- Hybrid combat will likely have true evasion skills relating to action-oriented combat and also have I-frames (invincibility frames) that apply to tab targeting.
- Q: Will there be evade frames/ I-frames on dodge?
- A: I would say it's a safe bet with regards to how we're approaching the hybrid combat that not only are gonna have true evasion skills that apply to more action-oriented skills that are coming your way, but you'll also have you know I-frame type skills that would apply perhaps to a tab targetable skills coming your way. So I think you're gonna have a healthy balance of both with it when it comes to skills that you can spec into. – Steven Sharif
- The developers have not yet decided on whether active blocking will be part of the MMO. They are currently leaning toward using more traditional buff-oriented universal damage mitigation but are also considering interaction between action-based blocking and a passive block stat from the waterfall stat system.
In APOC when we had the active shield stance- that was an active shield block action-based system; and when we collected design data on essentially the efficacy and essentially the accuracy of players who used that wasn't very high; and there is a concern at least on the front of implementing a action restricted type active shield block as opposed to what would traditionally be along the lines of activating a buff that grants a shield block rate adjustment and is universal on incoming damage- and interfaces with the stats- is really something that we're leaning towards in incorporating for the hybrid combat system. – Steven Sharif
This is something we're still actively iterating on and actively going to be testing in our hybrid system but you know as we're as we're doing that we are taking into consideration. Obviously we want action based components to also interact in some way shape or form with the waterfall stat system as well; and you know that seems like it might be an oxymoron from an action to tab sense, but it doesn't have to be. There can be components of action- so say for instance you could have a dual component where you activate that shield stance and if you accurately intercept an incoming projectile or a skill that's been initiated from the forward arc, you get 80% damage mitigation or 80% application of the physical defense of the shield; and if it comes from an area outside of that forward arc then you get a lesser bonus; and that essentially what would happen is let's say you take into account the stat of the shield's physical defense value, you apply it as a mitigating factor to the incoming damage, but in addition you augment that system with the waterfall stat that is responsible for shield damage mitigation or shield rate; and maybe you know the default skill says 80% damage mitigation from forward arc but that gets augmented up to 87% because of your stat essentially; and if it's not in your forward arc then it gets you know 50% efficacy- maybe it's 40 something percent. So just to give you kind of insight into what goes into kind of determining these skills and how they interact on an action-based front. – Steven Sharif
- There are abilities to counter interrupts.
- Some interrupts are better than others.
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Bulwark||Strikes your target and increases your block chance. Generates additional threat.||Increased damage. Increased duration. Increased block chance.||Increased damage. Increased duration. Increased block chance.|
|Meteor Storm||Summons forth a Meteor Storm, dropping 3 meteors in the target location. Each meteor deals large area damage upon impact.||Increase damage and number of impacts. Stun enemies as they are hit.||Increase damage and number of impacts. Stun enemies as they are hit.|
|Onslaught||Charge your target. Provides a small damage-absorbing shield. Generates additional threat.||Increased damage. Increased shielding. Knocks down target.||Increased damage. Increased shielding. Knocks up targets along the chargepath.|
|Rush||Rush toward a target; and upon reaching the target, deal an amount damage with a chance to knock the target down.||-||-|
Time to kill
- Time-to-kill in the Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale testing mode is adapted for a traditional battle royale setting.
- Time-to-kill in Ashes of Creation Apocalypse castle sieges will be slightly longer than in the battle royale.
- The developers do not want one-shots in the final MMORPG.
Gear inspection/ Threat assessment
- This will indicate the type of gear (cloth, leather, plate) that they are predominantly wearing.
- The border will indicate the level and quality of the tier set.
- This also indicates if the gear is enchanted.
- The developers believe that inspecting gear to obtain an exact equipment list or gear score may lead to "unwelcome behavior".
When you see a player approaching you and they're wearing a transmog you know you don't know if that person is a high damage mitigation against physical damage or against magical damage and essentially the way we overcome that is through you being able to target a player at a distance and they will have a buff that's present on them that you will see, which indicates that essentially the piece set that they are wearing. It is important for players to be able to ascertain from a threat assessment standpoint you know what they're going up against if they're actively checking that and that will be available. – Steven Sharif
Being by default able to see a person's "gear score" / equipment list... may cause unwelcome behavior.
- Crowd control won't likely be tab-targeted skills. This is to avoid imbalanced combos with skill shot (action targeted) abilities.
- Hard CC's are stuns, knock downs, sleeps, paralysis, some roots, some silences.
Diminishing returns in regards to crowd control and conditions like stun and sleep and slows and that kind of thing: Yes we will have absolutely diminishing returns. I think it's a necessary component to balance out classes that have high control ability. – Steven Sharif
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Javelin||Pulls your target to your location. Generates additional threat.||Increased damage. Now pulls up to 3 targets.||Increased damage. Now pulls up to 5 targets. Stuns targets.|
|Jump||Dash with cooldown.||Cooldown is replaced by charges with individual cooldown.||Drops a bear trap at the location the ranger dashed from.|
|Snare||Foot pin roots target in place.||Adds a bleed.||Snares after root expires.|
|Trap||Place a bear trap under the caster that holds them in place and does damage. Also holds targets in place and does damage.||Traps stun instead of root.||Place up to two traps.|
RNG is always going to play a role in Ashes of Creation whether that be in PvP or PvE, but one way to mitigate that is through the action system. The action system is going to be far less sort of dependent on those you know dice rolls and there'll be far more in your own hands. They won't ever completely eliminate that but it's a way for us to sort of reward skilled play versus sort of tactical strategies type play. – Jeffrey Bard
- Livestream, 17 May 2017 (1:05:11).
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (1:19:24).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:24:06).
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (1:34:12).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:19:50).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (43:30).
- Video, 9 February 2021 (0:37).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:14:26).
- Video, 23 December 2020 (1:46).
- Blog: Blazing the way - Mage Alpha One Preview.
- Video, 9 February 2021 (1:26).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:14:28).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (3:25:46).
- Livestream, November 22 2019 (5:51).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (9:10).
- Livestream, 28 August 2020 (2:07:26).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (53:08).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:28:10).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (1:34:55).
- Livestream, 28 July 2017 (23:20).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (25:56).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (45:12).
- Livestream, 9 February 2018 (28:17).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (37:57).
- Podcast, 4 August 2018 (1:11:05).
- Video, 9 February 2021 (1:02).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:14:38).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (45:52).
- PAX West 2017 Ranger poster.
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (44:49).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (47:29).
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:19:00).
- Livestream, 30 May 2017 (16:25).
- Livestream, 6 December 2018 (48:52).