Elder Dragon of the Wood
Elder Dragon of the Wood is a level 10+ Elder dragon raid boss in Alpha-1.
- The Elder Dragon of the Wood is a forest dragon.
- The Elder Dragon of the Wood is designed for 40-60 player raids.
- The boss is area denial focused.
- The boss fight is divided into multiple phases.
- This boss is present in the Alpha-1 castle sieges area.
- Teams who get the last hit on this boss will receive buffs that can be used in the siege battle.
- Boss mechanics were designed by Chris Justo.
Elder Dragon of the Wood mechanics
Phase 1 mechanics
- Stomp attack wave
- The boss emits a circular AoE attack that radiates outward for a significant distance from the boss.
- The AoE applies poison DoTs to players who are hit by it.
- This does more damage the further the player is from the boss.
- Players can avoid the attack by jumping over the AoE.
- Spit attack wave
- Boss targets 16 players (4 rounds each attacking 4 players) and launches poison puddles toward their location.
- There is a short telegraph window that allows players to avoid being hit.
- Poison puddles give a stacking poison DoT to players who are hit by them or who stand in them.
- Off-tanks must stand in the puddles to soak them up, requiring healing focus on them.
Phase 2 mechanics
- Rage attacks
- Stomp and Spit abilities are repeated randomly throughout the phase.
- Breath attack
- Applies poison DoTs to players.
Alpha-1 castle sieges
Alpha-1 castle sieges are based on Ashes of Creation Apocalypse castle sieges.
- Players will be able to join guilds. These guilds can register for the siege events.
- Castle siege events will be 100v100 battles that occur daily and will last for three hours.
- Attackers will start on the opposite end of the map (from the defenders).
- Attackers will be able to use trebuchets to drive to and assault the castle.
- When the attackers have breached the castle they will be able to channel a cast on the relic in the throne room to try to capture the castle from the defenders.
- The victors of castle sieges will receive benefits, such as cloaks, flying mounts for guild leaders and potentially also for guild officers.
- Alpha-1 castle sieges are in a separate zone that is accessible via a NPC teleporter.
- Currently the siege zone is actually in the open world, but separated by mountains and off in the sea a bit. There is actually no instancing in A1, although the siege zone will only be accessible in A1 through a registration NPC teleporter. – Steven Sharif
- This zone includes the following raid bosses.
- These bosses will also appear in the open-world (outside the siege zone) with slightly different mechanics.
- The opposing team is notified when these raid bosses are being attacked.
- Teams who get the last hit on these bosses will receive buffs that will help them in the siege battle.
Last year, I spoke of attempting to incorporate sieges into the Alpha One experience. This has obviously been a goal of mine because it provides considerable data and a consistent event within the world that players can participate in to help stress test the deployment. Well, I am happy to say that it is appearing more and more likely by the day! Initial implementation of the Apocalypse siege code has been migrated into the Alpha One client, and we should begin internal testing next month. I will caveat this expectation with the fact that we are cutting it a bit close from an internal QA standpoint, but I have some confidence that the system will be online and capable of inclusion for the Alpha One test in the month of June. The siege component will obviously not be representative of what the siege system will be at launch, or even in Alpha Two. – Steven Sharif
- Destructible structures (such as walls and gates) are present in Alpha-1 castle sieges.
- The ability to repair structures (and siege weapons) is a long term design goal that will not be present during Alpha-1.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1
- ↑ Video, April 30, 2021 (4:51).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2021 (22:29).
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 Video, April 30, 2021 (3:13).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Video, April 30, 2021 (13:02).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2021 (03:13).
- ↑ Video, May 28, 2021 (24:44).
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.7 8.8 Video, April 30, 2021 (19:25).
- ↑ Video, May 28, 2021 (19:04).
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Blog: Creative Director's Letter, April 14 2021
- ↑ 11.0 11.1
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Livestream, April 30, 2021 (41:18).
- ↑ Podcast, April 11, 2021 (49:40).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Livestream, May 28, 2021 (1:04:29).