- Animals can be found in herds across the lands of Verra that represent a gatherable resource.
- Genetic lines react to the type of mount or creature that has been captured or tamed.
- Combat proficiency may be required in order to tame wild beasts.
- Geographical location may be relevant for the creation of certain types of breeds.
One of the big components of Animal Husbandry is going to be taming. We talk about our Artisan system and you guys know this it exists within three main branches of Gathering, Processing, and Crafting. Now of course let me caveat this: anything I say here is subject to change, but with that being said, taming is one of the Gathering professions that players will be able to use to both locate, capture, and tame wild creatures in Verra. Tamed creatures can then be trained and bred- refined with the Animal husbandry profession. – Steven Sharif
- For example: A wolf or a dog may look different but may be balanced to the same templated behavior.
- Animals found through taming can be bred to discover lesser-known species variants with untold powers and abilities.
- Stables are freehold buildings used for breeding animals within the Animal husbandry profession.
- Animal husbandry will be an exploritative profession.
Many animals that can be tamed and bred through the animal husbandry profession can be found in herds across the lands of Verra. These herds represent a gatherable resource, of sorts, that masters of the animal husbandry profession may then use to discover lesser-known species variants with untold powers and abilities. Mounts play a large role in Ashes of Creation, and animals like the horse are an early gateway into the unlimited possibilities that await those skilled in the arts of husbandry.
- Creatures can be captured and tamed to breed animals with specific genetic traits.
- Pets, Mounts, Livestock, and Beasts of burden have unique traits that can be bred to obtain the best version of that species.
- Geographical location may be relevant for the creation of certain types of breeds.
- Creatures will have a wide variety of traits and characteristics, strengths and weaknesses, within their species. The best version of a species will need to be blended from creatures from many places across Verra... For example, the best horse would need speed from desert horses, the coat and the health from tundra steeds, and the size and strength of ones that might be in the riverlands. – Steven Sharif
- Royal mounts (such as Dragons) are dropped as eggs that can be cultivated by Animal husbandry artisans with a high enough stable upgrade on their freehold.
- These mounts are not breedable.
- Mounts that are bred through animal husbandry may be sold at auction.
Once an animal is born, there are stages of development to raise that animal from birth to adulthood. Animal husbandry practitioners will be able to specialise their focus into raising and training creatures to maximise the quality of the creature in adulthood.
- Youngling stage: For mammals this relates to baby animals. For lizards (reptiles) this is an egg stage.
Once these creatures are actually born there is an element of raising the creature. So animals need to be raised from birth to adulthood and trained for the intended purposes, either as a mount, a pet, a beast of burden, or livestock. Animal husbandry feeds a lot of these different aspects; and you'll be able to specialize your focus as an 'animal husbandrist', if that's a word, to one of those particular ends. Players have a multitude of activities to perform like feeding, cleaning the creatures, taking them out for practice rides, training them to fight monsters, etc. This period is very important however- the training period- because it will have the greatest influence on the resulting quality of the genetically determined stats and abilities of the creature once they reach adulthood. So basically as you're discovering these different genetic paths when pairing different animals, and the offspring is born, it will have a window of where a stat block will land. But where it lands will be determined by the training phase by raising the creature up- and that's going to be an important aspect. – Steven Sharif
- I'm not sure that there are going to be recipes per-se. Instead what we're thinking about with the husbandry system is going to be a user interface panel that gives a record of your successes and failures with certain types of breeding attempts; and then from there, if you choose to share that information with other individuals you can of course. But it's not something that's going to be streamlined through an interface that we would use for the player. – Steven Sharif
- Animals have a unique ID that is tied to the husbandry chart (compendium) that takes into account possible combinations between animals. There will be odd combinations, but there will be limits to what is possible.
- Discovery of certain breeding habits and different quests may grant access to slots in the compendium.
- Changes at the Youngling stage affect the appearance of the animal at adulthood.
- During the Youngling stage there may also be quests for specific types of cosmetic features.
- There will be a multitude of traits that breeders can bring forward in a particular mount or pet.
- The genetic system will involve trial and error to determine what yields or combinations are possible. Like real-world genetics this will incorporate an element of RNG.
- You'll be able to breed creatures, study the offspring, and make informed decisions when the features you want to pursue in the next generation become apparent in you in the offspring you've created. – Steven Sharif
- There are elements of recessive and dominant genes; and the discovery of certain types of characteristics that mounts you breed will have based on that RHG element. You can increase the chances there based on proficiency. You can also increase the chances based on method, based on resources, so it's not something that is a pie in the sky RNG number, but rather something that you can hone over time. – Steven Sharif
- A dominant genetic trait might be discovered with a pairing or there may be a much smaller chance to unlock a specific breed or even an entirely new species.
- These chances are improved based on the player's progression within the animal husbandry profession.
- Powerful traits will be hidden in rare spawns and through rare mutations.
- Mounts can also be found in the wild and tamed.
- There are three different tiers of mount.
- Different tier mounts have different abilities that are unique to that tier. These may provide horizontal or vertical power gains.
- Mount speeds are determined by the base mount that the skin is applied to.
- Mount skins can be applied to the appearance of mounts that were earned in game. These are applicable to specific classes (tiers) of mounts.
- For example, the Ramstrider skin will only be applicable to the class of land mounts (tier 1), and the Nighthunter Gryphon skin is only applicable to the class of royal mounts (tier 3).
- Certain tier 2 mount skins (such as the Emberstorm Dragon) can be upgraded to tier 3 skins if they also apply to royal mounts.
- Mounts will be purchasable from players utilizing Animal husbandry and taming.
- Fall damage that occurs while mounted will be first applied to the mount; and if the mount dies as a result, then the remaining damage may overflow onto the player, but this will be determined based on testing.
- There may be emotes associated with mounts and pets, such as petting, hugging, or playing with them.
- Aquatic mounts are faster in water and slower on land.
- Aquatic mounts will be able to fully traverse naval areas and water areas.
- Mounts will have skills that relate to fishing in some way shape or form, least the water mounts. Whether that be getting out to a particular area, whether it be like some type of fish finding or chumming the area. There could even be benefits while fishing in the water while mounted, like, you're on the back of your turtle out there just sitting in the water casting your rod, or your line. – Steven Sharif
- Combat pets have a horizontal progression, not a vertical one. Unlike Summoner summons, combat pets do not increase a player's power, but instead require a sacrifice from the player.
- Combat pets may be tamed from certain creatures in the world.
- Combat pets are categorized by class and will adhere to a simple trinity structure (Tank/DPS/Support).
- Combat pets will also be categorized into different rarities.
- Combat pets may not be able to be summoned in certain dungeons, instances or other spaces.
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (33:07).
- Livestream, 25 February 2022 (25:24s).
- Blog: A noble steed
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (28:42).
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (33:09).
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (34:08).
- Livestream, 29 October 2021 (30:34).
- Livestream, 29 October 2021 (37:34).
- Livestream, 30 April 2021 (56:43).
- Steven Sharif Twitter, April 17, 2021.
- Podcast, 15 November 2020 (35:42).
- Livestream, 16 June 2017 (28:07).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (39:02).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (33:17).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (12:27).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (1:04:12).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (49:46).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (46:43).
- Livestream, 29 May 2020 (43:19).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:22:24).
- Livestream, 25 February 2022 (34:00s).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (1:02:02).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (12:34).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (39:42).
- Interview, 7 February 2021 (39:30).
- Livestream, 25 February 2022 (33:05s).
- Livestream, 30 September 2019 (1:39:01).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Livestream, 29 April 2022 (1:11:24).
- Video, 30 September 2020 (6:38).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (57:50).
- Livestream, 6 December 2018 (41:43).
- Livestream, 29 October 2021 (51:48:).
- Livestream, 25 February 2022 (1:06:45s).
- Livestream, 29 April 2022 (1:04:52).
- Video, 30 September 2020 (8:32).
- Ashes of Creation Twitter: Travel with an aquatic mount.
- Livestream, 30 September 2020 (16:31).
- Livestream, 31 March 2022 (1:22:01).
- Interview, 14 January 2022 (42:18).
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (1:21:14).
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:24:27).
- Livestream, 30 April 2021 (1:10:04).