Tempest Watchpost was a cosmetic freehold building skin in a pre-order pack.
Some siege techniques have faded into the realms of myth and legend during the Sanctus Interregnum – primarily those requiring the use of magic. Practical evidence of their use still dots the landscape in the vicinity of ancient battlefields and ruined fortifications. Some believe that the Storm Battalion got its name from their thundering explosives and siege equipment, but these ruins contain evidence that the name is far more literal. Prior to the Harbinger Apocalypse, powerful mages wielded magical artifacts with the ability to control the weather, and bring terrible storms to bear upon seemingly indestructible holdfasts. Whether these artifacts were used to defend against the holdfasts or to employ them, remains a mystery.
Cosmetics provide a wide array of customization in Ashes of Creation.
- There are no pay-to-win gameplay benefits from any purchasable items.
- All skin cosmetic items are cosmetic items only and do not grant the user any other benefit. The lore text is flavor text, and background of the creatures and items in the world of Verra.
- Types of cosmetics:
- Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means. Cosmetics achievable in-game will be on-par, and in the case of legendary skins, even more elaborate than shop items.
- I want to make sure that equitable cosmetics both from a quantity and quality standpoint are achievable through in-game achievements. Time, effort should let you be happy with what you can accomplish. – Steven Sharif
- In my opinion quality of cash shop cosmetics should be equal to in game achievable cosmetics, but offer a diverse selection of unique looks. – Steven Sharif
- There will be legendary cosmetics that are only achievable in-game that will never be offered in the cosmetic shop.
- The most grand looking cosmetics will be from in-game achievment only. – Steven Sharif
- There will not be recolors or material swaps on the monthly cosmetics as a means to populate in-game achievements.
- There will be variants of the monthly cosmetics for NPCs and Mobs.
- Component pieces of cosmetic armor may be reused in other in-game achievable gear sets.
- From an armor standpoint, we cut armor sets up into many different pieces. These pieces can sometimes be used as part of other sets, that may include helmets, wrists, gloves etc. So while you will not see an achievable white version of the corvid castigator set in the game for example, you may see its shoulder piece used in another set, or its leggings, or wrist piece used in another set (not every piece as to form the whole set, but perhaps a couple pieces). This would be difficult to notice at first glance, due to the material, texture and color variation used, but this modular approach to content creation makes achieving a wide variety of looks achievable for an MMORPG of our size. – Steven Sharif
- Different variants of store purchased cosmetic creatures (Pets and Mounts) may exist in the wild.
- While the exact same skin will not be available again in the future once it's gone from the Shop, these skins are all variants of creatures that you can expect to see across Verra - so perhaps you will find one with a similar style in-game! – Sarah Flanagan
- Cosmetics can be used by all races but there may be slight variations to make them work with the body builds of each race.
- There will not be mascot looking/furry cosmetics.
- It's important to remember, Ashes is a NO-BOX COST subscription only game, with an optional cosmetic marketplace. This achieves a few things from a monetization model. Having a lower barrier to entry for players to try the game when they don't have to fork out $60 for the box price is good, our box price is 0$. This also places an emphasis on the game's retention and our continual updates and content creation to keep players playing and staying subscribed (a put your money where your mouth is sort of philosophy for us as a company). It also means players don't have to spend $60 every time there is an expansion. – Steven Sharif
- Is there an answer that satisfies everyone? Nope. And that's ok. We are open and transparent with our philosophies and business model. You know what you are getting with Ashes and to me, given my experiences in other games, it is a nice breath of fresh air. – Steven Sharif
- Costume and pet cosmetics don't have a level restriction. Building, ship, caravan and mount cosmetics require an in-game item to be obtained first to apply the cosmetic.
- I know there have been quite a few questions regarding cosmetics over the years. As we get further along in development, we'll be providing more specific information regarding what specific buildings, items, etc., you can place each cosmetic on. We'll update this for all past items. – Margaret Krohn
- Cosmetics are not tradeable with other players but can be reassigned to other characters (alts) within the same account.
The Cosmetic store enables players to purchase Cosmetics for use in Ashes of Creation. The cosmetic store offers limited time, limited quantity items to help sustain game development.
- Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means.
- Nothing in the cosmetic store will be pay to win.
Nothing in our shop will ever be pay to win as we believe this practice greatly hurts the MMORPG genre.
- Cash shop cosmetics will offer a diverse selection of unique looks.
I want to incentivize purchase in the cosmetic shop for sustainability of what expansions we have intended, since we are not a box cost. I want to incentivize purchase by offering limited items: limited time, limited quantity, so you have confidence that when you purchase them, they won't be offered later on in some other way. – Steven Sharif
- All cosmetic store items will be non-tradeable. There will be no gifting mechanism for cosmetic items.
I don't want cosmetic items that can be purchased from the market to be transferable... because it is in a way a transfer of money for potentially something in-game. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Ashes of Creation Store: Tempest Watchpost.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Rime and Regal.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Ashes of Creation Reddit - Heat and Harmony.
- ↑ Livestream, May 8, 2017 (48:52).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Livestream, 2018-04-8 (PM) (58:29).
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:53:46).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1
- ↑ 12.0 12.1
- ↑ Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:25:55).
- ↑ Livestream, June 26, 2020 (1:42:55).
- ↑ Podcast, November 15, 2020 (49:02).
- ↑ Livestream, November 30, 2020 (57:50).
- ↑ 21.0 21.1
- ↑ Ashes of Creation cosmetic store.
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 Interview, May 11, 2018 (32:36).