- Physical attack.
- Magical attack.
- Block percentage.
- Critical hit.
- The race "seeds" a player's base stats.
- The primary archetype grows the base stats.
- The secondary archetype (class) further grows the stats.
Different races have different stat compositions. Those stats can be important, but we also don't want them to dictate any kind of meta for what classes are best used with different races. – Steven Sharif
Stats on gear
We don't see the need to have these enormous numbers that are really start to lose meaning. That seems to be an innate design issue with other games as they try to balance the damage output in PvP and in PvE; but our design system allows for a more manageable damage protocol for PvE and PvP to be shared; and those damage protocols relate more to lower numbers. – Steven Sharif
- Elements may have more influence in certain seasons and environments. For example, frost abilities may be stronger in winter.
- This affects both PvE and PvP.
We've discussed a little bit about how the seasons and biomes will react with different types of skills. Like if you have a fireball and it's summer it might be a little bit different. If it's winter and you have a frost ability it might be different. – Steven Sharif
The idea behind magic is you're manipulating the elements. They don't just have to be fire, ice, water and air. They can be darkness, they can be light, they can be planar; a lot of different types of "elemental influences". But, say for instance, I am a Ranger that has a Charge bolt ability as my primary active skill and I've chosen Mage as my secondary and applied the elemental to it. I now have a Frost charge bolt, and if I fire that frostbolt and hit a target, they may be freezing for a period of time as a debuff and that might slow their speed. If a wizard applies a nuke on a target and that nuke is a frost-based nuke, those two stacking elements might then either further snare (slow the target) or paralyze and freeze the target. So, there are combination out effects that build up: A primary, secondary and some ancillary effect occurs when those are combined. – Steven Sharif
|Skill||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Arch lightning||Launch a bolt of lightning in a forward line, damaging all within its path.||Adds damage over time to targets hit.||Chains to nearby enemies that are not hit. Anyone who is outside the line has a chance to get a bolt jump to them.|
|Elemental (passive)||Increases to elemental damage. The more the mage changes their element type the more damage is done.||-||-|
|Flame line||Shoot an arrow that leaves behind a trail of flames.||Arrow explodes upon reaching the end of its distance.||Enemies take burning damage for entering the flames.|
|Ice prison||Target an enemy and summon a prison of ice around them, paralyzing them.||Adds damage over time.||Snares after root breaks.|
|Ice sheet||Creates an area where enemies are knocked down.||Snares two targets in area.||Increases size and duration.|
|Implosion||Launch a powerful burst of fire (fireball) against a single target.||Becomes a burn (damage over time).||Area of effect around the target.|
|Quake||If your focus is at 80%, cast this spell to split the earth itself before you, launching a line of AoE damage.||Knock down those hit by your arcane might.||Reduces focus cost and cooldown for the skill.|
We like to really refer to ourselves as a PvX game, because in those systems of PvP, PvE, crafting they're all intertwined: They're interdependent on each other... Our system of development really requires some interdependence there between those things. You're going to need a crafter to give you the best items. You're going to need PvPers to secure cities and castles. You're gonna need PvErs to take down those world bosses for those materials to craft. – Steven Sharif
- There is a balance between PvP and PvE in Ashes of Creation.
- Some servers may be more PvP focused than others.
- There will not be different PvP and PvE gear types.
- Progression in the game might require PvE elements.
- All stats relate to a player's combat effectiveness in PvX.
We're very clear with our objective and philosophy on the game and we understand that they may not appeal to everybody. But you know it is an important reciprocal relationship between the content that's related to PvE and the content that's related to PvP and they feed off of each other. They're catalysts for change: Their progression, their development. It's things that people can value when they see something earned and they see something lost. That elicits an emotional response from the player: That they've invested time in to either succeed or fail; and PvP allows for that element to be introduced into gameplay. And we're very clear that is our objective: That risk versus reward relationship, that achievement-based mentality. Not everybody's going to be a winner and that's okay. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, 30 May 2017 (16:25).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (35:58).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (AM) (25:52).
- Livestream, 18 July 2017 (37:25).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (59:58).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (1:45).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (27:47).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (20:23).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (26:19).
- PAX West 2017 Mage poster.
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (39:15).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (43:53).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (46:52).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (39:02).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (42:08).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (38:35).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (40:14).
- Video, 16 April 2018 (1:32).
- PvX definition.
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (24:52).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (33:25).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (14:05).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (37:39).