At the Village Stage, the camp becomes a small frontier town. There are some permanent structures in place at this level, as well as the beginning of local Government. The Development Area feels permanent and lived in. You'll find buildings developed with more advanced materials, features such as stone and mortar, fences, and other common structures. The Village Stage will also unlock a Special Building that grants unique utility to its Node Type - Military, Economic, Divine or Scientific; we’ll share further details on those buildings in future entries in this series that cover each specific Node Type. – Margaret Krohn
Citizen and non-citizen player activity (questing, gathering, raiding, etc.) within a node's ZOI counts toward that particular node’s advancement (progression). Nodes have seven (7) stages of advancement, with experience thresholds for each stage. When a Node reaches the experience required for its current stage, it advances to the next stage.
|Node stage.||Alternate name.||Timeframe to advance.||Player housing.|
|3.||Village||-||Few days||Freeholds, Static housing|
|4.||Town||-||Many days||Freeholds, Static housing, Apartments|
|5.||City||-||Few weeks||Freeholds, Static housing, Apartments|
|6.||Metropolis||Metro||Many weeks||Freeholds, Static housing, Apartments|
The Development Area of a Node is where civilization will appear as the Node advances. As the Node Stage increases, different buildings, NPCs, and services will become available in the Development Area. The higher the Node Stage, the more complex and populated the Development Area becomes. Development Areas will also vary depending on the Node Type - Economic, Military, Scientific, or Divine; we’ll go into further details on each of those Node Types in future posts in this series. – Margaret Krohn
- Nodes advance to the first stage quickly. This enables NPC services such as vending or banking items.
- The more advanced the node is, the larger its ZOI becomes.
- Less advanced nodes (referred to as vassal nodes) that fall within a more advanced node's ZOI can still gain XP, but must remain at a lower advancement stage than the dominant node.
- A node does not receive XP from the nodes within its ZOI until these nodes have reached their cap.
- Players are moved to safety if they intersect with newly spawned assets during node advancement.
- Citizens of one node can contribute to the advancement of other nodes.
- The exact percentage of advancement from obtaining items or killing monsters is not going to be explicitly known to avoid "gaming" the system.
Different people have different resources invested in nodes progressing and it would be a little "gamey" if you could know exactly what was necessary at that point because that would disincentivize people from participating. – Steven Sharif
- Vassal nodes must remain one node stage below their parent node.
- Vassal nodes give excess experience to their parent node and may have their own vassals; so long as they fall within the parent node’s zone of influence.
- If a node is capped and is both a vassal and has its own vassals, any experience earned from itself or its Vassals is first applied to its own deficit. Experience beyond that is then sent to its parent node.
- Vassals are subject to the government, alliances, wars, taxes, and trade of their parent node, and are able to receive federal aid from them.
- Vassal nodes cannot declare war on their parent node or any of their vassals.
- Citizens of vassals are bound by the diplomatic states of the parent node.
If a Node is a Vassal Node and is capped from advancing further, it first applies any experience earned to its own deficit (see Node Atrophy section), and then applies excess experience earned to its Parent Node. If the Parent Node advances and the Vassal is able to grow, it becomes uncapped. If a Node is capped and is both a Vassal and has its own Vassals, any experience earned from itself or its Vassals is first applied to their own deficit. Any experience beyond that is then sent to its Parent Node. – Margaret Krohn
|Apartments||Instanced.||Town stage and higher.||One per server.|
|Freeholds||Open world.||Village stage and higher.||One per account.|
|Static housing||In-node.||Village stage and higher.||One per server.|
- In-node housing will be at a premium, and is expected to be hotly contested.
- The more apartments that have been purchased in a node, the higher the price scales.
- Players will not be able to exceed their allotment of housing in the game.
This will allow players to transfer real property goods. This includes freeholds, this includes static housing, this includes apartments that they may own; and they can sell those because those will have a limited and finite quantity. – Steven Sharif
Rental and leasing concepts are currently under consideration.
Some concepts that we have is going to be rental or leases that could be had allowing players to kind of lease a property for a period of time where they will have control rights over utilizing storage based on the area, controlling the furniture or access point; all that kind of stuff. – Steven Sharif
- Ability to claim citizenship to a Node.
- Prized items can be displayed within a house.
- Houses can be used to carry out crafting.
- Social activities.
- Houses provide an amount of storage.
- Achievements and trophies may be displayed.
- May provide proximity based bonuses.
- Caravans are for transfer of personal goods and quests as well as supplies for castles and nodes.
- Caravans can transport goods for more than one player.
Node sieges enable players to delevel a node (reverse its advancement) and to ultimately destroy that node entirely. This paves the way for new development and access to the locked content in surrounding nodes. Due to this dynamic, political strife and intrigue play an important role in the structure of the world.
- Attackers may not be capable of deleveling a node. Instead they may carry out precision attacks to disable specific service-oriented buildings within the node. These buildings can be targeted with siege weapons and bombs.
- If the node still exists after the siege has ended, citizens will need to obtain the resources needed to rebuild any damaged infrastructure.
You could be more precision oriented in the decision to attack a city. Let's it's a rival node that's trying to reach you know a node stage five or something and you want to disable their ability for the religious system to progress so you target the temple during the attack, or you want to disable their scholars academy from reaching a higher level so that your nodes can; or you want to disable multiple buildings that allow for experience and quests to be undertaken by its citizenship, which prevents them from keeping up in pace of experience gained with your node. These can be more precision oriented and don't have to effectualize an actual takeover of the node. – Steven Sharif
Sieging nodes will not be an easy task for the attackers. Cities and metropolises will have a considerable defensive advantage. Automatic PvE sieges may be initiated against nodes that are not continuously active.
Monster coin events
Legion monster coin events are common events that occur for Nodes up to the Village stage. This might include a horde of zombies rolling across the countryside finding something or someone to feast on. Players who wish to keep their advancements will need to be vigilant.
Elite monster coin events occur for nodes that exist between the Village and Metropolis stages. This level of event would include something along the lines of a dungeon level bosses and mobs coming into the world to pillage and destroy specific centers of activity.
- Livestream, November 22 2019 (50:56).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- A reactive world - Nodes.
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Livestream, 12 December 2018 (14:48).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (50:20).
- Video, 20 April 2017 (0:02).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (55:27).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (28:16).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (32:46).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (50:47).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Livestream, 12 May 2017 (52:01).
- Livestream, 30 May 2019 (1:23:41).
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (30:53).
- About Ashes of Creation.
- Video, 16 July 2019 (0:00s).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (45:20).
- Interview, 20 January 2017 (4:19).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (28:21).
- Video, 4 December 2016 (0:02).
- Livestream, November 22 2019 (16:56).
- Livestream, November 22 2019 (17:59).
- Video, 30 April 2017 (5:31).
- Livestream, 3 May 2017 (36:25).