- Mounts can also be found in the wild and tamed.
- There are three different tiers of mount.
- Cosmetic skins can be applied to the appearance of mounts that were earned in game.
- Mount skins are applicable to specific classes of mounts.
- For example, the Ramstrider skin will only be applicable to the class of land mounts (tier 1), and the Nighthunter Gryphon skin is only applicable to the class of royal mounts (tier 3).
- Certain tier 2 mount skins (such as the Emberstorm Dragon) can be upgraded to tier 3 skins if they also apply to royal mounts.
- Mounts will be purchasable from players utilizing Animal husbandry and taming.
- 1 Mount abilities and stats
- 2 Summoning mounts
- 3 Land mounts
- 4 Gliding mounts
- 5 Flying mounts (Royal mounts)
- 6 Aquatic mounts
- 7 Crowdfunding mounts
- 8 Mount barding
- 9 Racial mounts
- 10 Group mounts
- 11 Mount drops
- 12 Naming mounts
- 13 Animal husbandry
- 14 Stables
- 15 Faster travel
- 16 Cosmetic store
- 17 See also
- 18 References
Mount abilities and stats
- Mounts will provide resistances, defensive abilities, skills, charge abilities, and attacks.
- Mounts will have varied speeds.
- Players can't use their class skills while mounted.
- Mounts can be killed by players, but can be resurrected.
The dragon will have a lot of capability in PvP. It's primarily its purpose, because as it relates to Castles and the sieges they're in, or Nodes and the sieges they're in. We want dragons to have large scale ramifications against player raids. – Steven Sharif
- Animal husbandry mounts are summoned via an item that is obtainable from a stable (husbandry stall).
- De-summoning the mount returns the item back to the player's inventory.
Flying mounts (Royal mounts)
- If dropped from World bosses, royal mounts will have a life-span likely between two weeks and four weeks, after which the mounts will pass away.
- Each server will likely have a dozen or so flying battle mounts at any given time.
- Royal mounts will only fly for owners of Castles or Mayors of a Metropolis, otherwise they will run and glide.
Generally flying is not something that we're going to be doing in this game and there's a lot of reasons for that: Some of it is economic, some of it is ... you create this really great looking world and we don't want you flying over all the time. – Jeffrey Bard
Dragons are a class of these royal mounts. You can get different types of royal mounts. They don't have to be dragons. They could be some other type of legendary mythical creature... It will be an epic looking large-scale creature and people will notice you and it while you are approaching. – Steven Sharif
- These may only be granted if the castle nodes are successfully established prior to the siege.
- Node A grants 1 undermount, Node B grants 2 undermounts, and Node C grants 2 undermounts.
- This system is subject to change during testing.
- Basic mounts are obtained through an early quest that is available to all players in starting areas.
- Players assign cosmetic skins to a character on their account from the account management page.
- The skin can then be applied to change the appearance of the mount that was earned in game.
- This does not remove the skin itself. It can be applied again to any other applicable mount in the future.
- Players may remove the skin from a character and assign it to another character on their account.
- Skins can only ever be active on one character and one mount.
The Dawnbreaker mount skin is used in a similar fashion as described, but is only applicable to a certain class of mounts. Aquatic mount skins, like the Tidesnapper, are also used in a similar fashion, but are only applicable to the aquatic class of mounts.
- Animals found through taming can be bred to discover lesser-known species variants with untold powers and abilities.
- Mounts, such as horses are an early gateway into the Animal husbandry profession.
- Animal husbandry will be an exploritative profession.
Many animals that can be tamed and bred through the animal husbandry profession can be found in herds across the lands of Verra. These herds represent a gatherable resource, of sorts, that masters of the animal husbandry profession may then use to discover lesser-known species variants with untold powers and abilities. Mounts play a large role in Ashes of Creation, and animals like the horse are an early gateway into the unlimited possibilities that await those skilled in the arts of husbandry.
- Rare creatures can be captured and tamed to breed animals with specific traits.
- Special mounts such as Dragons are not breedable.
- Breeding will change the stats of the mount that is being bred.
- There is a form of genetics, but it won't be complex. Genetic lines react to the type of mount or creature that has been captured or tamed.
Animal husbandry involves a tree of its own that players get to discover via what pairings they choose... That's going to be a pretty fun aspect of creating rare mounts that haven't been seen in the world. – Steven Sharif
There are stages of development within breeding.
- Youngling stage: For mammals this relates to baby animals. For lizards (reptiles) this is an egg stage.
- Changes at the Youngling stage affect the appearance of the animal at adulthood.
- During the Youngling stage there may also be quests for specific types of cosmetic features.
There is a compendium of acceptable parameters for breeding, which isn't going to be known until players discover it.
- This discovery may be different for different players.
- Trial and error and exploration and discovery of certain breeding habits and different quests may grant access to slots in the compendium.
- A type of building for housing mounts.
- Animal husbandry stalls where mounts can be obtained.
- Castles come with a royal stables.
- Mayors can choose to build royal stables within their node. Once chosen, the community will need to build the stables through quests.
- Royal mounts must be mounted in a royal stables in order to fly.
The royal mounts will be the only class of mounts that can fully fly in the world; and they are will be needed to be mounted while in a royal stables. Royal stables are a building that can be built in a node if elected to be built by the mayor and supported by the community building it up through the quests to do so; and castles come with a royal stable as well. So once you have a royal stable and you become that Mayor or King or Queen, you may then mount the creature there and then take it wherever you wish. – Steven Sharif
- Player ridden mounts.
- Mounts will have varied speeds.
- Flying automated creatures (Public transportation).
- Airships between scientific metropolises.
- Teleportation between scientific metropolises and their vassal nodes.
Even though there's not fast travel, there is faster travel. So you know mount ridden. There will be connection points between certain nodes via the use of like flying automated creatures that you can use. Stuff like that. – Steven Sharif
- Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means.
- Nothing in the cosmetic store will be pay to win.
I want to incentivize purchase in the cosmetic shop for sustainability of what expansions we have intended, since we are not a box cost. I want to incentivize purchase by offering limited items: limited time, limited quantity, so you have confidence that when you purchase them, they won't be offered later on in some other way. – Steven Sharif
- Skins are cosmetic items that do not grant the user any benefit.
- Skins are only be able to be applied to things that have already been earned, crafted or found within Ashes of Creation.
- Different variants of store purchased cosmetic creatures may exist in the wild.
- Flavor text relates to the lore and background of creatures and items in the world of Verra.
- Costumes and mounts may also be accessible in Ashes of Creation Apocalypse.
We plan to include a shop for micro transactions. The shop will only include cosmetic items. Nothing in our shop will ever be pay to win as we believe this practice greatly hurts the MMORPG genre.
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (34:08).
- Livestream, 30 September 2019 (1:39:01).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Livestream, 6 December 2018 (41:43).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (12:34).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (20:32).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (22:44).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (38:27).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (33:17).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Prowler of Perdition.
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (37:17).
- Livestream, 27 September 2019 (46:46).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (56:06).
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter - Over 9,500 Backers and Counting!!
- Leader of Men
- Wikipedia - Barding
- Livestream, 16 June 2017 (28:07).
- Blog: A noble steed
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (28:42).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (12:27).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (1:04:12).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (46:43).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (39:42).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (53:39).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:22:24).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (1:02:02).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Stables of the Oasis.
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (24:48).
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Ashes of Creation cosmetic store.
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (58:29).
- Rime and Regal
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:25:55).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (32:36).