- Quarriors are able to be domesticated and used on Freehold farms to gather gemstones from the ground using their long tongues. These gems suffuse into the creature's shell, where they can be removed by their owners. Removing the gems allows the quarrior to continue to eat.
The warrior of the quarry. None are his equal.
Entry from the Kaelar Bestiary: Amidst the strange landscapes beyond the portal, there has proven to be no shortage of hostile wildlife, though fortunately a select few have defied this notion. Among them is a curiously docile creature clad in a veritable suit of stony armor. After observing its rampant propensity for excavation using its long claws, the researchers investigating it dubbed the creature a 'quarrior.'
The creature's most notable features, however, are the myriad sparkling jewels that dot the surface of the quarrior's stone plates. This is said to be a natural byproduct of its diet, composed of a wide selection of geodes. Extraordinarily resilient teeth and a potent stomach acid serve to break down the minerals into a more amicable form of sustenance. Excess nutrients left unused by the body condense and form the bright jewels each quarrior possesses.
Despite the seemingly unrefined nature of the quarrior’s jewels, they harbor an unmistakable lustre that quickly rose in demand. Upon learning of the existence of these potentially lucrative beasts, more than a few forward-thinking poachers set out to extract their fortunes off the backs of the unlucky quarriors they found. While possessed of a highly volatile temperament when cornered, the quarrior is ultimately not a combative creature by nature. Many fell, and soon the markets bustled over the bids of bloodsoaked gems.
However, such niceties, like so many things, are finite. A particularly wealthy nobleman took scope of the situation. Whether through pity for such a creature or seeing the opportunity to expand his wealth further, he took it upon himself to safeguard the creatures. With a sizeable congregation of quarriors bought for no small sum of coins, the nobleman was intrigued by the creature's unusual docility, and soon wondered if such a thing could not be domesticated as one would a cat or dog. Eventually, his theory would yield merit, and his would be the very first quarrior farm. Many soon followed, and the quarrior now finds itself in a position of high esteem, not only for its gems, but its natural ability to excavate, proving to be a remarkable boon in carving civilization from the rock and stone of the new world.
- Expeditionary pre-order pack: Jul 2018 - Aug 2018
- Intrepid pre-order pack: Jul 2018 - Aug 2018
- Voyager pre-order pack: Jul 2018 - Aug 2018
All skin cosmetic items are cosmetic items only and do not grant the user any other benefit. The lore text is flavor text, and background of the creatures and items in the world of Verra.
- Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means. Cosmetics achievable in-game will be on-par, and in the case of legendary skins, even more elaborate than shop items.
I want to make sure that equitable cosmetics both from a quantity and quality standpoint are achievable through in-game achievements. Time, effort should let you be happy with what you can accomplish. – Steven Sharif
- There will be legendary cosmetics that are only achievable in-game that will never be offered in the cosmetic shop.
- There will not be recolors or material swaps on the monthly cosmetics as a means to populate in-game achievements.
From an armor standpoint, we cut armor sets up into many different pieces. These pieces can sometimes be used as part of other sets, that may include helmets, wrists, gloves etc. So while you will not see an achievable white version of the corvid castigator set in the game for example, you may see its shoulder piece used in another set, or its leggings, or wrist piece used in another set (not every piece as to form the whole set, but perhaps a couple pieces). This would be difficult to notice at first glance, due to the material, texture and color variation used, but this modular approach to content creation makes achieving a wide variety of looks achievable for an MMORPG of our size. – Steven Sharif
- Cosmetics can be used by all races but there may be slight variations to make them work with the body builds of each race.
- There will not be mascot looking/furry cosmetics.
It's important to remember, Ashes is a NO-BOX COST subscription only game, with an optional cosmetic marketplace. This achieves a few things from a monetization model. Having a lower barrier to entry for players to try the game when they don't have to fork out $60 for the box price is good, our box price is 0$. This also places an emphasis on the game's retention and our continual updates and content creation to keep players playing and staying subscribed (a put your money where your mouth is sort of philosophy for us as a company). It also means players don't have to spend $60 everytime there is an expansion. – Steven Sharif
Is there an answer that satisfies everyone? Nope. And that's ok. We are open and transparent with our philosophies and business model. You know what you are getting with Ashes and to me, given my experiences in other games, it is a nice breath of fresh air. – Steven Sharif
- Equitable cosmetics, both from a quantity and quality standpoint, are achievable through in-game means.
- Nothing in the cosmetic store will be pay to win.
Nothing in our shop will ever be pay to win as we believe this practice greatly hurts the MMORPG genre.
- Cash shop cosmetics will offer a diverse selection of unique looks.
I want to incentivize purchase in the cosmetic shop for sustainability of what expansions we have intended, since we are not a box cost. I want to incentivize purchase by offering limited items: limited time, limited quantity, so you have confidence that when you purchase them, they won't be offered later on in some other way. – Steven Sharif
- All cosmetic store items will be non-tradeable. There will be no gifting mechanism for cosmetic items.
- Skins are cosmetic items that do not grant the user any benefit.
- Skins are only be able to be applied to things that have already been earned, crafted or found within Ashes of Creation.
- Flavor text relates to the lore and background of creatures and items in the world of Verra.
- Costumes do not include any weapons pictured.
- Caravan skins change the appearance of an in-game mount and in-game caravan that are hooked up to each other.
- Blog: Rocky Beginnings
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:01:58).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Quarrior.
- Livestream, 27 September 2019 (45:00).
- Video, 30 July 2019 (0:00).
- Rime and Regal
- Ashes of Creation Reddit - Heat and Harmony.
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (48:52).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (58:29).
- Livestream, 25 July 2020 (1:53:46).
- Livestream, 28 June 2019 (1:25:55).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:42:55).
- Podcast, 15 November 2020 (49:02).
- Ashes of Creation cosmetic store.
- Interview, 11 May 2018 (32:36).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Quarrior.
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (56:02).
- Livestream, 6 December 2018 (41:43).
- Livestream, 30 November 2020 (58:24).