Guild halls serve as a focal point for a guild, offering a host of benefits and customization options.
- Guild halls may be placed on guild freeholds or within nodes.
- In-node guild halls may only be claimed by patron guilds of that node. These have different perks and benefits to halls placed on freehold plots.
- When a guild reaches a certain level, its guild master is granted a guild freehold certificate to enable placement of a guild hall.
- Guild halls are objectives in guild wars.
- Guild halls can only be destroyed by a successful node siege. This contrasts with guild fortresses, which can be sieged in a guild war.
- A guild hall only houses a single guild.
Guildhalls are the ultimate expression of a guild's power! In Ashes these structures will serve as focal points for a guild, offering any guilds who construct them a whole host of benefits as well as customization options.
When a guild reaches a certain level, its guild master is granted a guild freehold certificate to enable placement of a guild hall.
- Some freehold cosmetics may be applicable to guild freeholds.
Guild halls unlock actions a guild can perform within a node.
- Allow guilds to participate in the shareholder system.
Whether an organization is the patron of their node means it contributes the most amount of work to the node from its members.
Patron guilds unlock the following benefits for their members.
- Emblems can be applied to guild armor that can be purchased from the node.
- Participation in the node's stock market.
- Ability to participate in specific guild-based missions that will progress the guild's leveling and development.
- Allocation of guild points to unlock specific node abilities for guild members.
- Ability to claim an in-node guild hall. These have different perks and benefits to halls placed on freehold plots.
Any number of guilds can be in a node, but the number of patron guilds within a node is limited by node stage.
- Villages and lower do not have patron guilds.
- Towns can have up to 1 patron guild.
- Cities can have up to 2 patron guilds.
- Metropolises can have up to 3 patron guilds.
Guilds may be able to allocate points to increase their reputation with the node that houses their guild hall. This will affect:
Another thing we were talking about I remember early on with regards to guilds is not just that but also having a reputation score; and being able to allocate points to increase that reputation perhaps with a specific node that you may have your guild hall in; and that reputation will interact with the way that NPCs interact with you. It might interact with the way that quests are given in that particular node or merchant services that are present. – Steven Sharif
Guild war features are currently still in the design stage, but the overall goal is for guild wars to be objective-based with great risk for each side.
- Guild war objectives are designed to be more fluid than castle siege objectives.
- Guild wars can be declared at any time, but the objectives will only spawn during server prime-time.
- Players can kill each other at any time during the war (not only during server prime-time).
- Guild wars will not be permanent. Definitive victory conditions exist that are based on the level of the warring guilds and the assets that those guilds have.
- Guild wars are considered a core system of Alpha-2.
- I can't really define exactly what those features are yet because that design stage is still up in the air from a discussion standpoint. There's a lot of different ideas that relates to how those two can come into play, but I will say that in every MMO I've ever played guild wars are very binary. They're very like 'Okay you've declared, you have a number of kills to deaths and the guild war's over, thank you...' My objective to kind of change that dynamic is to include greater risk for the sides to initiate the war and also to make it more objective-based than just a binary kill death ratio; and the fortresses and guild halls come into that type of facilitating that change. – Steven Sharif
Guild war objectives
Guild war objectives spawn in the world based on the level of the guild war and the assets available to the guilds, whether it be a guild hall or guild fortress. There will be default objectives and then there'll be objectives that relate to the activities that a Guild has participated in.
- For example, if a guild has recently become owners of a guild hall on a freehold, objectives might be related to capturing a quest item in or around the guild hall that is only visible to the warring guild. Capturing this objective may require channeling time.
- There might be objectives to steal one of the quest items that the guild may have received from completing a raid.
- There may be bounty objectives to kill a particular guild member. The target may have increased damage mitigation and/or health against the warring guild and can call for help.
- If you have a guild hall and a certain type of guild war is declared that is maybe a higher stakes kind of war, some of those objectives will be centralized either at your guild hall, at the opponent's guild hall; could be a progression step towards the guild hall. It might be a specific a period of time that accumulates into into a central battle at the guild hall for an objective. – Steven Sharif
Death penalties do not apply to objective-based events (such as caravans, guild wars, and node sieges).
Guild war mechanics
Guild war mechanics include.
- A war declaration period.
- Objective based components.
- Victory and surrender conditions.
- Guilds may war multiple guilds/alliances at a time.
- Guild wars operate outside the PvP flagging system.
- We're taking guild politics to a whole new direction in regards to playing those conflicts out. – Steven Sharif
The term "guild housing" refers to guild buildings and not guild owned player housing.
Guild fortresses are siegable guild halls within Ashes of Creation. These are different from nodes and castles.
- Guild fortresses are objectives in guild wars. These are contested on a regular basis.
- The developers will decide if guild fortresses will be implemented in the game or shelved.
The fortress design is also something that might be on the shelf. We haven't decided yet. We're going to look into it, but the idea behind the fortress is that this is a competitive kind of guild hall so to speak where you have to contend for it on a regular basis so to speak; or can be taken from you necessarily. Whereas the guild hall is a structure similar to freehold structure can only be taken through successful sieges against a node per-se are not taken but destroyed. – Steven Sharif
Five guild castles exist in Ashes of Creation.
- Castle sieges occur in the open world but may become instanced based on testing.
- There is one castle located on an island that is able to be affected by naval combat.
- Castles will initially be occupied by an NPC adversary. These are the primary antagonists in the storyline.
- These Castles are occupied when players arrive on Verra, and their current inhabitants will have to be removed before any player can claim them. Castles will be dangerous and high-level raid zones until they can be cleared, and the first group of players to do so will gain the Castle as their reward.
- Guilds have a period of time to level up in order to siege these castles.
- The attacking guilds need to fight the NPCs and kill a raid boss at the center of the castle.
- There will not be a relic to capture, instead whichever guild had highest contributing DPS against the raid boss will capture the castle.
- Castle nodes around NPC run castles will not be present.
Guild castles provide benefits and trophies for guilds that capture and control them.
- These benefits increase the longer a guild holds its castle.
There are levers and dials that are present to both the owners of Castles as well as the elected officials of Nodes that during their administration they have the ability to impact and influence the region around them. – Steven Sharif
Guild castles exert a King or Queen's presence over nodes within their region.
- Levy taxes for the purposes of defense (additional to taxes already imposed by node governments).
- Activate events and abilities that benefit node citizens under their rule.
- Establish special relationships with Mayors to help build up the three dedicated castle nodes.
- Unlock additional types of buildings in nodes.
- Exert control and pressure over one of the five economic regions.
The user interface will allow emblems, logos and symbols to be designed in-game.
- Guild emblems.
Emblem editor functionality is tentatively planned for Alpha-2.
Import of user-created image content (UCC) is being considered. This was previously not under consideration.
- An active GM staff will be monitoring user-created content. Users who upload inappropriate content will place their accounts in jeopardy.
- I know previously we had spoken about not allowing custom user images in the game, however I think we're leaning more now in the direction of allowing for custom user images. Absolutely well what it will be is the fact that we're a subscription game and if you want to jeopardize your account by doing the wrong thing with regards to custom users [images] then by all means you may do so and we'll have stringent practices in place to prevent that from actually being an issue. – Steven Sharif
- With regards to this UCC question, I think when you have an active an active GM team that you know you are you have directed to care take the product you're going to mitigate a lot of that functionality you don't want to see out of this custom image system. People who look to let's say meme the system are going to be met with the type of enforcement that they don't want to have on their account; and being a subscription-based product and being a risk versus reward and maybe a more old-school approach to character development and progression I think they're gonna take a significant risk in doing things that we don't want them to do, which will result in the jeopardy of their account. So I think that is not going to deter a hundred percent of things- I don't think you ever can deter a hundred percent of things unless we go away from custom images- but I think that we can achieve some parity of essentially enforcement versus infraction ratio that's going to be liveable for everybody. – Steven Sharif
Guild hall skins
Guild hall skins were rewards in the Kickstarter and Summer crowdfunding campaigns.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Interview, April 21, 2019 (45:45).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Podcast, August 18, 2018 (1:12:34).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 Livestream, February 28, 2020 (1:06:51).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 Podcast, August 4, 2018 (1:54:15).
- ↑ 7.0 7.1
- ↑ Livestream, May 22, 2017 (56:48).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:14:12).
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Livestream, May 19, 2017 (51:20).
- ↑ Podcast, April 23, 2018 (24:47).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4 Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:27:23).
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 Livestream, September 27, 2018 (58:17).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1
- ↑ Livestream, December 22, 2020 (1:08:41).
- ↑ Livestream, March 31, 2023 (1:24:21).
- ↑ Livestream, December 22, 2020 (1:13:51).
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 Livestream, May 22, 2017 (52:01).
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 Livestream, May 15, 2017 (17:20).
- ↑ Livestream, June 1, 2017 (35:42).
- ↑ Livestream, July 28, 2017 (18:07).
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 22.2 22.3 22.4 22.5 22.6 22.7 22.8 Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:39:02).
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 23.3 Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 Podcast, April 11, 2021 (49:40).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2021 (41:18).
- ↑ Blog: Creative Director's Letter, April 14 2021
- ↑ Livestream, October 14, 2022 (58:46).
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 31.2 31.3 Podcast, April 23, 2018 (21:55).
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:31:11).
- ↑ Livestream, November 17, 2017 (49:30).
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 Interview, May 11, 2018 (47:27).
- ↑ 35.0 35.1 35.2 35.3 Podcast, May 5, 2017 (52:32).
- ↑ Livestream, July 30, 2021 (53:15).
- ↑ 37.0 37.1 37.2 37.3 37.4 37.5 Livestream, May 17, 2017 (55:40).
- ↑ 38.0 38.1
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 Livestream, October 31, 2018 (47:44).
- ↑ 40.0 40.1 40.2 Interview, October 20, 2018 (3:35:54).
- ↑ Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:06:39).
- ↑ Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:06:15).
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 Livestream, July 26, 2019 (1:05:28).
- ↑ 44.0 44.1 Interview, July 8, 2020 (48:30).