sharif
Families are a means to relate up to nine characters.
- Family sizes are normally limited to eight characters.
- Marriage increases family size by one to allow player housing permissions to be shared.
- This size increase only applies if the family's head is married.
- A character may only belong to one family at a time.
- Leaving one family and joining another family will have a cooldown period in the order of days.
There are costs associated with family creation and maintenance.
- Some costs are shared among the family members and other costs are specific to the family head.
- ↑ Livestream, May 15, 2017 (18:25).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Podcast, May 4, 2017 (51:52).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Livestream, April 7, 2023 (1:04:16).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:17:40).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:14:33).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Livestream, May 15, 2017 (19:15).
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2
- ↑ Livestream, May 24, 2017 (32:07).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation Forums - Poll + Bonus Dev Discussion - Multiboxing.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Livestream, May 24, 2017 (57:00).
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Podcast, May 5, 2017 (47:20).
- ↑ Livestream, May 17, 2017 (58:18).
- ↑ Livestream, May 26, 2017 (47:35).
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 17.4 Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- ↑ Steven Sharif - Clarification points from today’s stream.
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 20.3 20.4 Interview, May 11, 2018 (50:47).
- ↑ Livestream, March 28, 2020 (1:02:56).
- ↑ MMOGames interview, January 2017
- ↑ Livestream, July 9, 2018 (27:12).
- ↑ Livestream, May 19, 2017 (53:24).
- ↑ Video, April 5, 2018 (41:48).
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 27.2 Interview, July 29, 2020 (17:26).
- ↑ 29.0 29.1 Interview, May 11, 2018 (50:05).
- ↑ Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:01:00).
- ↑ Livestream, May 26, 2017 (44:52).
- ↑ Interview, February 7, 2021 (36:38).
- ↑ Livestream, May 10, 2017 (6:12).
- ↑ Livestream, July 26, 2019 (1:09:46).
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 35.2 Livestream, April 7, 2023 (1:00:55).
- ↑ Livestream, October 28, 2022 (1:32:38).
- ↑ Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:31:11).
- ↑ Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:23:31).
- ↑ Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (23:18).
- ↑ Livestream, January 29, 2021 (46:48).
- ↑ Livestream, May 26, 2017 (18:10).
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 43.2 43.3 Livestream, January 29, 2021 (1:14:53).
- ↑ Video, September 6, 2018 (3:53).
- ↑ Livestream, July 9, 2018 (50:16).
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 47.2 47.3 Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:37:27).
- ↑ Livestream, May 8, 2017 (48:39).
- ↑ Livestream, January 29, 2021 (1:13:04).
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 51.2 Livestream, February 26, 2021 (1:10:28).