The name of the Ashes of Creation world is Verra.
- Verra exists in the material plane.
- There are constellations and multiple moons in the night sky of Verra.
- Players start in Verra a few short months after the very first expeditionaries were sent through the divine gateways when they opened from Sanctus.
Verran continents and locations:
- The Dünzenkell Mountains.
- The Kaela Riverlands.
- The Jundark.
- The Sandsquall Desert.
- Draakath Bohr.
- The Frostgrave Fells.
The world of Verra is not flat, but it cannot be circumnavigated.
- The Verran planet is not flat. You may not see a curvature on the horizon in this, but from a lore perspective the universe in Verra does adhere to some basic physics and laws of physics that we experience in the real world, which means it is not flat. – Steven Sharif
- There will not be world wrapping in Ashes of Creation. – Steven Sharif
The story of creation tells us of a race of beings known as The Ancients. Created in the likeness of what was once The Ten. The Ten imbued all of their qualities into one race to have stewardship over all of creation. The power of the Ancients grew and a rift divided the Ten in how to accommodate their new creation. Three of the Ten separated from the others and began to teach the Ancients the Secrets of the Essence. When the Seven learned of this, a great celestial battle ensued. Eons passed and you watched as the fight continued within the celestial kingdom. Some say it was the fight that created the stars and heaven we see today. With every blow between the Ten a star was born. When the battle was complete, the others and the Ancients were banished by the Seven into the Void. The Seven found the error of their ways and decided to split their qualities into four races instead of one; and this is how the Humans, Elves, Orcs and Dwarves came to be. You watch as the Seven created Verra and placed each of the races within their respective locations. As the story came to an end, a dark figure at a distance grew closer to you. Until all you could see was the darkness. And you wake up in a sweat after a nightmare. – Steven Sharif
The Essence is a metaphysical energy or life-force (Chi) that can be manipulated to create what could be viewed as magic. There are different planes of existence (realms) with varying degrees of strength (of magic), determined by their proximity to the Essence. The planes of existence in Ashes of Creation are connected across bridges created by the Essence, referred to as Rivers of Essence.
- The higher up you go in these planes, the closer to the source of the Essence you really are. And that's where you can see stronger manifestations of the magical aspects of the Essence. – Steven Sharif
- Plane of the gods (Celestial plane). This is where the Gods exist, and is the most connected to the Essence.
- Ethereal plane.
- Material plane. This is where Verra exists.
- The Void is the plane that is the furthest from being connected to the Essence. Only a minute amount of essence can be found within the Void.
- There hasn't been a definitive understanding of how many planes of existence there are.
- The essence is a stream that exists across all planes of existence, but it exists at different levels of strength essentially at different levels that can be utilized; and the void is the furthest... There is a very minute amount of essence that can be found within the void. However the planes of existence that are in Ashes of Creation- they are connected across bridges created by the essence. So these ley-lines in a sense that exist within the different planes provide conduits of access and on Verra, which was a planet that was made after the ancient- the celestial battle. – Steven Sharif
Souls (also referred to as Mortal coils) are the conduits for The Essence to travel between the different planes of existence. This idea is an integral component of the broader features in the storyline.
- When you think about souls being a conduit, what are conduits used for? Conduits are passages: they're methods by which Essence can travel between realms, between planes. And there hasn't been any definitive understanding of just how many planes exist. We understand that there is a disparity between the planes when it comes to their connection to the Essence, and because Essence is so powerful; and it flows through these planes almost like a river. You can think that conduits help to maintain that flow and/or even exaggerate the flow; and there might be something at play, that I don't wanna touch necessarily, as to why one would want to create these types of conduits, these souls, this creation on the material plane: Something of significance. – Steven Sharif
- The Essence is so powerful it flows through the planes almost like a river. Soul conduits help to maintain or even exaggerate this flow.
- Souls acting as conduits is a very integral component of some broader features in the storyline. If you think about souls being a conduit for Essence and you think of the gods as masters of the Essence: If you think of the Essence being separate from the Gods- let's say they're parallel to each other- one didn't create the other, but they coexist in this almost symbiotic form with one another: almost to the point where their manipulation of the Essence is perfection: They can perfectly manipulate it and lesser beings- and I say 'lesser' in a sense of their alignment or closeness to Essence. They're still perfecting that manipulation and some never achieve perfection almost to the degree of ascendency or enlightenment- Essence being that sort of Chi that exists. In that regard, when a perfect being such as the gods- and I'm not saying 'perfect' as the correlation between sin and not sin, I'm thinking perfect in the sense of how you can control and manipulate the Essence: That control is perfection for them. – Steven Sharif
- The gods are masters of the Essence, but they are separate from it. One didn't create the other, but they exist together in a symbiotic form where the gods have achieved an almost perfect manipulation of the Essence and of "lesser beings" who exist further from the Essence.
- One of the great differentiators between mortal divine races and the gods is that aspect of mortality. And one of the ways that the divine races were created in order to interact with the Essence was through the use of a mortal coil; and that mortal coil was malleable. Your soul was malleable. It could change to adopt a greater connection with the Essence around one particular school of magic perhaps, or one type of magic that you might use Essence for. And the more you experienced that, the more adept you became with utilizing that magic. And that's because your coil would start to mold itself to best facilitate that flow of essence: whatever school of magic you were manipulating with it. – Steven Sharif
- King Atrax was the first ruler of Verra to discover the purpose of The Essence, allowing the manipulation of matter and exploitation of magic for any means.
- When you have the story of the original Ancients, the predecessor race to the divine races, their coil began to warp and change to best facilitate Essence through the use of corruption and corrupt magic, because it was in their history that they learned the most powerful use- or at least what they believed was the most powerful use of Essence was, through corrupt magic. And that's what allured them towards it. So to give you better context about why that conduit is so important is as your base character, as your core archetype continually learns and manifests things in the world of Verra through the use of the Essence. It will continue to shape and change its conduit towards that purpose. – Steven Sharif
- Now, how does the soul act as a conduit to the other races, to the other realms? Remember, that Essence is like a river that flows through the plains; and when it touches mortal coils that use it in a certain way, it has reverberations throughout the river that is felt across the plains. And that's how important the divine races are when it comes to the war over their soul, so to speak, is what impact it has across the universe. – Steven Sharif
- During the Apocalypse, The Ancients created monstrosities and perverted nature with corruption, which is the negative aspect of The Essence.
- Shape-shifting (changeling) is done so through the Essence by focusing on that specific type of magic.
As characters enter into the world of Verra they are empowered with the spark of life that comes from the Goddess of Creation. This spark houses a portion of what represents their mortal coil/soul and their conduit to The Essence. When a character dies they disintegrate into ashes, in accordance with the mythology of the cycle of life, death, and rebirth that is associated with the celestial avatar of the Goddess of Creation, the phoenix.
- The ash pile conveys the location of the body, so that the character may be selected for resurrection.
- The ash pile is also interractible to allow players to loot any dropped items.
- These ash piles are immediately lootable by any player.
- Player flagging is not triggered by looting.
- This effect applies to players and not mobs.
The reason for why respawning occurs, as you guys know, the avatar of the Goddess of Creation is the phoenix; and the phoenix obviously has some very stable mythological lore to it with regards to the cycle of life and death and rebirth; and that type of thing. As you enter into the world of Verra you are in a way empowered with the spark of life that comes from the Goddess of Creation herself, and in that sense you're able to house a portion of what that represents in your soul and your... conduit to the essence. – Steven Sharif
The Verdant Keeper
The Verdant Keeper... are a sect of people that keep track of all the things that are necessary to have successful crops and to grow things and to make sure that the cultivation of these things allows a society or civilization to keep growing. So in the transition from Verra to Sanctus these people had to kind of relearn how to grow things without magic. There were druid like people before and now we kind of have to go to this place where there's no magic to support those things. So they spend their time learning about the world and learning about it in sort of a scientific way and keeping track of all of these seasons of the different years, of the decades, of the centuries that go by to sort of create a map for themselves and for the civilizations that they support: Kind of a means to be successful in growing crops and keeping people healthy and happy. – Jeffrey Bard
As the months come and go, and the hand of winter looms over the land, various farmers of Verra take time to celebrate the fortune granted to them by the Verdant Keeper. Hearths are stoked, candles are lit, and fragrant delicacies are prepared. A massive celebration of food and drink takes place, marking the culmination of their hard work and preparation for the harsh, cold months to come. Should the celebrations go well, they say the Keeper will bless the next spring with a brand new harvest, ready to be plucked.
1,200 km2 (square kilometers) is the expected total world size of Verra at launch, including land (480 km2) and water/ocean (750 km2), but excluding the size of the Underrealm.
- This has increased from the previously stated total size of 480 km2 including land and water/ocean; but excluding an additional ~100 km2 of Underrealm.
- The Underrealm did not increase "too much" in size.
- The reason given for expanding the map size was to better accommodate Naval content and to reduce the overall content density in the world.
- The purpose of it becoming bigger is as I said to make sure that density isn't overwhelming: that it isn't everywhere I look there is immediately something. I have no opportunity to see areas of the world that are expansive and are just kind of wanderlust adventure feeling. Everything was sitting on top of you, POIs and nodes and houses and everything. It was like an urban area everywhere. But we wanted to expand that because a large portion of the game is a sandbox element; it's coupled with a lot of curated content but it's that sandbox element. – Steven Sharif
- The shape of the continents has also changed and two new large islands have been introduced.
Estimated travel times
|From one end of a Metropolis (stage 6) node to the other||2.83 minutes||1.67 minutes|
|From the center of a node to the center of its direct neighbor||5 minutes||3.5 minutes|
|From the northernmost to southernmost points of a continent||75 minutes||50 minutes|
Historical map sizes
|Testing phase||Map size (approximate)|
|Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale||6.25 km2.|
|Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale Forest of Erinthia||1.25 km2.|
|Launch (original estimate)||480 km2 |
|Launch (new estimate)||1,200 km2 |
Ashes of Creation offers nine playable races.
Verra is a world with rich and diverse cultures. Much of its important history has been dominated by the major races. Humans of the coast and plains, Orcs within the hills and the marshes, Elves in the forest and the riverlands, and the esteemed Dwarves of the mountains. The major races have held dominance through countless wars and skirmishes between the lesser races of Verra. Decades may pass between these flareups of violence. There are many minor races on Verra. Some of the minor races exist in makeshift villages or tribes if you will. Some of the major villages among the minor races are comprised primarily of the Giants, less reputable sects of Human, Gnomes, and Halflings. The Halflings are not Halflings in a traditional sense but actually half-bloods of different races. – Steven Sharif
Wandering the darker places in the world lie truly sinister abominations of creation. The great churches of civilization often dispatch heroes of the state to eliminate these threats to mortals. There currently exist four great nations on Verra. This is 25 years roughly before the fall: The Aelan Empire, Pyrian Kingdom, the Kaivek Protectorate, and the nation of the Dünzenkell. There was not always only four great nations. Long ago the races were more divided into many nations and city states. – Steven Sharif
In the 7,000 years of recorded history, wars upon wars were fought. Some for land, others for resources, many for beliefs. Royal houses stood and fell over the years. Some now long bereft of lordship. Many city states exist in Verra. Some self-governed bastions of democracy and republics alike. Others are vassal states at the behest of their benefactors. – Steven Sharif
The history of each server will be tracked and visible to players in a node's library.
- We're gonna keep track of the history of the world so that we can tell people the story up to the current day. A player who's brand new, who's come in at the six-month mark can take a look at each server, what each server has done, how each server has tackled the storyline; and they can decide for themselves what community they want to join; what version of the world that they want to take part in. – Jeffrey Bard
- Scribes may be able to collect and record information about the events of the world as they see it from their point of view.
At Village (stage 3) the scientific node's unique building is the Library. Players can use the Library to access information, including (but not limited to) the following:
- History of narrative events and when they occurred.
- Locations and last known quantity of gatherable resources.
- As players report resource locations to their library, node citizens will see updated information for those resources on their map.
- Locations and inhabitants of new dungeons or POIs (points of Interest) that have spawned.
- Runic power stones for armor.
- Common armor and weapon recipes (level 25 and under).
Reports of information to the library may expire after a period of time (say one week). After which new reports will be required to update the existing information.
You'll get that shroud of war functionality for the week after a report but if it doesn't receive a follow-up report after that expiration period then it will not be updating real time. – Steven Sharif
Sanctus is the world where the people of Verra found their sanctuary.
- The Goddess of Creation created the planet Sanctus along with the Divine gateways to allow the descendants of Verra to escape their destruction at the hands of the The Others and The Ancients.
- Very little will be revealed about the Sanctus story arc prior to the betas.
A long long long time ago, everybody lived on a planet called Verra. Something cataclysmic happened that forced people from that world to another world called Sanctus. Verra is a place of really high magic. Sanctus is a place with no magic whatsoever. People escaped through these portals into the world of Sanctus. They had to rediscover technology, because so much of their current technology was based on magic, so they had to figure out how to interact with the world. Thousands and thousands of years go by. A long dark age passes. This history that I just told you falls into myth and legend. After this time passes, these portals reopen and the players are going to take the part of people who are coming through those portals once again back to the world of Verra to rediscover that magic, rediscover their history, and try to figure out what happened to this world to force them out of it. – Jeffrey Bard
Sanctus is a key story arc, that will likely have very little revealed about it prior to the Betas. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Livestream, August 26, 2022 (50:40).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Livestream, November 8, 2020 (0:00:00).
- ↑ Video, September 4, 2017 (1:16).
- ↑ Video, December 2, 2022 (11:11).
- ↑ Livestream, February 25, 2022 (1:15:50).
- ↑ Livestream, December 2, 2022 (1:16:19).
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Livestream, November 30, 2020 (44:51).
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Livestream, September 30, 2020 (55:15).
- ↑ Video, July 29, 2022 (1:58).
- ↑ Livestream, November 3, 2018 (0:00:39).
- ↑ 11.00 11.01 11.02 11.03 11.04 11.05 11.06 11.07 11.08 11.09 11.10 Livestream, April 7, 2023 (16:42).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4 12.5 12.6 Podcast, November 15, 2020 (36:29).
- ↑ Livestream, November 8, 2020 (00:49).
- ↑ Podcast, November 15, 2020 (40:24).
- ↑ Livestream, November 8, 2020 (9:51).
- ↑ Podcast, November 15, 2020 (42:22).
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 17.4 17.5 17.6 Livestream, September 24, 2021 (51:20).
- ↑ Livestream, April 28, 2023 (1:19:56).
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:07:33).
- ↑ Podcast, May 11, 2018 (51:39).
- ↑ Podcast, April 11, 2021 (34:41).
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 Ashes of Creation Store: Shadeless Tree Tavern.
- ↑ Livestream, October 31, 2019 (14:13).
- ↑ Blog: Bounties of the Verdant Keeper.
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 25.2 25.3 25.4 Livestream, August 26, 2022 (46:52).
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Livestream, January 30, 2020 (1:18:12).
- ↑ 27.0 27.1
- ↑ 28.0 28.1
- ↑ Interview, August 17, 2018 (10:43).
- ↑ Livestream, April 7, 2023 (22:48).
- ↑ Livestream, August 26, 2022 (57:28).
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 Livestream, August 26, 2022 (53:26).
- ↑ Livestream, October 31, 2017 (24:00).
- ↑ Livestream, September 27, 2018 (9:08).
- ↑ 37.0 37.1 Interview, January 14, 2022 (3:50).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:00:57).
- ↑ Livestream, September 1, 2018 (1:02:18).
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 41.2 41.3 41.4 41.5 41.6 41.7 Ashes of Creation race breakdown.
- ↑ Kickstarter $2,500,000 New Player Race Achieved.
- ↑ Livestream, November 3, 2018 (0:00:54).
- ↑ Livestream, November 3, 2018 (0:01:57).
- ↑ Livestream, November 3, 2018 (0:02:35).
- ↑ Kickstarter packages.
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 47.2 47.3 47.4 47.5 47.6 47.7 Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 Interview, April 20, 2018 (9:20).
- ↑ Livestream, May 26, 2017 (51:37).
- ↑ 50.0 50.1 50.2 Podcast, April 11, 2021 (27:34).
- ↑ Official Livestream - May 4th @ 3 PM PST - Q&A
- ↑ 52.0 52.1
- ↑ Interview, April 20, 2018 (5:46).