- Weather conditions change with the Seasons.
- There will be dynamic weather that varies in intensity.
- For example: Drizzle to/from storm, or Blizzard to/from snow.
In Ashes of Creation the world will change on a regular basis. Zones will progress in a seasonal cycle, which will alter the very nature of the environment around you. Snow may block pathways that are accessible in warmer months, spring may encourage creatures otherwise unseen to come to the surface, and fall might be the only time that certain crops thrive. This cycle can then take in the state of the world’s Nodes and shift depending on their progression.
- There will be regions of the map with seasons that are less (or more) temperate.
- For example: Northern, Southern and Tropical regions.
- There will also be magical seasons where you might be in a tropical zone and suddenly it's snowing.
- Different crop cycles.
- Pathways that are open during summer and closed during winter.
- Water turning to ice in winter, enabling players to walk over the water but blocking access to what is underneath.
- Certain Events can bring seasonal weather changes.
- Elements may have more influence in certain seasons and environments. For example, frost abilities may be stronger in winter.
- This affects both PvE and PvP.
We've discussed a little bit about how the seasons and biomes will react with different types of skills. Like if you have a fireball and it's summer it might be a little bit different. If it's winter and you have a frost ability it might be different. – Steven Sharif
The idea behind magic is you're manipulating the elements. They don't just have to be fire, ice, water and air. They can be darkness, they can be light, they can be planar; a lot of different types of "elemental influences". But, say for instance, I am a Ranger that has a Charge bolt ability as my primary active skill and I've chosen Mage as my secondary and applied the elemental to it. I now have a Frost charge bolt, and if I fire that frostbolt and hit a target, they may be freezing for a period of time as a debuff and that might slow their speed. If a wizard applies a nuke on a target and that nuke is a frost-based nuke, those two stacking elements might then either further snare (slow the target) or paralyze and freeze the target. So, there are combination out effects that build up: A primary, secondary and some ancillary effect occurs when those are combined. – Steven Sharif
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Arch lightning||Launch a bolt of lightning in a forward line, damaging all within its path.||Adds damage over time to targets hit.||Chains to nearby enemies that are not hit. Anyone who is outside the line has a chance to get a bolt jump to them.|
|Chain Lightning||Activate to charge your attacks with lightning - each hit can then arc between foes, dealing damage to each one.
|Elemental (passive)||Increases to elemental damage. The more the mage changes their element type the more damage is done.||-||-|
|Fire Potion||Generates a fire explosion.||-||-|
|Flame line||Shoot an arrow that leaves behind a trail of flames.||Arrow explodes upon reaching the end of its distance.||Enemies take burning damage for entering the flames.|
|Frost Potion||Swap your explosive potion for a potion of frost. It will burst on the first bounce, leaving an area of bitter cold that slows your enemies.
|Ice prison||Target an enemy and summon a prison of ice around them, paralyzing them.||Adds damage over time.||Snares after root breaks.|
|Ice sheet||Creates an area where enemies are knocked down.||Snares two targets in area.||Increases size and duration.|
|Implosion||Launch a powerful burst of fire (fireball) against a single target.||Becomes a burn (damage over time).||Area of effect around the target.|
|Quake||If your focus is at 80%, cast this spell to split the earth itself before you, launching a line of AoE damage.||Knock down those hit by your arcane might.||Reduces focus cost and cooldown for the skill.|
- Different monsters will spawn at different times.
- NPCs and mobs may be awake at different times of the day.
- Different emissive effects may be more prevalent on night creatures.
Fifteen minutes may be one hour in game time.
How deeply we take this though is really going to come down to how much fun it actually is, which we’re still in the process of discovering. As long as we can nail some interesting mechanics, and it’s not more frustrating than fun, make sure you bring your torch.
- Video, 30 May 2017 (0:01).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (36:47).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (41:25).
- Video, 22 January 2017 (0:02).
- Our immersive world - Environments.
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (20:27).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (41:33).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (27:47).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (20:23).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (26:19).
- PAX West 2017 Mage poster.
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (39:15).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (43:53).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (7:49).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (46:52).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (39:02).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (42:08).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (38:35).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (40:14).
- Ashes of Creation - Screenshots.
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (57:41).
- Video, 7 February 2017 (0:02s).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.