Node layout and style
- Environment and location of the node.
Currently the way that the platform system is set up, is it's capable of adjusting the topography of the node's footprint, regardless of the surrounding terrain. So the reason for that is we want to have flexibility in the presentation of the node's layout and how it is essentially both from an aesthetic standpoint as well as a mechanical standpoint with node sieges- how it's constructed and that construction should have the ability to take on a variance of different types of topography. So it shouldn't be dependent on the surrounding area. Now that's not to say that the surrounding area isn't going to have some influence over. So for example... we're experimenting a little bit with the platform tech and putting up a node up against the side of a mountain or on the edge of a cliff or something that has a beautiful vista. Those are things that we're going to test out obviously as we continue to work on the node tool and how that platform system works, but the idea is to have the node independent of the surrounding terrain. – Steven Sharif
Some parts are determined by the area it's in. Some parts are determined by the type it is. Some parts are determined by the race it is; and then the rest of it is determined by the mayor. – Jeffrey Bard
- Race that contributed the highest percentage to the node's advancement will alter the racial appearance of its buildings and NPCs.
All nodes whether they're associated with a castle or associated with normal node structure has cultural influences that replicate over to the buildings that are produced and the NPCs that are present. – Steven Sharif
Constructible node buildings
These are buildings that the mayor has agency over determining whether or not they should be a constructed project. Constructible buildings can be selected at open plots that are gained as the node advances. If they elect to begin construction of one of these types of buildings- one of which is the marketplace- it'll grant certain trade benefits as well as some stalls that the citizens may participate in. – Steven Sharif
And there could be regime change... If somebody doesn't like the fact that a market was built and they want to re-elect a new government next cycle, they can do so... and that market could be destroyed and a new building take its place.
Unique node buildings
Each node type has a unique node building associated with it that can be activated at the Village stage of node advancement. The unique building plays a central role in the progress of civilization for a server.
- Divine nodes
- Economic nodes
- Military nodes
- Scientific nodes
Static housing development
- The Village stage offers small housing types.
- The Town stage introduces medium housing types.
- The City stage introduces large sized homes.
- The Metropolis stage introduces mansion size houses.
If you choose to keep the same size then the next stage will have an occupied small home. So for instance if at stage three there are 8 small home and you own 1, then at stage 4 there are 10 new small homes of which x are owned by previous owners, and 10 new medium homes of which x are owned by upgraded small home owners. – Steven Sharif
New property becomes available at each stage of advancement, but it will be more akin to what was available at the previous stage.
- Only the houses that existed at the Village stage will become main street mansions at the Metropolis stage.
- Different races becoming primary contributors.
- Design elements determined by different governments.
- Reactions and interactions with other nodes in the world.
We can push the limits a little bit on the graphical fidelity, especially using Unreal Engine 4... My desire was not to see very cartoony games. I'm not a big fan of highly stylized art. – Steven Sharif
- Aelean architecture has a French medieval influence.
- Dünir have a Nordic cultural influence.
- Empyreans have a Greco-Roman imperialistic feeling.
- The Kaelar have a European racial influence.
- The Niküa have a Polynesian influence.
- The Py'Rai have a Navajo Native American influence. Py'Rai architecture has a woodland inspiration.
- Pyrian architecture has a Greco-Roman influence.
- The Vaelune have a Middle Eastern racial influence.
- The Vek have a Mesoamerican racial influence.
You will see in the different races that are available from a player character standpoint a lot of different influences that reflect many cultures in the world: Not just European, not just Africa, not Mesoamerican. These cultures are going to be present in many of the races. – Steven Sharif
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - Advance and Destroy.
- Livestream, 30 October 2020 (39:17).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (53:06).
- Livestream, 26 February 2021 (1:10:28).
- Livestream, 26 February 2021 (1:12:18).
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (29:47).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (54:34).
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (21:23).
- Podcast, 11 April 2021 (23:36).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (47:27).
- Livestream, 28 March 2020 (1:16:03).
- Video, 23 March 2020 (0:24).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (33:57).
- Livestream, 20 January 2018 (38:17).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Interview, 8 July 2020 (55:05).
- Livestream, 1 September 2018 (36:28).
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- Video, 31 May 2020 (47:32).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (52:39).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (2:17:43).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (3:47:17).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (1:03:21).
- Podcast, 11 May 2018 (31:35).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (15:58).
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (1:04:27).