- Weather conditions change with the Seasons.
- There will be dynamic weather that varies in intensity.
- For example: Drizzle to/from storm, or Blizzard to/from snow.
In Ashes of Creation the world will change on a regular basis. Zones will progress in a seasonal cycle, which will alter the very nature of the environment around you. Snow may block pathways that are accessible in warmer months, spring may encourage creatures otherwise unseen to come to the surface, and fall might be the only time that certain crops thrive. This cycle can then take in the state of the world’s Nodes and shift depending on their progression.
- There will be regions of the map with seasons that are less (or more) temperate.
- For example: Northern, Southern and Tropical regions.
- There will also be magical seasons where you might be in a tropical zone and suddenly it's snowing.
- Different crop cycles.
- Pathways that are open during summer and closed during winter.
- Water turning to ice in winter, enabling players to walk over the water but blocking access to what is underneath.
- Ice will make roads bumpy and slippery.
- Certain events can bring seasonal weather changes.
- Items, crops, buildings, and crafting mechanics might gain certain buffs or debuffs in certain seasons.
- For example, a frost cloak may gain a passive bonus in the winter.
- Elements may have more influence in certain seasons and environments. For example, frost abilities may be stronger in winter.
- This affects both PvE and PvP.
We've discussed a little bit about how the seasons and biomes will react with different types of skills. Like if you have a fireball and it's summer it might be a little bit different. If it's winter and you have a frost ability it might be different. – Steven Sharif
- Different monsters will spawn at different times.
- NPCs and mobs may be awake at different times of the day.
- Different emissive effects may be more prevalent on night creatures.
Fifteen minutes may be one hour in game time.
How deeply we take this though is really going to come down to how much fun it actually is, which we’re still in the process of discovering. As long as we can nail some interesting mechanics, and it’s not more frustrating than fun, make sure you bring your torch.
- Video, 30 May 2017 (0:01).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (36:47).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (41:25).
- Video, 22 January 2017 (0:02).
- Ashes of Creation Facebook. March 19, 2020.
- Our immersive world - Environments.
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (20:27).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (41:33).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (1:32:40).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (27:47).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (20:23).
- Ashes of Creation - Screenshots.
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (57:41).
- Video, 7 February 2017 (0:02s).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (42:55).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (1:02:49).