Naval combat involves different types of Ships with varying capabilities, armaments and roles to play out on the high seas. There will be a balance and counterbalance between ships from PvP and PvE perspectives.
Guns and gunpowder
As we said in the past, were not really about that black powder life. Instead it's really going to be focused on the arcane arts: The elements; the use of radiance and darkness; and then those being employed in larger weaponry, such as the type of siege weaponry between ship battles as well as those and sieges. A potion launcher is an example of the arcane energies that can be mastered in order to facilitate these highly destructive alchemical blends that can be created. – Steven Sharif
|Medium||Group content||Group size (8)|
|Large||Raid content||Raid size (40)|
Sailing will be pretty in-depth and it's going to be based on the size of the ship that you're using. So there will be components for seamanship that other players you will need to have on board if you want to operate a vessel to the best of it's abilities: Let's say in combat or traversing just the world. – Steven Sharif
The prevailing thought among the developers is that ship navigation may be through the use of a spyglass that gives direction and skims the horizon, as opposed to "radar" navigation.
- Ships may be able to be summoned in rivers (or other bodies of water) depending on the depth of the water.
You can summon your ships up but you'll need to summon them from land, which means that if something happens to your armada out at sea you won't have backups to just summon immediately in the middle of the fight... They'll have to do so from shore somewhere from some port or harbor. – Steven Sharif
- Speed, Hit points, and Damage abilities.
- Aesthetic customization.
I mean traditionally if we did not use dynamic destruction, that what we would use is decals to simulate damage on the ship based on an overall hit point value. At certain hit point values we would swap out the mesh to show a more destructive state potentially; and that and you know at that point for a user in regards to immersion you know both are very similar from the immersion factor right? – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (47:53).
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:12:08).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (54:02).
- Livestream, 16 June 2017 (43:01).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (17:57).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Tea transport.
- Livestream, 31 October 2018 (54:21).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (11:51).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (50:45).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (36:29).
- Livestream, 26 July 2019 (1:07:22).