Leaders of guilds that occupy guild castles are referred to as Kings and Queens.
- A King or Queen may also be elected mayor of one node.
Guild leadership tools
The developers are considering a number of leadership tools for guilds:
- Recruitment tools.
- Management tools.
- Delegation tools.
- Motivational systems.
- Communication tools.
- Audit logs may be available to guild leaders and officers.
- Guild stats.
- Information about guild membership, such as archetype and class makeup will be made available.
- Access to guild stats is subject a permissions structure.
For me personally, being a guild leader of a very large guild in the past, these types of administrative functions are life savers for guild leaders... Guild leaders are a very important part of the community for MMORPGs in general and the reason for that is- think of it like a queen on the board- "I bring order to chaos". To a degree, guild leaders are that order to the chaos. They help organize- they do so through lieutenants- they delegate responsibilities. There are good leaders, there are bad leaders, but essentially it's a highly social environment and if you can find a good guild and that guild is augmented with complimentary services from the company, from the game itself, it just makes that life easier and allows them to execute better. So in my opinion that is an important aspect. – Steven Sharif
Guild benefits that are being considered by the developers:
- Gear enhancements.
- Guild halls.
- Guild castles.
- Guild activities.
- Name of guild displayed next to character name.
- Guild tabards.
- Guild mounts.
- Guild coats.
- Guild barding.
The guild leader of a castle can grant the use of flying undermounts (such as wyrmlings) to guild officers during a castle siege.
- These may only be granted if the castle nodes are successfully established prior to the siege.
- Node A grants 1 undermount, Node B grants 2 undermounts, and Node C grants 2 undermounts.
- This system is subject to change during testing.
Little wyrmlings that you can grant to officers if you're a castle owner, and they can fly around too. – Steven Sharif
Guild progression occurs through participation in different systems.
Guild progression grants skill points that the guild can allocate to unlock aspects of their skill tree, such as passive skills, augments and membership count.
- Passive abilities increase certain stats relating to a guild member's ability to perform in combat or in other aspects of the guild, such as the economy.
- Augments may apply at the upper tiers of guild progression.
- Guild members do not need to be citizens of the same node in order to benefit from passive skills and augments.
- Guild size can be traded off for guild progression.
- The higher the guild's member cap, the fewer available skill options will be available to that guild.
- Guild alliances may be a key part in creating a larger "guild".
- Guild halls can be unlocked at a certain stage of guild advancement.
- Guilds cannot respec their skill points once allocated. This is subject to testing.
- It's not always going to be combat. You could have an economic focus guild. You could have a trade oriented guild; and there's all sorts of things that you can kind of put together and kind of give your guild its own identity. – Jeffrey Bard
Gear enhancements (power stones/runes) can be applied to weapons to add elemental or energy types of damage.
- Gear enhancements do not increase an item's level requirement.
We are very likely going to have a rune system and then we'll have the ability to sort of enchant weapons outside of that too... That's not always going to be like a vertical progression... Some of it's going to be giving up something to get something else; so maybe I do less physical damage but more magical damage, that kind of thing. – Jeffrey Bard
- Progression in various PvP systems will unlock enchantment stones that grant temporary PvP-focused benefits to gear (via a socketing system). Performance is measured over six month PvP seasons.
It's not as though you're going to necessarily acquire these once and then you're set for your PvP enchantments, but instead you'll have to continually perform month after month in order to keep having those slotted enchantments. – Steven Sharif
A character may only be a member of a single guild.
- Alts on the same account can join different guilds.
- Intrigue, espionage and intelligence gathering is a legitimate aspect of the game.
- A guild may only have a single guild leader.
- Transfer of guild leadership is possible, but mechanics on transferring leadership if a guild leader has abandoned the guild have not been finalized.
- Guild masters can issue payouts to guild members.
Characters may be invited to join a guild from anywhere on Verra.
- Invites can be done through the guild UI.
- There will also be a guild invite chat command.
Server reservations allow guild members as well as unaffiliated players to reserve character slots on a server starting in the Beta testing stages of the game.
This would likely be utilized more so by guilds than that would be solo or unaffiliated players; and I believe that the solo player they may have friends that they want to play with. That's fine, they can also still with those friends do the reservation system, but the player who is just joining the game fresh and doesn't have a community that they're part of, I don't think they really mind in that regard and will not utilize that system. – Steven Sharif
Guild halls serve as a focal point for a guild, offering a host of benefits and customization options.
- Guild halls may be placed on guild freeholds or within nodes.
- In-node guild halls may only be claimed by patron guilds of that node. These have different perks and benefits to halls placed on freehold plots.
- When a guild reaches a certain level, its guild master is granted a guild freehold certificate to enable placement of a guild hall.
- Guild halls are objectives in guild wars.
- Guild halls can only be destroyed by a successful node siege. This contrasts with guild fortresses, which can be sieged in a guild war.
- A guild hall only houses a single guild.
Guildhalls are the ultimate expression of a guild's power! In Ashes these structures will serve as focal points for a guild, offering any guilds who construct them a whole host of benefits as well as customization options.
When a guild reaches a certain level, its guild master is granted a guild freehold certificate to enable placement of a guild hall.
- Some freehold cosmetics may be applicable to guild freeholds.
Guild halls unlock actions a guild can perform within a node.
- Allow guilds to participate in the shareholder system.
Five guild castles exist in Ashes of Creation.
- Castle sieges occur in the open world but may become instanced based on testing.
- There is one castle located on an island that is able to be affected by naval combat.
- Castles will initially be occupied by an NPC adversary. These are the primary antagonists in the storyline.
- These Castles are occupied when players arrive on Verra, and their current inhabitants will have to be removed before any player can claim them. Castles will be dangerous and high-level raid zones until they can be cleared, and the first group of players to do so will gain the Castle as their reward.
- Guilds have a period of time to level up in order to siege these castles.
- The attacking guilds need to fight the NPCs and kill a raid boss at the center of the castle.
- There will not be a relic to capture, instead whichever guild had highest contributing DPS against the raid boss will capture the castle.
- Castle nodes around NPC run castles will not be present.
Guild castles provide benefits and trophies for guilds that capture and control them.
- These benefits increase the longer a guild holds its castle.
There are levers and dials that are present to both the owners of Castles as well as the elected officials of Nodes that during their administration they have the ability to impact and influence the region around them. – Steven Sharif
Guild castles exert a King or Queen's presence over nodes within their region.
- Levy taxes for the purposes of defense (additional to taxes already imposed by node governments).
- Activate events and abilities that benefit node citizens under their rule.
- Establish special relationships with Mayors to help build up the three dedicated castle nodes.
- Unlock additional types of buildings in nodes.
- Exert control and pressure over one of the five economic regions.
Guilds participate in Castle sieges in an effort to capture and occupy one of the five guild castles in Ashes of Creation.
- The minimum goal is for 250x250 players to be on a single battlefield. It is hoped that this can be increased to 500x500 over time.
- There will be systems that mimic some of the mechanics of sieges, but there won't be practice sieges.
- There may be instanced locations within otherwise open-world castle and node sieges, where specific groups can participate in small, short duration objective-based battles that will affect the overall outcome of the siege.
A guild that captures a castle will own that castle for a month before it is sieged again.
- Each week leading up to the siege week... is a week that's dedicated to one of the three castle dedicated nodes. So around the castle there are three nodes. They represent week, one, two, and three; and then the fourth week is the siege against the castle. Those can only be elevated up to stage three. We've discussed this in the past and there's definitely information out there on the community ran wiki. – Steven Sharif
- In the first three weeks that a guild occupies a castle they will need to level up each of their castle nodes to Village stage through questing.
- The fourth week is declaration week, where other guilds have the opportunity to lay down their declaration flag or to sign up as a defender of the castle.
- Depending on how well the guild defends their castle nodes results in better defenses for the castle.
- Different siege weaponry will grant the attackers the ability to destroy walls, doors and sections of the castle in order to gain access to the inner keep area.
- When castles change hands (following a siege), some taxes stay with the castle and some stay with the guild.
- There will be benefits to attracting people... even if they're not in your guild or alliance – kind of a feudal like system, where you can attract other players who are just independent of this whole politic. They will have things to do there - benefits to receive - and there will be a reciprocal relationship between who you can attract, what they do for you; and how that benefits you and them. – Steven Sharif
Alpha-1 castle sieges
Alpha-1 castle sieges are based on Ashes of Creation Apocalypse castle sieges.
- Players will be able to join guilds. These guilds can register for the siege events.
- Castle siege events will be 100v100 battles that occur daily and will last for three hours.
- Attackers will start on the opposite end of the map (from the defenders).
- Attackers will be able to use trebuchets to drive to and assault the castle.
- When the attackers have breached the castle they will be able to channel a cast on the relic in the throne room to try to capture the castle from the defenders.
- The victors of castle sieges will receive benefits, such as cloaks, flying mounts for guild leaders and potentially also for guild officers.
- Alpha-1 castle sieges are in a separate zone that is accessible via a NPC teleporter.
- Currently the siege zone is actually in the open world, but separated by mountains and off in the sea a bit. There is actually no instancing in A1, although the siege zone will only be accessible in A1 through a registration NPC teleporter. – Steven Sharif
- This zone includes the following raid bosses.
- These bosses will also appear in the open-world (outside the siege zone) with slightly different mechanics.
- The opposing team is notified when these raid bosses are being attacked.
- Teams who get the last hit on these bosses will receive buffs that will help them in the siege battle.
Last year, I spoke of attempting to incorporate sieges into the Alpha One experience. This has obviously been a goal of mine because it provides considerable data and a consistent event within the world that players can participate in to help stress test the deployment. Well, I am happy to say that it is appearing more and more likely by the day! Initial implementation of the Apocalypse siege code has been migrated into the Alpha One client, and we should begin internal testing next month. I will caveat this expectation with the fact that we are cutting it a bit close from an internal QA standpoint, but I have some confidence that the system will be online and capable of inclusion for the Alpha One test in the month of June. The siege component will obviously not be representative of what the siege system will be at launch, or even in Alpha Two. – Steven Sharif
- Destructible structures (such as walls and gates) are present in Alpha-1 castle sieges.
- The ability to repair structures (and siege weapons) is a long term design goal that will not be present during Alpha-1.
- ↑ Video, May 28, 2021 (3:41).
- ↑ Livestream, May 26, 2017 (37:17).
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 4.16 Livestream, May 5, 2017 (31:08).
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 Livestream, May 19, 2017 (19:23).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Podcast, November 15, 2020 (52:50).
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Livestream, September 24, 2021 (1:24:16).
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 Livestream, September 30, 2020 (1:06:14).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Livestream, November 19, 2021 (52:35).
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5 Interview, July 18, 2020 (14:22).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 Livestream, May 22, 2017 (51:00).
- ↑ Livestream, September 27, 2019 (39:09).
- ↑ Interview, July 19, 2020 (1:05:41).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Livestream, July 26, 2019 (56:06).
- ↑ 16.0 16.1
- ↑ 17.0 17.1
- ↑ 18.00 18.01 18.02 18.03 18.04 18.05 18.06 18.07 18.08 18.09 18.10 18.11 Livestream, September 27, 2018 (55:39).
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 Livestream, May 19, 2017 (22:10).
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Interview, July 19, 2020 (36:07).
- ↑ Livestream, June 26, 2020 (1:31:53).
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Livestream, May 5, 2017 (23:26).
- ↑ Interview, August 8, 2018 (9:36).
- ↑ Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:11:13).
- ↑ Livestream, June 4, 2018 (1:11:19).
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 Livestream, June 4, 2018 (21:37).
- ↑ Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:15:57).
- ↑ Interview, July 18, 2020 (16:34).
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 30.2 Podcast, May 5, 2017 (47:20).
- ↑ Livestream, May 17, 2017 (58:18).
- ↑ Livestream, May 26, 2017 (47:35).
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 34.2 Livestream, December 22, 2020 (1:09:38).
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:06:43).
- ↑ 37.0 37.1
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 38.2 38.3 Interview, April 21, 2019 (45:45).
- ↑ Podcast, August 18, 2018 (1:12:34).
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 Livestream, February 28, 2020 (1:06:51).
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 Podcast, August 4, 2018 (1:54:15).
- ↑ Livestream, May 22, 2017 (56:48).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:14:12).
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 Livestream, May 19, 2017 (51:20).
- ↑ 46.0 46.1 46.2 46.3 46.4 46.5 46.6 46.7 46.8 Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:39:02).
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 47.2 47.3 Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 48.2
- ↑ 49.0 49.1 49.2 49.3 49.4 Podcast, April 11, 2021 (49:40).
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 50.2 50.3
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 51.2 51.3 Livestream, April 30, 2021 (41:18).
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 52.2 52.3 Blog: Creative Director's Letter, April 14 2021
- ↑ Livestream, October 14, 2022 (58:46).
- ↑ 55.0 55.1 55.2 55.3 55.4 55.5 55.6 55.7 55.8 55.9 Podcast, April 23, 2018 (21:55).
- ↑ 56.0 56.1 Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:31:11).
- ↑ Livestream, November 17, 2017 (49:30).
- ↑ 58.0 58.1 Interview, May 11, 2018 (47:27).
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 59.2 59.3 Podcast, May 5, 2017 (52:32).
- ↑ Video, May 28, 2021 (25:44).
- ↑ About Ashes of Creation.
- ↑ Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:12:14).
- ↑ Interview, July 29, 2020 (31:05).
- ↑ Interview, July 18, 2020 (13:13).
- ↑ Twitch Bustin - Practice Sieges?
- ↑ Livestream, January 28, 2022 (17:50).
- ↑ 68.0 68.1 68.2 68.3 Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:43:03).
- ↑ 69.0 69.1 Livestream, August 23, 2017 (23:00).
- ↑ Podcast, April 23, 2018 (15:14).
- ↑ Video, May 28, 2021 (24:44).
- ↑ 73.0 73.1 73.2 73.3 73.4 73.5 73.6 73.7 73.8 Video, April 30, 2021 (19:25).
- ↑ Video, May 28, 2021 (19:04).
- ↑ 75.0 75.1 75.2 75.3 Video, April 30, 2021 (13:02).
- ↑ 76.0 76.1 Livestream, May 28, 2021 (1:04:29).