There may be instanced locations within otherwise open-world castle and node sieges, where specific groups can participate in small, short duration objective-based battles that will affect the overall outcome of the siege.
- What we were talking about was how during castle sieges or node sieges, you're going to have certain instanced locations where it's only going to be a group that's designated to participate versus another group while the siege is happening. And I know in the past we talked about well how do you plan to incorporate these more objective-based waypoints as part of these larger events; and say that not only is it going to be a complement of numbers or in the overall grand kind of battle perspective, but there's also going to be opportunities for smaller more niche groups to participate in more focused objective capturing. And a part of that is going to be small very short, kind of ten minute long instanced battles where groups can go and participate against other groups that are defender versus attacker; and the outcome of which will influence certain aspects of the overall battle while that's still occurring in the background. – Steven Sharif
Node siege objectives
Each node has a number of districts, depending on its stage.
- Districts are taken by defeating a "raid boss" guard NPC in that district.
- If attackers take over a district, they gain that district as a respawn location.
- Attackers can kill the quartermasters to increase the respawn times of the defenders while reducing their own respawn times.
Defenders can assault the outposts of the attackers to hinder them.
Attackers may not be capable of deleveling a node. Instead they may carry out precision attacks to disable specific service-oriented buildings within the node. These buildings can be targeted with siege weapons and bombs.
As the attackers are sieging a city you know they have obviously a win condition- a win objective- but additionally there can be casualties from a structural standpoint during that process. So let's say if the... attackers were to not succeed in completely destroying the node they could still affect damage across multiple types of buildings that are present within the node, which disables services for that those citizens and also will require some type of reconstruction effort on behalf of the citizens. – Steven Sharif
Castle siege objectives
- Attackers capture waypoints in the castle's architecture to diminish their respawn timer and increase the respawn timer of the defenders.
- Defenders can counter-play by attacking the siege headquarters of the attackers to diminish their declaration flags and increase their respawn timers.
- Legendary NPCs will be present as commanders that act like mini raid bosses within the defending and attacking armies. Killing these provides added benefits, such as certain types of drops that grant battlefield benefits to either side.
- The ultimate objective for the defenders is to survive during the timed period of the siege, which is approximately 90 minutes in its first iteration.
- If the attackers reach the inner keep of the castle, a guild leader (or one other delegated officer) must cast a 3 to 5 minute cast to seal ownership of the castle.
There's an opportunity there for perhaps backstabbing in the throne room where one guild is like yeah you know we agreed to get to this area but we had a change of heart in the middle of the battle. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Livestream, January 28, 2022 (17:50).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Interview, July 19, 2020 (37:58).
- ↑ Livestream, May 19, 2017 (47:07).
- ↑ Livestream, November 22, 2019 (17:59).
- ↑ Livestream, November 22, 2019 (15:48).
- ↑ Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 Podcast, April 23, 2018 (15:14).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Interview, May 11, 2018 (44:20).