- The monthly subscription fee is USD $14.99.
- Lifetime subscriptions were granted to crowdfunding backers at the Braver of worlds level or higher.
I think a sub cost provides both the barrier of entry to prevent, some not all, but mitigate some gold selling bots and whatnot because there's a cost associated with playing the game, but it's also not too high that it gets on the greedy side or prevents a lot of players from participating and trying the game; and then if the game is good then people will continue to subscribe and that subscription provides funding and revenue for the developers to continue a significant content creation and expansion rollout for the game. – Steven Sharif
There is no P2W in Apocalypse or the MMORPG!
- In-game currency will not be able to be used to purchase subscription time. This may change in the future.
We want to make sure that there's no "interactability" between any type of pay-to-win scenario where our players can exchange those in-game types of currencies to pay for subscriptions. – Steven Sharif
- This only applies to purchases made with an applicable payment method; purchases redeemed using Intrepid Bucks are not eligible.
- Purchase Embers.
- Reduce subscription costs (to zero).
- Obtain cash rewards on a quarterly basis after Ashes of Creation has launched.
- The frequency and size of expansions will be based on the popularity and subscription base of the game.
- Larger expansions will add new content and increase various aspects of the game.
Because of the modularity of a lot of the systems that we're working on, it's not too hard to iterate and implement new things... We're planning on going on a quarterly/ monthly cycle to continue to push out new content. – Jeffrey Bard
The quarterly cycle for the big content is good for us and then, as you said, those modular components to our mechanisms in the game allow for us to introduce smaller content patches that can be seen in real time in the world. – Steven Sharif
We don't intend to a wordsmith around future charge for DLC content. As a subscription model, that's part of the agreement between us as a Studio and you guys: That there will be regularly scheduled updates and chapters; and that subscription is what allows you to access that content. – Steven Sharif
Pay to win
Ashes of Creation will not be pay to win, that is our pledge to the community. One of the core principles we set forth with Ashes of Creation is a very strong desire to maintain the game's even playing field.
A lot of developers and companies have come along in the past- and I've been hit by this too- and they've said we're not going to have pay-to-win and then boom they roll out some pay-to-win. We have consistently said we won't be pay-to-win and in the pre-orders that we provide and even in the Kickstarter there were absolutely zero pay-to-win components whatsoever. So not only will we talk the talk but we will walk the walk as well. – Steven Sharif
Because we are a non-box purchase game, meaning there is no box price to play Ashes of Creation, it is only a subscription; and that's beneficial because it reduces the barrier of entry and we want a high population obviously; but at the same time one of the ways we augment the revenue flows to sustain constant updates and new chapter releases and additional content within the game is through a cosmetic-only marketplace; and that means absolutely no pay-to-win whatsoever; and that will be adhered to forever. – Steven Sharif
- Multiple accounts and multi-boxing on separate computers is not currently considered pay-to-win.
My definition of pay-to-win is really anything that affects the in-game economy, the in-game action pool, your abilities and/or skills... In my opinion the inventory slots and the XP potions would be considered pay-to-win. – Steven Sharif
- Q: Will there be RNG boxes?
- A: I dislike RNG. Archeage made me loath rng monetization gimmicks. – Steven Sharif
Player housing grace period
- Pre-order packs
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (53:34).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:21:03).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:53:46).
- Livestream, 31 October 2018 (38:47).
- Blog: Steam Announce And Play Test FAQ For Ashes of Creation Apocalypse
- Livestream, 1 September 2018 (1:05:10).
- Ashes of Creation referral program.
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (20:47).
- Interview, 7 February 2021 (21:57).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (11:14).
- Livestream, 17 August 2018 (1:02:38).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:26:54).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (19:12).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (56:02).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (48:28).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:57:56).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (42:22).