- Mounts can also be found in the wild and tamed.
- Cosmetic skins can be applied to the appearance of mounts that were earned in game.
- Mounts will be purchasable from players utilizing Animal husbandry and taming.
- 1 Summoning mounts
- 2 Land mounts
- 3 Flying mounts (Royal mounts)
- 4 Gliding mounts
- 5 Aquatic mounts
- 6 Crowdfunding mounts
- 7 Racial mounts
- 8 Group mounts
- 9 Temporary mounts
- 10 Naming mounts
- 11 Mounted combat
- 12 Animal husbandry
- 13 Stables
- 14 See also
- 15 References
Flying mounts (Royal mounts)
- If dropped from World bosses, royal mounts will have a life-span likely between two weeks and four weeks, after which the mounts will pass away.
Generally flying is not something that we're going to be doing in this game and there's a lot of reasons for that: Some of it is economic, some of it is ... you create this really great looking world and we don't want you flying over all the time. – Jeffrey Bard
Dragons are a class of these royal mounts. You can get different types of royal mounts. They don't have to be dragons. They could be some other type of legendary mythical creature... It will be an epic looking large-scale creature and people will notice you and it while you are approaching. – Steven Sharif
- Basic mounts are obtained through an early quest that is available to all players in starting areas.
- Players assign cosmetic skins to a character on their account from the account management page.
- The skin can then be applied the appearance of the mount that was earned in game.
- This does not remove the skin itself. It can be applied again to any other applicable mount in the future.
- Players may remove the skin from a character and assign it to another character on their account.
- Skins can only ever be active on one character and one mount.
The Dawnbreaker mount skin is used in a similar fashion as described, but is only applicable to a certain class of mounts. Aquatic mount skins, like the Tidesnapper, are also used in a similar fashion, but are only applicable to the aquatic class of mounts.
- Players can't use their class skills while mounted.
- Mounts can be killed by players, but can be resurrected.
The dragon will have a lot of capability in PvP. It's primarily its purpose, because as it relates to Castles and the sieges they're in, or Nodes and the sieges they're in. We want dragons to have large scale ramifications against player raids. – Steven Sharif
- Animal husbandry will be an exploritative profession.
Tamable creatures may fit creature templates with pre-defined behaviors.
- For example: A wolf or a dog may look different but may be balanced to the same templated behavior.
- Rare creatures can be captured and tamed to breed animals with specific traits.
- Special mounts such as Dragons are not breedable.
- Breeding will change the stats of the mount that is being bred.
- There is a form of genetics, but it won't be complex. Genetic lines react to the type of mount or creature that has been captured or tamed.
Animal husbandry involves a tree of its own that players get to discover via what pairings they choose... That's going to be a pretty fun aspect of creating rare mounts that haven't been seen in the world. – Steven Sharif
There are stages of development within breeding.
- Youngling stage: For mammals this relates to baby animals. For lizards (reptiles) this is an egg stage.
There may be a modified character creation system to accommodate customization of Summoner pets and Animal husbandry during the Youngling stage. This affects the appearance of the animal at adulthood.
- During the Youngling stage there may also be quests for specific types of cosmetic features.
- This is not a confirmed feature.
There is a compendium of acceptable parameters for breeding, which isn't going to be known until players discover it.
- This discovery may be different for different players.
- Trial and error and exploration and discovery of certain breeding habits and different quests may grant access to slots in the compendium.
- This may grant access to specific types of mounts.
The royal mounts will be the only class of mounts that can fully fly in the world; and they are will be needed to be mounted while in a royal stables. Royal stables are a building that can be built in a node if elected to be built by the mayor and supported by the community building it up through the quests to do so; and castles come with a royal stable as well. So once you have a royal stable and you become that Mayor or King or Queen, you may then mount the creature there and then take it wherever you wish. Will there be a flight timer associated with it? There will be a flight time associate with it, but the flight time will be considerable. We're thinking probably between 20 and 30 minutes. So will that limit the range of effectiveness? Yes it will limit the range of effectiveness for that particular mount. But it will be an epic looking large-scale creature and people will notice you and it while you are approaching. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (34:08).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (12:34).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (20:32).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (33:17).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (37:17).
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter - Over 9,500 Backers and Counting!!
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (22:44).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (38:27).
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (33:07).
- Livestream, 16 June 2017 (28:07).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (28:42).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (1:04:12).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (46:43).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (39:42).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (53:39).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:22:24).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (1:02:02).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (32:44).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.