- There are small NPC settlements at each the starting areas. These represent scouts that were sent ahead of the main expedition back to Verra. These settlements are designed to acclimatize new players entering the world.
- Each starting area is in proximity to at least one of the four divine gateways that are located in the ruined cities of the four ancient races.
- While it may be advantageous to do so, there is no requirement for players to play through any specific starter zone content.
- Starting areas have some distance between them.
A problem that a lot of MMOs have is that those starting areas become just kind of vacant of players and it's so sad because the greatest aspect of an MMO is that community that you get to experience, so one of the great things about the node system is that it really works from new player acquisition standpoint, where these nodes tend to develop larger near the starting location areas around the world; and it brings these players back to those locations if they're citizens and want services within those cities. So, as new players enter the world they're going to actually be surrounded most likely by more population because people are coming back to those larger nodes. – Steven Sharif
- Divine gateways are where players first arrive in Ashes of Creation.
- Players can choose their starting gateway. This choice is not restricted by their choice of race.
Where players start, they enter this portal from another world called Sanctus. Sanctus is a place of no magic, low technology; and players are the first expeditioners that are coming through this portal into the world of Verra. – Jeffrey Bard
Tulnar starting area
- There will be a mentorship program where upper-level players are able to benefit from partying and/or helping lower level players; and getting them situated in the game.
There will be activities that are present for higher level players to mentor lower level players. Let's say you have a friend who joins later on and you still want to do things with them, there will be things to do. Will you he be able to enter a dungeon of your level and participate? No, because we don't want to inflate or deflate characters and manipulate that type of skill or power. We want that to be something that makes sense for them in a progression standpoint. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, 28 March 2020 (32:30).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:03:03).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (29:25).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (25:20).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (53:58).
- Video, 5 April 2018 (40:08).
- Interview, 20 July 2020 (13:33).
- Interview, 20 April 2018 (5:46).
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (5:49).
- Interview, 24 August 2018 (8:52).
- Livestream, 3 September 2017 (33:28).