- Combat pets will not increase a player's power and will require a sacrifice from the player.
- Combat pets will have a horizontal progression, not a vertical one.
- Combat pets will incorporate some of their owner's power in a way that keeps the power progression horizontal.
- Rare creatures can be captured and tamed to breed animals with specific traits.
- Special mounts such as Dragons are not breedable.
- Breeding will change the stats of the mount that is being bred.
- There is a form of genetics, but it won't be complex. Genetic lines react to the type of mount or creature that has been captured or tamed.
Animal husbandry involves a tree of its own that players get to discover via what pairings they choose... That's going to be a pretty fun aspect of creating rare mounts that haven't been seen in the world. – Steven Sharif
There are stages of development within breeding.
- Youngling stage: For mammals this relates to baby animals. For lizards (reptiles) this is an egg stage.
- Changes at the Youngling stage affect the appearance of the animal at adulthood.
- During the Youngling stage there may also be quests for specific types of cosmetic features.
There is a compendium of acceptable parameters for breeding, which isn't going to be known until players discover it.
- This discovery may be different for different players.
- Trial and error and exploration and discovery of certain breeding habits and different quests may grant access to slots in the compendium.
- Skins are only be able to be applied to things that have already been earned, crafted or found within Ashes of Creation.
- Different variants of store purchased cosmetic creatures may exist in the wild.
- Flavor text relates to the lore and background of creatures and items in the world of Verra.
- Costumes and mounts may also be accessible in Ashes of Creation Apocalypse.
We plan to include a shop for micro transactions. The shop will only include cosmetic items. Nothing in our shop will ever be pay to win as we believe this practice greatly hurts the MMORPG genre.
The cosmetic store will offer limited time, limited quantity items to help sustain game development.
- Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means.
I want to incentivize purchase in the cosmetic shop for sustainability of what expansions we have intended, since we are not a box cost. I want to incentivize purchase by offering limited items: limited time, limited quantity, so you have confidence that when you purchase them, they won't be offered later on in some other way. – Steven Sharif
List of pets
- Blog: A Fell Venture.
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (25:58).
- Livestream, 16 June 2017 (40:45).
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (33:09).
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:24:27).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (12:27).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (1:04:12).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (46:43).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (39:42).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (53:39).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (28:42).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (12:34).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:22:24).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (1:02:02).
- Ashes of Creation cosmetic store.
- Rime and Regal
- Livestream, 6 December 2018 (41:43).
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:25:55).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (32:36).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (58:29).