(Redirected from Aggro abilities)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Threat (Aggro/Hate) is generated based on damage done, healing done, and modifiers on certain abilities.
- In PvE, aggro against player characters is based on a hate table.
- In PvP, aggro may force target switching to the Tank. Feedback on this will be sought during testing.
- If we think about PVP settings and the role of taunt or hate, a lot of times for tanks in the MMOs that I've played- where you have a PvE and PvP scenario- those types of hate generation abilities don't really have cross application into the PVP realm; and that can feel bad, because typically a tank build-out can be delegated around how I generate hate; and if it has no cross application into PvP then effectively you're creating a class composition that just is not relevant in half of the game, or in that area of the game. So when we talk about how we're going to apply hate to player targets or taunt to player targets, sometimes that can move into the realm of target switching, or the ability to demand that target on the tank in a PvP scenario as well. That's something that we need to get player feedback on, because there's a lot of strong emotions around that type of mechanic. I for one am a big proponent of that. I think it's interesting. I think that it plays into the role of the tank and that it it hits a class fantasy that most tank players want to feel. And I think however on the flip side of that, it is a source of control; and anytime you're under the effects of some source of control, it's going to be a feel bad moment for the target that's being controlled. So that's why I think it generates a lot of feelings on both sides of the aisle. – Steven Sharif
- Detargeting is the act of removing hate/threat/aggro from an enemy.
- There will be a taunt skill available at higher levels than what has been previewed so far for Alpha-2.
- Q: There were a lot of concerns about threat [in the Alpha-2 Tank preview video]. A lot of people didn't understand how holding threat works, because you weren't holding threat at some point.
- A: It's important to remember that these previews are done at a very low-level, so these are low-level skills and abilities that the archetypes have available to them; and so because of that, some of the functionality from these abilities they don't necessarily perform as well as you would want them to in a later stage of the game for that role. Now also keep in mind that balance is a perspective that needs to be incorporated also. So, threat is generated based off of a few factors: It's based off of damage done, it's based off of healing done, it's based off of threat generation modifiers that are on abilities. Now the tank in this situation I believe has two abilities that are going to generate additional threat. They have the slicing- the number two ability; and then they also have the shout ability. Both of those are creating additional threat. But with that being said, we need to tune probably those abilities up a little bit to contend with the DPS that's coming both from the ranger and with the heals that are coming out of the cleric. – Steven Sharif
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Grapple||Takes aim for a moment before hurling a hooked chain in a line, damaging the first target it contacts and immediately pulling them to the caster. The target suffers a tapering snare for 3 seconds.|
|Inciting Strikes||Slashes twice in a forward cone while adding additional threat.|
|Shield Assault||Bashes the target with your shield, dealing damage and applying the shaken condition. If the target is already suffering from the shaken condition, stun the target instead.|
Addons, DPS meters, and threat meters will not be supported.
- My decision is not to allow DPS meters nor add-ons. I feel we have adequate measures in place to prevent a majority of potential third party trackers. I know this subject has passionate voices on both sides and I respect the various opinions and positions many of you have expressed. – Steven Sharif
- The developers do not want addons/mods to be necessary to experience the game.
- The developers believe that DPS meters (parsers) can cause toxicity and other negative behaviors.
- What role DPS meters provide in online communities that I've noticed in the past my experiences: they can be a bit toxic, they can be a bit exclusionary; and that's why we don't want the DPS meters. – Steven Sharif
- Threat meters will also not be present in the game. There will instead be visual in-game queues to indicate threat.
- Meters in my opinion are a removal from the the game immersion; and what I mean by that isn't necessarily even the fact that having the meter takes you out of the game per-se, but it is- there's a lot of diegetic approach that you can take that doesn't rely on UI elements like a meter to indicate how you should do a thing; and when you're not utilizing those types of meters you can do different types of strategies and encounter design. You can have things that can be more subtle and aren't going to be immediately given away by a meter indicating something; and that's the type of gameplay that we think that I believe we want to emphasize; and for that reason, we're not going to be including threat meters. What we will be including however are animation indicators. We're going to be including ability indicators to show the tank "hey I might be losing aggro here." I'm observing in the world these immersive elements that are not tied to any specific type of UI, but indicate to me that this monster might be moving off to attack somebody else in a very immediate future; and now I should be using the abilities that I'm saving to regain that aggro, or to lock them down with a taunt or something. That to me is a bit more representative of the type of gameplay we want to to bring in our encounter design. – Steven Sharif
- There will be integrations available for streaming services such as Twitch and a few other services, but it's not something that will be exposed through an API just yet.
- The design of the game API is still under consideration.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Livestream, January 27, 2023 (1:04:34).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Livestream, February 24, 2023 (1:25:11).
- ↑ Livestream, October 16, 2017 (21:48).
- ↑ Video, January 27, 2023 (10:27).
- ↑ Video, January 27, 2023 (6:41).
- ↑ Video, January 27, 2023 (5:07).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Livestream, February 24, 2023 (1:19:29).
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Ashes of Creation Forums - No Damage Meter?
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Livestream, May 10, 2017 (20:02).
- ↑ Interview, October 20, 2018 (6:29).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:28:19).
- ↑ Interview, May 11, 2018 (49:03).
- ↑ Livestream, May 10, 2017 (21:41).