- There will be no region locking, but certain regions will have "harmonized" subscription prices that better reflect their local economies. Harmonized regions will be segregated from other regions.
- Certain regions will have "harmonized" subscription prices that better reflect their local economies. Harmonized regions will be segregated from other regions. – Ry Schueller
- Lifetime subscriptions were granted to crowdfunding backers at the Braver of worlds level or higher. These will never be available again.
- Subscriptions will begin at launch or, subject to change, a user may be able to choose to activate their subscription to start at a particular point in time.
- I think a sub cost provides both the barrier of entry to prevent, some not all, but mitigate some gold selling bots and whatnot because there's a cost associated with playing the game, but it's also not too high that it gets on the greedy side or prevents a lot of players from participating and trying the game; and then if the game is good then people will continue to subscribe and that subscription provides funding and revenue for the developers to continue a significant content creation and expansion rollout for the game. – Steven Sharif
- There is no P2W in Apocalypse or the MMORPG!
Pay to win
Ashes of Creation will not be pay to win, that is our pledge to the community. One of the core principles we set forth with Ashes of Creation is a very strong desire to maintain the game's even playing field.
A lot of developers and companies have come along in the past- and I've been hit by this too- and they've said we're not going to have pay-to-win and then boom they roll out some pay-to-win. We have consistently said we won't be pay-to-win and in the pre-orders that we provide and even in the Kickstarter there were absolutely zero pay-to-win components whatsoever. So not only will we talk the talk but we will walk the walk as well. – Steven Sharif
Because we are a non-box purchase game, meaning there is no box price to play Ashes of Creation, it is only a subscription; and that's beneficial because it reduces the barrier of entry and we want a high population obviously; but at the same time one of the ways we augment the revenue flows to sustain constant updates and new chapter releases and additional content within the game is through a cosmetic-only marketplace; and that means absolutely no pay-to-win whatsoever; and that will be adhered to forever. – Steven Sharif
- There will not be level boosts or auto-leveling.
- There will not be a loot box system in Ashes of Creation.
We will not use a loot box system for cosmetics either. We currently have a cosmetic store that offers limited time, limited quantity items to help sustain game development. These items are purely decorative and do not offer any in-game benefits.
- Multiple accounts and multi-boxing on separate computers is not currently considered pay-to-win.
My definition of pay-to-win is really anything that affects the in-game economy, the in-game action pool, your abilities and/or skills... In my opinion the inventory slots and the XP potions would be considered pay-to-win. – Steven Sharif
- Q: Will there be RNG boxes?
- A: I dislike RNG. Archeage made me loath rng monetization gimmicks. – Steven Sharif
Cosmetic store (micro transactions)
- Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means.
- Nothing in the cosmetic store will be pay to win.
Nothing in our shop will ever be pay to win as we believe this practice greatly hurts the MMORPG genre.
- Cash shop cosmetics will offer a diverse selection of unique looks.
I want to incentivize purchase in the cosmetic shop for sustainability of what expansions we have intended, since we are not a box cost. I want to incentivize purchase by offering limited items: limited time, limited quantity, so you have confidence that when you purchase them, they won't be offered later on in some other way. – Steven Sharif
- All cosmetic store items will be non-tradeable. There will be no gifting mechanism for cosmetic items.
- Skins are only be able to be applied to things that have already been earned, crafted or found within Ashes of Creation.
- Owning cosmetics does not guarantee the acquisition of the item the cosmetic can be used on. Players must still achieve the corresponding item/building. – Steven Sharif
- Caravan skins change the appearance of an in-game mount and in-game caravan that are hooked up to each other.
- The best skins will be in-game achievable.
- The best skins will be in-game achievable (obviously “best” is subjective, so I’d say the most ornate and detailed/unique). – Steven Sharif
- To be really clear, we have no plans to have NFTs in Ashes of Creation, or any other "play-to-earn" mechanics.
Nobody should feel that they have to back the project to see it come to life. It's coming to life regardless of that. You do it because you want to support us and that's fine; and if you don't want to, that's also fine as well. We want to hear your voice and we want you to be part of the community, so that's a very important aspect. Nothing we offer in the pre-order packages are power driven. They don't give any competitive advantage to an individual who backs the game. – Steven Sharif
- Intrepid Studios will be opening offices in Amsterdam to help support their publishing operations in the EU (European Union) and CIS regions.
We have learned a lot from our partnership with MY.GAMES, and we wish our friends there all the best as we have mutually decided to part ways. Looking ahead, we’re excited to announce that Intrepid Studios will be opening European offices in Amsterdam to help support our publishing operations in the EU/CIS regions. We have recently posted open positions for our new EU offices, and look forward to hiring the best and brightest in true Intrepid fashion. – Steven Sharif
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale early access testing ended on March 10, 2020. It was previously available for download on the official website and on Steam.
- Alpha-0 was the invite-only "raffle" friends and family alpha test phase.
- Alpha-1, Alpha-2, Beta-1, and Beta-2 were available for purchase during the Kickstarter and Summer crowdfunding campaigns.
- Alpha-1 was available in the Intrepid pre-order pack and the Adventurer pre-order pack.
- Alpha-2 and Beta-2 were available during PAX West 2017.
- Alpha-2, Beta-1, and Beta-2 are currently available in Pre-order packs on the cosmetic store.
Ashes of Creation's core game systems are expected to be in place at the start of Alpha-2. By the end of Alpha-2, the game is expected to be feature complete, but it will not be content complete until launch.
- Alpha-1 and Alpha-2 testers may be invited to participate in spot testing prior to the Alpha-2 release.
- The game will be feature complete before Beta... Beta really is intended to identify last minute bugs to make sure that everything is ready for launch; it's important that all features are complete by Beta-1. Alpha-2 will not be feature complete at the start of Alpha-2. There are going to be updates that are going to be incorporated as part of the Alpha-2 process and there are going to be additional features that come online that get fleshed out between that time and Beta-1. There's going to be regions of the maps that aren't going to be accessible of course during Alpha-2. – Steven Sharif
- Alpha-2 is intended to exist up until launch. There's going to be different testing periods that we will be releasing either new content locations or zones or systems that we want to have players focus in on. In those situations, if we're having participation drought because of the length of Alpha-2, we can set them up in a more focused setting. We can even incentivize that. We can offer unique testing to potentially new testers as well. – Steven Sharif
- The frequency and size of expansions will be based on the popularity and subscription base of the game.
- Larger expansions will add new content and increase various aspects of the game.
- New content will primarily be introduced through the node system. The goal is for existing content to remain relevant alongside the new content.
- Expansions provide an opportunity for the developers to evaluate ways to unlock content that was not readily experienced by players in the previous release.
- Each inflection point, which is those updates as expansions... you get to go back reevaluate. Hey, it seems like 89% of the servers out there never opened this door. Well, maybe the predicates were too granular. Maybe they were too focused. Maybe there's a reason why that didn't happen? Let's expand on that for the next expansion so that this content has an opportunity to come out and see the light of day. – Steven Sharif
- Pre-order packs
- Livestream, May 4, 2018 (53:34).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:21:03).
- Livestream, February 26, 2021 (1:08:47).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:53:46).
- Livestream, October 31, 2018 (38:47).
- Blog: Steam Announce And Play Test FAQ For Ashes of Creation Apocalypse
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (56:02).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (48:28).
- Podcast, August 4, 2018 (1:57:56).
- Interview, June 13, 2021 (48:27).
- Ashes of Creation cosmetic store.
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (PM) (58:29).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (32:36).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Payment model.
- Rime and Regal.
- Livestream, December 6, 2018 (41:43).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (1:15:34).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (57:50).
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (2:14:06).
- Reddit - Developer response regarding play-to-earn mechanics.
- Livestream, December 23, 2021 (1:23:41).
- Interview, August 21, 2018 (11:20).
- Blog: New Adventure Awaits.
- Kickstarter packages.
- MMOGAMES Interview, 2017-09-8.
- Intrepid pre-order pack.
- Adventurer pre-order pack.
- PAX West 2017 Alpha package.
- PAX West 2017 Beta package.
- Livestream, March 31, 2023 (1:24:21).
- Podcast, September 29, 2021 (59:29).
- Livestream, April 7, 2023 (28:08).
- Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:08:49).
- Livestream, March 31, 2023 (5:57).
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (45:11).
- Livestream, January 18, 2018 (25:22).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (26:35).
- Interview, February 7, 2021 (21:57).
- Livestream, May 8, 2017 (11:14).
- Livestream, August 17, 2018 (1:02:38).
- Livestream, June 26, 2020 (1:26:54).
- Interview, June 13, 2021 (42:22).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (1:02:27).