- User interface elements will utilize textures and icons to distinguish them, in addition to color.
- Users will be able to quickly customize UI elements on-the-fly to suit the PvX nature of the game and different styles of combat.
- Customization of UI elements, especially there on the HUD is a top desired aspect of our UI team. – Steven Sharif
- The user interface in Alpha-2 will have options to support hover-over casting and double-tap application of AoE effects on the cursor location.
- One of the the big goals of our UI team and our design team is to accommodate a whole host of different types of user options that they're capable of setting, because we all have different play styles; and in that regard those include things like hover-over casting, double-tap application of AoE effects on cursor location- just a lot of different options, because people like to play different ways. – Steven Sharif
- It's very important to note that in Alpha 1 you are not going to see a solid UI presentation and that's because our UI currently is still very placeholder very work-in-progress. – Steven Sharif
- Player customization options are paramount when it comes to UI. That is a very subjective thing that we've all become- our own flavors we like out of certain components of the UI; and so instead of trying to force down the throat of our players a specific approach to UI, why do that when we can develop options and customization that the players can influence themselves: That includes color compositions, it includes text sizes, includes bolded, it includes options of which informations you're choosing to display, scaling. – Steven Sharif
- Selecting different UI flavors.
- Resizing, moving, recoloring UI components.
- Text sizes, text boldness.
- Combat text, such as damage, criticals and crowd-control.
- Target reticles appearances may be offered.
- Combat targeting templates and decals may be offered.
- Adjusting screen shake.
- User interface scale adjustments may be provided.
- Nameplates can be hidden, resized, and customized.
- User interface settings are saved locally.
Various display elements can be toggled on or off.
- Character names.
- Guild names.
- Enemy names.
- Party names.
- Alliance members.
- We will not allow players to to adjust the density of foliage actors in the world. That will be universal... There are going to be areas that are more dense than others. It's meant to be part of the a part of the world that players can utilize for certain purposes, like hiding in for PvP. However, there will be collision with those foliage actors and the player capsule. So as you might see that bush moving and think, "Huh that's odd. That doesn't look like wind. There must be something there." And that's the kind of immersion that we want. – Steven Sharif
- Keybinds are not yet adjustable (in Alpha-1).
- Action targeting can be toggled via a key to enable mouse targeting via a reticle that feels similar to a third-person action game.
- Players will be able to trigger skills with combinations of different keystrokes, and reuse the same keys as part of different combinations.
- Ashes of Creation Apocalypse included hotkey customization.
The issue with macros is that from an anti cheat metric perspective it's difficult to define what a macro is against a script. And in order to catch all scripts sometimes you have to prevent the macro usage. So really that's a that's a data issue. If we allow for macros then we lose our ability to precisely ban script users, botters. – Steven Sharif
- Things will render in the world out of your current vision. While the quality may change between high end and low end systems, and what settings players select, it's important to us to have the game render in an effective manner, that also adds to everyone's immersion while in the game. – Cody Peterson
- Adjustments will be provided for screen shake and other settings that may be nauseating to some users.
- First-person point-of-view may be able to be achieved by zooming the camera, but the game is fundamentally third-person.
- We don't have the first-person zoom in because when you get into first-person there's a different animation set required for the holding of the weapon: The hands that you see in front of you; and we don't have those animations. So we're really focusing on third-person. – Steven Sharif
- Q: What kind of camera distance is Intrepid using for fights? (WoW vs FF14)
- A: Closer to FF14. We want people to have a wide range of view, especially since our battles will be very large. We want people to be able to visually access their surroundings. – Margaret Krohn
- There will likely be a hotkey that when held down will allow free camera movement in action mode.
- In future the user will have the ability to choose from different reticle appearances.
- Camera field-of-view (FoV) is customizable.
- Camera mechanics are similar to ArcheAge (hold mouse buttons to move the camera).
My decision is not to allow DPS meters nor add-ons. I feel we have adequate measures in place to prevent a majority of potential third party trackers. I know this subject has passionate voices on both sides and I respect the various opinions and positions many of you have expressed. – Steven Sharif
- The developers do not want addons/mods to be necessary to experience the game.
- The design of the game API is still under consideration.
- There will be integrations available for streaming services such as Twitch and a few other services, but it's not something that will be exposed through an API just yet.
- The developers believe that parsers (DPS meters) can have negative effects.
|Tavern voice chat.||Yes.||Maybe - based on testing.|
|Marketplaces/Stall districts.||-||Maybe - based on testing.|
|Dungeons (limited rooms).||-||Maybe - based on testing.|
|Points of interest.||-||Maybe - based on testing.|
- Crop rotations.
- Player stalls (Kiosks).
- Mayoral duties.
- Pay taxes.
- Fishing (potentially).
- Parlor games (Tavern games).
- World event notifications.
- Node citizenship notifications.
- Player housing notifications.
- Guild leadership tools such as calendar notifications is a possible feature.
- Specific dates that you can have running as reminders in your guild UI, this will also be something that I would like to be available on the mobile companion app as well. So essentially you can receive notifications via a calendar update on guild events that the leaders or the officers have the ability to pin within the game will also give you notifications on the mobile app as well. That's my intention at least. – Steven Sharif
- Some of it may come post-launch... but we do want people to interact with the game on their phones when they're away from the computer; and we're going to do as much as we can to make that cool. – Jeffrey Bard
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (30:36).
- Livestream, July 18, 2017 (52:42).
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:12:50).
- Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:27:01).
- Video, March 31, 2022 (32:40).
- Livestream, October 28, 2022 (3:34).
- Livestream, May 5, 2017 (20:02).
- Livestream, December 2, 2022 (1:00:30).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (29:09).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter, October 16 2020
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (5:06).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (48:03).
- Video, June 30, 2022 (16:39).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (26:11).
- Livestream, June 25, 2021 (1:31:47).
- Video, June 30, 2022 (24:18).
- Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:22:48).
- Livestream, December 2, 2022 (1:03:28).
- Livestream, September 3, 2017 (58:29).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:10:19).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (38:30).
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:10:22).
- Interview, August 8, 2018 (27:38).
- Interview, August 8, 2018 (27:53).
- Intrepid Studios Snapchat, 2018-11-30.
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (21:24).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (18:04).
- Livestream, May 17, 2017 (35:41).
- Forums - Livestream Q&A 2022-08-26.
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (52:08).
- Interview, August 17, 2018 (4:31).
- Reddit Q&A, 2019-01-8.
- Video, September 30, 2022 (17:00).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (59:21).
- Ashes of Creation Forums - No Damage Meter?
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (20:02).
- Interview, October 20, 2018 (6:29).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (21:41).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (49:03).
- Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:28:19).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (43:27).
- Interview, July 18, 2020 (1:10:24).
- The mighty beard!
- Livestream, January 18, 2018 (30:18).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (11:00).
- Livestream, May 4, 2018 (54:09).
- Livestream, May 9, 2017 (28:57).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (9:49).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (11:53).
- Podcast, November 15, 2020 (52:50).